Koodo Community

Community

Nexus 5 glass defect.


Wanted to warn everyone in the Koodo world that the Nexus 5 has a major defect with the glass quality. Many folks are experiencing cracking screens without dropping. I have had this in the first three days of owning the phone. Battling Koodo to try to get a warranty, exchange or something but they have been very difficult to deal with. I would avoid this phone and be aware that Koodo will not be providing much support with phone problems.

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Several of our Mobile Masters have the Nexus 5 and haven't had this issue.
Userlevel 5
While I'm not denying the possibility of the break being a defect (it happened with the S 3 and S 4). Unless LG expands their warranty coverage to cover cracked screens early on (as I've heard Samsung as done) there isn't much Koodo can do except eat the cost of your repair, which while great for customer service, doesn't provide many benefits for Koodo. You may be better off contacting Google/LG directly and see what they say about repairing the glass. Good luck regardless!
Userlevel 2
Jorden wrote:

While I'm not denying the possibility of the break being a defect (it happened with the S 3 and S...

Has Samsung? where did you read that? 😮
Userlevel 5
Jorden wrote:

While I'm not denying the possibility of the break being a defect (it happened with the S 3 and S...

Heard it at a Telus store, dunno how wide spread it is or anything (don't own those phones) but they covered my friends S3 that had a single crack in the first 30 days. Claimed samsung extended the warranty for that for 30 days.
Userlevel 2
It hasn't been listed as an ongoing issue. Gorilla Glass is present on almost all smartphones screens. I could have been an impact on the phone. You sat on the phone or something?
Userlevel 6
The only thing one could find on google is when people actually drop the device. You are right the screen is weaker than other phones, but I supposed it still requires physical damage to crack it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAtdFyPzts
No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically on cracked glass in the Nexus 5: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/w-wUGwYrl-Y%5B101-125-false%5D
Userlevel 6
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

I did. The guy's phone cracked when he sat down. 🙂 LG made him pay for the repair. I guess they considered it physical damage and he didn't protest.
Userlevel 1
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

The act of sitting could break a phone, even if you don't sit on it. Basically, your butt pushes against the phone, while the outside of pocket essentially works to curve the phone around the butt, especially if they are rigid materials like jeans, and that compression could weaken and crack the screen. I don't put phones in pockets and wouldn't recommend it either. Your acting like this is an epidemic based on a few complaints (some of which admit it's their fault) is pretty shady. There is no verifiable evidence that this is some sort of defect with Nexus 5's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

I feel so lucky to be a girl and legally carry a purse 😃 Still, I'm sorry you broke your phone, Scott. It is an expensive device and I'm often surprised how carelessly people handle such a delicate piece of equipment. Would you believe there was once a lady in this forum who complained about a broken phone, because she habitually threw it vaguely in the direction of her night stand when she went to sleep and it fell on the floor once too often?
Userlevel 1
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

People often aren't even aware of their level of carelessness until somebody points it out to them. Phones are not wallets, and should not be treated as such.
Userlevel 6
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

omg Sophia I remember this one a bit too much! I literally grew hair in weird places upon reading her story, I was speechless... I don't even take my devices out of their boxes before screen protectors + cases arrive from eBay, and some people casually throw their devices in the general direction of a random bedroom piece of furniture hoping it will just "land and stay there"...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

I've always carried my phones in my side pocket and have yet to crack one (including my N5).
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

My Samsung GS2X either goes in a sweater pocket, front pants pocket, or the breast pocket in my jacket. I never put my phone anywhere that I could accidentally sit on it or break it. I have one of those Silicone/Plastic soft cases, and a screen protector and it's been in good shape for the year I've had it. Been dropped accidentally a couple times, and is a HELL of a lot more durable than my old iPod Touch 4thGen. But otherwise, I keep good care of my phone...Even got my wife to buy an Otterbox case for her S4...Best $40 you will ever spend.
Userlevel 3
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

I think my Nexus S has gotten some small cracks in the screen from carrying it in my pocket without a proper case. It's the only thing in that side pocket as I was concerned my keys would scratch the glass ... Think I could get it fixed under warranty ? : ) oh, the battery is wearing down, it really needs some trim support to speed up the file system, and it's old ... Is old covered by warranty? (Just to prevent random hair growth I am kidding, other than the small cracks)
Userlevel 1
Scott Thumlert wrote:

No impacts. The glass just cracked from one side to the other. Read this forum specifically o...

