Koodo Community

Community

Solved

No Bilingual Keyboard on Moto G? Surely you blague!

I've looked this one up and still have yet to find a workable solution. I need to be able to type in either French or English - and would prefer to be able to do it on the fly, and with the least number of mistakes possible. So far, all I've found is a rather arduous process of changing the input/spell check languages over in the settings. Best solution I've found yet is to have the keyboard in English and the voice input in French. Surely there's an easier way for those of us who daily use two languages?

18 replies

Userlevel 7
The nice thing about Android is there are alternatives to almost anything. Go on the Play Store and search for keyboards. I believe Swiftkey supports multiple language inputs simultaneously and has some of the best prediction/correction algorithms around since it learns from the way you type. During the app setup procedure it will show you how to make it your default keyboard and how to install languages but if you need additional help don't hesitate to ask.
Userlevel 7
Hi again Flea 😛, So if you're wanting the keyboard to remain in English and have the voice input accept French here's how you do it. Settings -Language & Input - Text to speech output - then on the next page you'll see under preferred engine click on the little settings icon beside the Google Text to speech engine - select language and you can choose French as the primary language for it. It will save automatically. Next thing to do is simply test it and go from there. Hope that helps answer your question:)
Okay then!   Swiftkey is loading.   I'll let you know my opinion on it once I've tested it out a bit.  Thanks, Mr. Jonathan.

I'd already set up the voice/keyboard difference as described by Mr. Gunn -- tho I'm sure someone else out there as new to this whole process as I will find the instructions useful!   🙂

Fact is I can get blabby in both languages and would prefer to be able to type my French missives rather than talk them....    especially since the only French option is from France, which is a very different pronunciation than mine, and requires a heapload of modification thus far. 

Userlevel 7
Flea wrote:

Okay then!   Swiftkey is loading.   I'll let you know my opinion on it once I've tested...

The Swiftkey keyboard should help in this instance, as Jonathan mentioned above as it works really well. I've got the keyboard on my phone and definitely try it and see if that works out better for you. 🙂
Wow!   That's quite the pleasant experience!    I started my test by typing in french and it recognized everything and gave stellar suggestions.   Mid-stream I switched to english.   It took just one word to realize I was no longer typing in french...   again anticipating even my next word with rather eerie accuracy.

The only thing that worries me is the rather scary list of permissions and accesses the app has on my personal data - which seems a bit intrusive.    I wouldn't normally agree to permissions even half as vast as those on this list!!!    
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flea wrote:

Wow!   That's quite the pleasant experience!    I started my test by typing in fre...

Hee hee don't worry about permissions... It's been around for years. I use swiftkey all the time, I'm bilingual too. So easy to switch languages without even thinking about it!
Flea wrote:

Wow!   That's quite the pleasant experience!    I started my test by typing in fre...

It really is! This might be the easiest it's ever been for me. Thanks for the reassurance though... the list made my eyes POP. And I don't mean in the lovely way that mascara does. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flea wrote:

Gah, you shouldn't have said that, now my vivid imagination is painting all sorts of cruel images in my mind....... 😛 I agree it's almost creepy how Swiftkey knows what I am about to type before I do... I'm almost thinking of hiring it to do Facebook status updates for me 😃
Flea wrote:

Haha. Sorry about that, Sophia. Please replace anything cruel and gory images with a cute fluffy surprised cartoon character. Reality needn't apply here.
Flea wrote:

And you'll be glad to know that Swiftkey has been instrumental in assisting me in graduating from "painfully slow and inaccurate one fingered pecker" to "two thumbed accurate word picker". This has done wonders for my self-esteem, which was starting to wane a titch with the default keyboard.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flea wrote:

Good!!!!!!!! And thank you for clarifying the eye ball thingie 😃 I went from

to 

Which I'm sure is a huge improvement 😃
Flea wrote:

Hahaha! Actually the first one makes me wonder if my front-camera is on and you all are spying on me. The second one is how I see myself. Always! I'm now dubbing you "SwiftSophia" for having Just Known.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flea wrote:

As long as you call Jonathan Swift (see what I did there?) because he was the first to suggest it 😃 Thanks for all the fun, I'm bowing out of this thread now haha!
Userlevel 7
A lot of app permissions seem invasive but most are needed to access the system at that level to provide the proper app functionality.
Egads. Believe it or not, I've got another question here.... 😛 Love this keyboard. Really do. I do wonder, however, how to access the microphone, which I can see sitting in a disabled state in the background of the comma key. So far I'm just getting a bunch of commas.... I'd kind of hate to lose that function since we were still in a bit of a newlywed phase together. (at least I thought so. it hadn't really said if the feeling was mutual)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flea wrote:

Egads. Believe it or not, I've got another question here.... 😛 Love this keyboard. Reall...

Long press it, Flea 🙂 After about 3 seconds the mike will pop up!
Flea wrote:

Egads. Believe it or not, I've got another question here.... 😛 Love this keyboard. Reall...

So it does! Thanks for introducing me to the Long Press! Now to change my voice-language back to English. "What do you know -- It works!!" was recognized as "Wall-E énorme". Now scat!!! You've got other peeps to save!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flea wrote:

....... and a hubby to tend to - speaking of buttons to push. I do this craziness in my spare time you know. Have a great day and thanks for all the "laffs" 🙂