Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Nexus 4: buy from Google or do the TAB?

I was eyeing up the Nexus 4 for my daughter as her first cell phone, just biding my time hoping for a double minutes sale or something for back to school before I do anything. LOL Anyways with the lowered price from google I was debating outright buying the phone and then hooking up with koodo, my question is, I know you get the 10% off your bill when you bring a phone but do you get any tab contributions? Kids are notoriously hard on their phones so it would be nice to have her building some kind of credit/TAB towards her next phone as well. Just trying to weigh out the pros and cons between outright buying and the various tabs.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
If you get the BYOD discount, you would not get tab contributions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

If you get the BYOD discount, you would not get tab contributions.

Just to clarify, both options are available but it's an either/or kind of thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It depends a little on your current budget really... I'd say if you can afford to buy the phone from Google outright, do so - you can't beat that price! I know some even purchased two, one as a back up 😃 At least you can start building a positive Tab right away... but as Tyler and Timo said it's entirely your choice 🙂
Sorry what do you mean by positive Tab? I thought positive Tab meant I had a credit I could apply towards my next phone, which is what I was wanting. If I don't get any Tab contributions I would lose that option by bringing my own device wouldn't I?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
birdie wrote:

Sorry what do you mean by positive Tab? I thought positive Tab meant I had a credit I could apply...

You start by not owing any tab credits when you sign up, so you start at 0. If you place all or part of the price of the phone from Koodo on the tab then you go into the negative and you start paying off the tab amount owing each month by Koodo contributing 15% and depending what tab you choose possibly you paying $5 each month if you choose the tab medium or $10 each month if you choose a large tab. You don't have a monthly tab charge if you choose tab small and only Koodo contributes the 15%. However if you were to bring your own phone to Koodo and didn't put any if the price of a phone on the tab then your tab would begin to go into the positive side each month with Koodo contributing 15% of your bill each month (in this case you wouldn't get 10% discount for bringing your own device). The other option of bringing your own device is that you could get the 10% discount but if you choose this option you don't aquire tab credits as your tab becomes frozen at the point it is when you choose the 10% byod discount.
Userlevel 1
I would advise you to wait a little and see if Koodo does anything to compete with Google's move. I don't think they have to, but they might at the very least offer a.gift card, maybe even a price slash. Give it a couple of weeks if you can.