Koodo Community

Community

Question

Old Tab stopped ?

I have an old tab. I was advised this tab will stop growing. Do I get a 10% reduction off my bill now, or is this away for Koodo to increase my bill by 10%

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Steve,

Were you receiving a 10% discount or your tab was growing 15% per month? I think you're mixing two concepts. It's one or the other! If Koodo told you the tour tab will stop growing, I believe you're talking about a positive tab that you were gaining each month.
My tab was growing monthly

I believe by 10% of my bill.
My plan is $63.60 monthly which 10% ($6.36)  would go to my tab. It hit $150.00 in June I think and now they are no longer contributing to my tab. That is $6.36 that is now not going to me!
Userlevel 6
Steve Hill wrote:

My plan is $63.60 monthly which 10% ($6.36)  would go to my tab. It hit $150.00 in June I th...

They have stopped the positive tab program. Your balance has been converted to a $150 credit off a new device.
Steve Hill wrote:

My plan is $63.60 monthly which 10% ($6.36)  would go to my tab. It hit $150.00 in June I th...

So I no longer get the $6.00 contributed to my tab, therefore when they converted my tab I loose that $6.00 bonus a month. In other words I am now paying $6.00 more per month!  Not a great loyalty program considering I've been with them since probably the first year they started. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a company that wants to treat loyal customers properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

Once you reached $150.00, the accumulation stopped on the former plan as well, so no real change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

Out of curiosity what does your current plan include? Minutes and data wise.
Userlevel 6
Steve Hill wrote:

Under the old system, the positive tab balance maxed out at $150, so you lost nothing. In fact, if you weren't at $150 yet, then you GAINED credit. You now have a $150 device credit.
Userlevel 5
Steve Hill wrote:

That is correct, under the old tab system, 10% of your bill went to pay off your phone/tab.  When your phone was paid off, you continued to have 10% of your bill added to a "positive" tab balance which you can use to lower the cost of purchasing a new phone as a upgrade.  Once this amount reached $150, no more contributions from your monthly bill were added.  This was all stated in the terms and conditions of the agreement that both you and the Koodo rep signed.  3-4 years ago Koodo eliminated that program. What Koodo kind of did was reduce the plan monthly charges by 10% and then added a monthly tab charge to your bill if you purchased a phone.  Koodo has always honoured the agreements concerning the positive tabs.  You can still use that positive tab amount to upgrade your phone and reduce the purchase price by up to $150. the remainder of the purchase price of the phone can then go onto the "New Tab" program. You have lost nothing that you were promised when you signed up under the old tab program, you actually have a bit of an advantage to most if you do have a positive tab because you can still use it to reduce the price of a phone if you wish to upgrade.
Userlevel 6
Steve Hill wrote:

$150 as a positive tab discount is pretty good, especially given the great deals that the Koodo tab has to offer 😃 No other carrier offers this to my knowledge.
Steve Hill wrote:

I signed up with Koodo years ago because of #1. There was no contract, and I could build a positive tab NOT FROM AN ADDITIONAL COST, but a percentage of what I was billed monthly. It took many years of being with Koodo to get into positive balances, a few times. Now, what they call 'their tab' is an additional amount added to the bill. Apples to apples it is now COSTING ME 10% more per month. Don't try and sell me on what I had. I have 2 carriers that can supply same package as Koodo less the OLD TAB for less money.  Why should I stay with someone who I have been loyal to, got them several customers, for years, when they are not showing loyalty back?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

Positive Tab portion was contributed by Koodo. You didn't pay for it.
You are paying your plan and Koodo added percentage of your plan/bill to your Tab.
Once your Tab hit $150 max, then they stop adding it.  You can use your positive Tab to buy a new phone.
It doesn't cost you any extra after you reached your $150 Tab.
Steve Hill wrote:

And in the past if u opted out of the 'contribution' they would reduce monthly bill by 10%.  Why not now?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

As stated by Daniel Hyrb: "[i]What Koodo kind of did was reduce the plan monthly charges by 10% and then added a monthly tab charge to your bill if you purchased a phone."

Since 3 to 4 years have passed, prices today are not comparable to those of your grandfathered plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

They changed their Tab system few years ago...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

I have 2 carriers that can supply same package as Koodo less the OLD TAB for less money.  Why should I stay with someone who I have been loyal to, got them several customers, for years, when they are not showing loyalty back?

Then, by all means, vote with your wallet. That is one of the great things about a free market.
Steve Hill wrote:

Already said I can get same plan cheaper by 2 other carriers.  I guess I'm moving.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

Curious, what plan do you currently have?
Userlevel 6
Steve Hill wrote:

@Steve Hill because it's all been replaced with a base plan plus tab deal. Also, I don't think the 10% of the monthly plan paying down the phone per month deal is in compliance with the CRTC. Since Shaw acquired WIND (and renamed it to Freedom), they were the last carrier to switch to a conventional phone deal where each month knocks down 1/24th of the phone subsidy agreement.
For an overly simplified example, say you had a $100 monthly plan, and you took a $240 phone. Each month, 10% of your plan knocks $10 off that $240 phone, then on month 24 you make the final 10% ($10) installment, and the phone is paid off.
Today, $100 per month could get you a much more expensive phone, or you could pay a lot less per month to pay down $10 per month towards a $240 phone.
Under the old system, you could take say a $500 phone on a $60 monthly plan. Each month you'd knock $6 off that $500, meaning on month 23, you'd still have a device balance of $500=138=$362.
There have been other various trends we could explore. Talk and Text rate plans are cheaper today than before. Most Canadian wireless subscribers can easily afford unlimited nation-wide calling.
Data has become more expensive, but also much faster. Overage rates are far more expensive now that before.
I never took a phone from a provider with the 10% deal because it'd take you forever to pay off the device balance. Now, with a transparent tab system, I frequently take phones on 2 yr agreements :D
400 daytime minutes, free evenings / weekends, 2 g data, Canada wide long distance and of course call wait,forward, voicemail. $60.00
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

400 daytime minutes, free evenings / weekends, 2 g data, Canada wide long distance and of course ...

Steve, Koodo currently offers 500min and 2GB of data for $55.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve Hill wrote:

400 daytime minutes, free evenings / weekends, 2 g data, Canada wide long distance and of course ...

Gee, that's available on Koodo right now, albeit with 500 minutes, for $55!
Userlevel 6
Steve Hill wrote:

Plus it's almost 10% cheaper per month!
I used my positive tab and add a minus tab to buy my phone. Remainder I would pay out.  Last phone I bought direct from manufacturer (One Plus)