Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Nexus 4 MMS messaging

My new Nexus 4 phone won't send picture messages. I have a plan that doesn't include data as I only use wireless. Do I absolutely need data in order to send a MMS message?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes.
Userlevel 7
Let's elaborate a bit more on Timo's answer. Yes, picture messages on all HSPA devices across... the world, really, require access to the data network for them to work. There's no way around it. Good news is: if your plan includes SMS/MMS as a feature, then you won't be charged for the data it uses. Bad news: smartphones can automatically update in the background if you're not careful. Try turning off your auto-sync features under Settings > Accounts. Things like email, facebook, Google account, etc. Then make sure apps or widgets like weather, news, etc. are not set to auto-sync. The second you turn data on your phone, your phone will tell those apps that there's an open data connection and update/sync, etc. The other option is to modify your APN settings to only allow picture messages to go through while data is on and nothing else. There's multiple guides that have been posted about this because you have a common concern among other customers. Here's a link to a topic about it: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/change_apn_to_disable_internet_while_enabling_mms_on_samsung_ace_2 It's for an Ace 2 but Timo says it works for a Nexus S too. I'm assuming the architecture for the Nexus 4 is very similar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Let's elaborate a bit more on Timo's answer. Yes, picture messages on all HSPA devices across....

The problem with this fix on LG phones is that they tend to switch back to the default apn on their own. By all means, try it, just keep an eye on which apn the phone is using. (Nexus S is Samsung, Nexus 4 is LG)
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Let's elaborate a bit more on Timo's answer. Yes, picture messages on all HSPA devices across....

True, but at least it's stock Android, not an LG skin.
Userlevel 5
Yes, you do need a data connection on and open but you won't be charged for it.