Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Nexus 5 Reception

Hi, I just got a Nexus 5 from kijiji, it does not seem to have any damages or water damage however I am getting an orange reception bar for my network and a wifi. At home I cant even connect to the wifi. My service however worked perfectly well on my previous phone Samsung galaxy s2x Any help is much appreciated.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Try restarting your router and see if the problem persists
I will give that a try when I get home however wouldnt my mobile network be unaffected by the wifi reception?
Userlevel 4
David Park wrote:

I will give that a try when I get home however wouldnt my mobile network be unaffected by the wif...

That is correct.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just quickly check and make sure your phone was not reported lost or stolen. http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/
I just checked and it says it was not reported as lost or stolen
Could it be a SIM card problem?
Userlevel 3
Try a factory reset on it. Seems as though the wifi in the phone is not functioning like it should. Can you connect to any other wifi hotspots other then at your house?
I have tried factory resetting it multiple times however it cannot connect in my home I can connect to my school wifi for a limited time however it is very slow. For my home it keeps stating authentication error and the bar drastically decreases when I am about to connect then goes back to max when it is not connecting to it. Also is the bars on the signal strength for wifi and the mobile network suppose to be orange?
Userlevel 7
David Park wrote:

I have tried factory resetting it multiple times however it cannot connect in my home I can conne...

Is it running the stock firmware or is it rooted and running other firmware. Settings...about... what baseband and kernel are you running? Is there an app on it called Super User or SuperSU?
David Park wrote:

I have tried factory resetting it multiple times however it cannot connect in my home I can conne...

Apparently he did root it but it was unrooted before sold to me. As for the baseband it is M8974A-1.0.25.0.17 And the Kernal is 3.4.0-g9eb14ba android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com#1 Tue Oct 22 15:43:47 PDT 2013
Userlevel 3
David Park wrote:

Do you know for sure if the security password for your wifi is correct?do you know how to login to your router to verify that the WPa or WEP key is correct?
David Park wrote:

Yes I'm positive the wifi password is correct just to confirm I deleted the registered wifi on my previous phone and reconnected it and it worked perfectly okay I'm at a loss for what to do
David Park wrote:

Didnt see the last part for Chad there is no super user or super su
Userlevel 3
David Park wrote:

Geez I think you've exhausted our resources. I def think there's an issue with your cell phone based on the troubleshooting steps you've taken.
David Park wrote:

Thank you for your help! Just one last question I've been seeing more images of this but my signal bar is white on the top (but orange when I look through the notification) that indicates it is bad reception correct?)
Userlevel 7
David Park wrote:

If someone with a stock Koodo sold nexus 5 could check the baseband and make sure they match. You may have a baseband (modem) from outside of North America. There's no way to know without checking a stock unit.
David Park wrote:

Is there no solution for this then? Apparently it worked quite well on Bell's network
Userlevel 7
David Park wrote:

Do you have the box? The should be a code on it d820 or d821. 0= north America 1 = European
David Park wrote:

the phone and the box say the model is d820 so its should be the american one
Userlevel 7
David Park wrote:

Hopefully someone will chime in with the correct baseband version so we can be sure wait wasn't altered. If not..you may be looking at the reason for the sale of the phone.
Badge +4
The D820/D821 KRT16M modems have matching md5 sums.This means D821 users can flash D820 modems. Since they are the same modem, you could try flashing a different radio image to see which performs best. I don't know your level of technical expertise, but I've provided a couple of links that should shed a little more light on the subject. [b]D820 GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10 WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19 LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41 [b]D821 GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8 LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20 M8974A-1.0.25.0.17 (KRT16M) works with both D820 and D821, you could try D820 KOT49E (4.4.1), M8974A-1.0.25.0.23. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514095 http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/Nexus_5/Modems https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions Edit: This is also OS dependent (Kit Kat 4.4 or 4.4.2)
rikkster wrote:

The D820/D821 KRT16M modems have matching md5 sums.This means D821 users can flash D820 modems. S...

Would this involve me rooting the phone? and wouldnt that void my warranty?
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

The D820/D821 KRT16M modems have matching md5 sums.This means D821 users can flash D820 modems. S...

You've already mentioned that the device had been rooted and unrooted, once it was rooted the warranty would be void. Did the seller give you the bill of sale?
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

Also I don't believe the warranty is transferable from the original purchaser I may be wrong since this is a nexus device but I don't think I am
rikkster wrote:

It was purchased from a third party retailer with extended warranty, I do have the receipt as well