Koodo Community

Community

Solved

One thousand percent increase in data usage in 4 hours, while not using phone!

My data usage spiked while I was at a coding class in Toronto yesterday morning, from an average of 2MB per day to 2000M in a mere 4 hours. I wasn't even using the phone. It sat in my purse, eating money and draining the battery until I checked it during my lunch break. The phone was dead, so I charged it after lunch off my laptop and when I turned it back on, alarm bells were going off everywhere! Koodo had sent two texts with data warnings, etc., but I had the volume turned off because I was in a class. I had turned off the wifi because I didn't want to drain the battery while it searched for wifi. This had happened while I was at a farm and didn't want it to happen again. I left it on solely for receiving calls and texts from my family in case of an emergency. I didn't use it to Google anything (checked an address once on the way to the seminar, but then closed the browser and locked the screen). I shouldn't have to pay an extra fifty bucks for something I didn't do. Could the phone have been hacked? Could the internet have been doing bizarre things while I wasn't using the phone? Coincidentally, I was at a one day seminar hosted by a place called HackerYou.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
It sounds like you have automatic app and software updates turned on. 1. Go to Settings > Data Usage and scroll to the bottom to see who the offender was. You can actually disable background data on those individual apps to prevent this from happening by selecting them. 2. Go to Play Store, Settings (pull the menu from the left side), and select "Update apps over WiFi only". This will stop them from eating your data. 3. Go to Settings > Device > About phone > Software Update. Select "Download updates over WiFi only"' 4. Call customer service at 1-866-995-6636 and press "0" a few times to get through to an agent. Discuss this scenario with them and see what they can help you out with. P.S. Also mention Jonathan, a Mobile Master on the Koodo community, is the best guy ever.
When I go to Data Usage, all I get is a flow chart showing the spike. When I first saw the alerts yesterday I pressed all kinds of buttons, stopping apps and clearing caches like there was no tomorrow. I think I'll take it in to the boys at our local Koodo booth to make sure I haven't turned on something stupid. In the meantime, I'll adjust the settings as you suggested. Thank you, Jonathan.
Jonathan, the phone is already set to "Update apps over WiFi only" and the phone is already set to "Download updates over WiFi only." That is why I think it is so weird.
Userlevel 7
On the Data Usage chart, scroll to the bottom. It will show you which apps/programs ate your data.
I see, my fat fingers didn't do the job. It says Internet is using up data. But I thought I stopped it. I see at the bottom, it gives the option of restricting background data and using wifi if available. Should I check that?
Userlevel 7
Sandra Cormier wrote:

I see, my fat fingers didn't do the job. It says Internet is using up data. But I thought I stopp...

Do it for the apps you don't want using data in the background. I would check your Internet/Browser app and/or Chrome. You may have left a webpage with video or something constantly running open. Close Tabs when you leave your browser to prevent this from happening.
Sandra Cormier wrote:

I see, my fat fingers didn't do the job. It says Internet is using up data. But I thought I stopp...

Also, even if I check the box mentioned above, I don't see why the Internet decided to go all ninja on me during those particular four hours, when it never did before.
Sandra Cormier wrote:

Yes, I closed the tabs, and I don't run video from my phone in general. Thank you, Jonathan. I'll take it in to make sure all my settings are okay.
Sandra Cormier wrote:

Well, after over an hour on the phone, I talked to a nice lady and then a nice man, and they waived the extra fee and told me to be more careful next time. However, they did not know what incurred that terrific spike in data usage. I may be computer savvy, but definitely not phone savvy. Hopefully, that will not happen again!