Koodo Community

Community

Solved

nexus 4 random shut down

So today my nexus 4 randomly shutdown when I went to turn it on. Battery was full as well. After holding the power button for 30 seconds it turned back on. Only to do the same 5 minutes later. Is my phone faulty? What can Koodo do for me? BTW I purchased the phone at Future shop. Thanks

34 replies

Userlevel 7
How long have you had this device?
Just over 2 weeks now.
Userlevel 7
Have you tried a factory reset.?
Chad Burr wrote:

No.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Punagai, are you having this problem?
No I have not. How would I go about doing that?
Userlevel 7
Before I tell you how, have you installed an app prior to this starting? If so, uninstalling that our those apps and seeing if that solves the problem might be the first step
Yes it was Netflix. When it first happened I had uninstalled app. But it shutdown 5 minutes later.
I've had a few similar quarks on my own Nexus 4. I went through and uninstalled all the apps I wasn't using, one of them must have been causing the trouble because I've gone 2 months now without a single crash. I use Netflix often, so it likely isn't the culprit. You could factory reset your device as Chad mentioned. This often works because it deletes all the data you put on the phone (apps, contacts, media, files...everything) thus returning it to a new state. However, then you'll have to re-set up your phone. Before a full factory reset, First, I'd uninstall any non-essential apps. If the phone continues to crash, then a factory reset (after you backup important contacts/files/media) should do.
Userlevel 7
Sorry it took this long to get back to you. I've read over Jeffs suggestions and have to say he said it all. Let us know what you decide And good luck Chad
It hasn't shut down for sometime now, I'll wait to reset if it happens again. Really puts a damper on the apps though.
I am having the same issues. After contacting google support I was asked to a factory reset. Went through it and am having the same issue (still reverts to 4.3) I will try with uninstall of Netflix. If anyone finds a solution please do share as this is the only phone I have and can't have it shutting down randomly.
The phone randomly shutting down is an indication that it's an issue with the phone. Depending on when you purchased the phone, you can either bring it back and get it exchanged or have it sent away for repair.
Is it covered in the one year warranty? Do I send to Koodoo
SP wrote:

As long as there's no physical or water damage, yes it would be covered. Visit your nearest Koodo shop to take it in and have it assessed.
SP wrote:

Is there a possibility to switch phones that used the same tab plan as the nexus? This seems like problem that everyone has.
SP wrote:

You can switch to any Koodo phone or unlocked phone as long as you have the appropriate sim card.
SP wrote:

Sorry, meant to say would they let me exchange with another phone free of charge from Koodo. Like the Galaxy 2.
Userlevel 7
SP wrote:

If you've had the nexus less than 14 days then yes otherwise no
SP wrote:

Probably not. If you are within your 14 days, you can bring the phone back, get a refund and purchase another phone. If you are within 30 days, you can exchange the phone for the same model brand new. After 30 days, the exchanges are done strictly through mail, however it would be for the same model.
Userlevel 7
SP wrote:

I think after thirty days it's warranty repair only with the option to replace solely at the discretion of LG
Hello everyone this is a new bug that was just revealed and is currently being worked on by Google and Netflix. If you have a Nexus 4 that has recently been upgraded to Android 4.3 and you have installed Netflix you are susceptible: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/07/fix-for-netflix-app-bug-on-android-4-3-being-developed/ http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1jdenw/psa_if_you_have_netflix_read_this_before_updating/ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2377304 For now, do not install Netflix on Android 4.3 until this is fixed. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the update.
Confirmed with Netflix reps as well Netflix jazmyn Okie doke, I am back we are aware of the issue that is going on & we are working around the clock to get it resolved for you! You Oh OK great You so how do I know its fixed as I have uninstalled the app Netflix jazmyn You can keep checking back in with us, We are available 24-7 dealing with all of your Netflix needs! You Hmm will the google playstore show a new version You current says july 22nd Netflix jazmyn Also you can keep up to date with all of Netflix from our Facebook website as well, I can also send you the link to that.
My Nexus 4 keeps on randomly shutting off on me too! I don't have Netflix on it either so I am not sure what is causing this and what I should do about it