Koodo Community
Solved

Nexus 5 LTE issues

Hi, so I recently ported my number over to Koodo from Rogers, and I am using a Nexus 5 (ordered direct from Google). I noticed that LTE signal strength is comparable to Rogers, but for some reason the battery drains much faster as opposed to when I was on Rogers. I have read the other Nexus 5 LTE thread, and made sure that my APN was correct (it matches with the APN settings provided by Koodo and the other thread). The other thread also suggested running speed tests using the Speed Test app. I can't get a reading as it mentions that there is a network error every time I try to run the app (even though I have 2-3 bars of LTE). I also noticed that certain apps don't function properly, as my Starbucks app can't seem to sync or update balances, but the moment I switch to wifi the app works without any issues. Any ideas?

3 replies

My bad, did some more reading, seems like I had to delete the first proxy and port under the APN in order to get Speedtest and the Starbucks app to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ng wrote:

My bad, did some more reading, seems like I had to delete the first proxy and port under the APN ...

As far as the LTE draining more battery it could be as it depends on how close you are to an LTE tower and also if your just within range of an LTE tower as it could be searching and switching constantly between LTE and 3g which takes up more battery. LTE takes up about 35% more battery in any case than using 3g from the tests I've done which is why I use 3g all the time on my Nexus 5 and other LTE capable devices. For the amount of difference in speed for opening Web pages it's not really worth using that much more battery, if your downloading large files or streaming a large file it can be beneficial but with with the cost of data it's not like most of us are downloading large files or streaming constantly over out data connection and most use wifi to do those things. With the battery life on the Nexus 5 not being so great it's best best to save as much power as you can unless you have a battery expansion case or carry around an external charger like myself.
Ng wrote:

My bad, did some more reading, seems like I had to delete the first proxy and port under the APN ...

I came from an sIII, so I'm used to charging a couple of times a day.