Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Nexus 5 service issue

Hi, I just got my Nexus 5 from a Koodo retailer. I have problem with maintaining a signal. My other phone gets consistently 2 bars (Samsung Slyde), but the N5 get an empty triangle most of the time, sometimes the placeholders for the 4 bars are indicated, and one time I noticed 1 bar. I have G3 selected, and searching for network is a hit and miss. I have seen Rogers, Telus and Koodo on occasion. I am disappointed about the sensitivity of the phone, but maybe the settings are wrong? Advice appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Try rebooting the phone or toggling airplane mode on and off.
Daniel Kim wrote:

Try rebooting the phone or toggling airplane mode on and off.

Tried rebooting several times, no change. My signal strength is between -111 and -113 right now. Have not tried airplane mode... will try
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Where are you? Do you have good reception? You mentioned your other phones gets consistently 2 bars... Here is a link for Koodo's coverage map http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/coverage-maps Even if map show your area is covered, it might get difficult to receive a good signal because of your surroundings.
Mayumi wrote:

Where are you? Do you have good reception? You mentioned your other phones gets consistently 2...

Close to Burns Lake, BC. Signal has always been poor here. Funny enough I have a Sierra Hotspot modem for Internet and am getting -89 dBm, 4 bars. That signal is coming from the same tower. I am on 4G for the modem.
Follow-up. I was just talking to Koodo technical support, and the only option I was presented with was to return the phone. No other testing. Very disappointing. Apparently my setting of LTE (recommended) was wrong, that is only for Internet. I had no idea. But I have tried 3G as well, and no change. My signal is between -111 to -113 dBm. I suspect the phone's sensitivity is worse than my other phone, which had 2 bars so the advice to return it is probably a good one. Now I have to look for a different phone. I wonder if there are data available about different phones sensitivity? I will ask this question as a new topic if I don't find it has been asked.
OK, there are numerous threads about Nexus 5 lousy reception, but I discovered last night some peculiar behavior. My signal indicator is an empty triangle or the 4 indicator shows, this is on 3G. This has been the case since I got the phone. I got a call last night, and when i answered the phone I noticed that the signal indicator toggled between 1 and 2 bars during the call. When the call ended it went back to the indicated 4 bars . I live in a remote area and my old phone had 2 bars almost all the time. This odd behavior indicates to me a software bug. I can not really believe that the tower increased the output just to accommodate my low signal. Any others noticed something similar?
Userlevel 7
gml wrote:

OK, there are numerous threads about Nexus 5 lousy reception, but I discovered last night some pe...

I've noticed in some areas with my Nexus 4 (different phone, same software) that signal does tend to drop lower in certain spots where it normally gets full signal, even my Samsung Galaxy S2X gets better signal at times, I'd recommend trying a factory reset to see if that fixes any bugs in the software (this is if you haven't tried already). I've done a factory reset before and it seemed to fix my issues. Just my two cents 🙂