Koodo Community
Solved

Non-Koodo S9 - Does this have WiFi calling capabilities?

• 17 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi folks,

I'm new to the community and have found all the threads very helpful - please accept my thanks in advance!

I recently switched to Koodo for it's Wi-Fi calling capability to deal with my condo being a reception dead-zone. My S9+ is an unlocked Canadian version and has Wi-Fi calling capabilities on the phone itself. When I tried to enable it following the steps that Koodo has posted, I get an error message that there were issues adding the service to my account. After waiting for an hour being on hold, the support person told me that my phone isn't from Koodo, and thus, is not going to work with Wi-Fi calling.

From what I've found on these threads, I'm a little confused. Is the support agent correct that a non-Koodo S9 will NOT have Wi-Fi calling?

If that's true, I will be cancelling my account with Koodo.
icon

Best answer by Carline Koodo 19 February 2019, 22:56

I re-read that thread many times and I'm a little confused.

One of the users stated
"Thanks for the update. I emailed Koodo about this just now and hope they will do the same to me. I also have an unlocked GS9. "

and another user with also what seems to be my same problem had it resolved due to the problem being an account provisioning issue.

If emailing support directly is the way to go, I don't even know how to contact them via email directly. Help?

Also, this phone has not used Wi-Fi calling before. I did the *#272*IMEI# thing to switch it to Koodo already.

To have the feature enable, you have to be using a VoLTE compatible phone purchased from Koodo. Bring your own phone (BYOD) from other carriers will not be compatible with this feature. Click here for more information: https://www.koodomobile.com/help/voLTE I have added Koodo VoLTE Access to your account but there is no way of guarantee as to know if it will work unfortunately.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
If you used the phone with another provider before, Wi-Fi Calling will only work with that provider until you change the CSC. It is easy, but it will erase all data on the phone. You can find the way to do it online.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is a similar thread here with a report of success with CSC code on Samsung S9 https://community.koodomobile.com/android-81490/galaxy-s9-wi-fi-calling-and-volte-7787643

The agent was correct that Koodo only promised to support devices bought from them.

One of the users stated
"Thanks for the update. I emailed Koodo about this just now and hope they will do the same to me. I also have an unlocked GS9. "

and another user with also what seems to be my same problem had it resolved due to the problem being an account provisioning issue.

If emailing support directly is the way to go, I don't even know how to contact them via email directly. Help?

Also, this phone has not used Wi-Fi calling before. I did the *#272*IMEI# thing to switch it to Koodo already.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The customer with the with success report had the Canadian S9 model (not from Koodo) and he/she should have the "VoLTE Access" add-on. I would suggest you try to check your account first if you had the add-on and try to update your S9 to the latest firmware.
Userlevel 1

One of the users stated

To have the feature enable, you have to be using a VoLTE compatible phone purchased from Koodo. Bring your own phone (BYOD) from other carriers will not be compatible with this feature. Click here for more information: https://www.koodomobile.com/help/voLTE I have added Koodo VoLTE Access to your account but there is no way of guarantee as to know if it will work unfortunately.

One of the users stated

THANK YOU A MILLION!!!! IT WORKS NOW!!!!!!
I did not buy my phone via koodo and was able to activate wifi calling, but glad you got it sorted out.