They put old stock Nexus S screens through screen stretcher and used in Nexus 5. Posted by me on my Moto G
My new Nikon camera is shock proof and waterproof to 15m. It costed about the same as this Nexus 5. There is absolutely no excuse for building a phone in this day and age that is "delicate". It must be able to be placed in and out of a pocket. If it cannot handle this type of normal use then a very clear disclaimer must be stated. If I dropped the phone and it cracked and wasn't functional I would be disappointed that it didn't survive the drop better, but I wouldn't be asking for an exchange. The fact that it did not suffer any impacts and is unusable is unacceptable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Scott Thumlert wrote:

My new Nikon camera is shock proof and waterproof to 15m. It costed about the same as this Nexus ...

Well stop complaining to Koodo about that, but go the the responsible party: Google, or LG, in this case.
Userlevel 1
Scott Thumlert wrote:

My new Nikon camera is shock proof and waterproof to 15m. It costed about the same as this Nexus ...

It's a tiny computer, as such, there is a level of sensitivity. For the most part, they handle day-to-day impacts pretty well, but every once in a while, these things happen. Unless the phone claims to be waterproof (like some Sony phones) or shock proof, you have to just accept that these things can happen as much as it sucks, and certainly it does suck, I'm sorry for you because I understand phones aren't cheap. It's still rare that these things happen, but the truth is that it does happen from time to time. There is a reason they sell cases for phones, including shock absorbing cases. In the future I suggest buying a good one if you are going to subject your phone to any sort of impacts or stress.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Scott Thumlert wrote:

My new Nikon camera is shock proof and waterproof to 15m. It costed about the same as this Nexus ...

Scott, there are a few phones on the market that will rival your waterproof Nikon. The N5 obviously isn't one, nor is it marketed as such. And if that Nikon cost you $350 without an HD screen, latest SoC, 16 GB of internal memory, a GSM radio, BT 4.0, etc, imagine how much the Nexus would cost if it was made to be shockproof and waterproof.
Userlevel 1
Scott Thumlert wrote:

My new Nikon camera is shock proof and waterproof to 15m. It costed about the same as this Nexus ...

Scott, there is no reason why I should get ice on my windshield, AFTER 125 years of manufacturing designs, there is no excuse for it.
Sophia, the company that I pay the money to in exchange for the good (phone in this case) is responsible for defects with that good. You don't go to the company that made the screw that broke in your Toyota for help, you go to Toyota when its under warranty. I will be posting negative reviews on all consumer reviews about Koodo and the Nexus 5 until I see some resolution to this. I honestly feel scammed by Koodo and Nexus / Google. It is very disheartening because so far I have really enjoyed my experience with Koodo and Google. I was really stoked on the Android system and my last phone was great (I even dropped that one and it cracked and I still used it for about a year). It is absolutely amazing to me that a company would treat a long term customer like this. I spend $500 on a phone, it breaks within 4 days without impact, and I'm told its my fault and its tough luck. Also, the negative impacts on my business of not having communications for a week now. The solution here is for Koodo to see the value in my long term business, warranty the phone, send me a new one ASAP and I am a happy customer paying regular bills for the next 40 to 50 years. The mentality shown by koodo so far is mind blowing.
Userlevel 1
Scott Thumlert wrote:

Sophia, the company that I pay the money to in exchange for the good (phone in this case) is resp...

Again, this isn't a defect with the phone. That's the pillar in your argument and, as such, that's where the whole argument breaks down.
Scott Thumlert wrote:

Sophia, the company that I pay the money to in exchange for the good (phone in this case) is resp...

It IS a defect. The glass is defective. IT BROKE WITHOUT SUSTAINING AN IMPACT. The phone broke in my POCKET. How is one suppose to use a cell phone if you can't put it in your pocket?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Scott Thumlert wrote:

Sophia, the company that I pay the money to in exchange for the good (phone in this case) is resp...

Your Toyota argument is invalid. Toyota BUILT the car using the hypothetical defective screw. Koodo does not build the nexus 5. It's all well and good to claim you'll be a happy, loyal customer for the next 50 years if Koodo does this one thing for you, but next time your phone breaks, wears out or is simply due for an upgrade, just like everyone else you'll be threatening to switch to the competition if Koodo doesn't offer you a better deal.

Reply