Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Nexus 4 16GB vs Samsung Galaxy S II X

I'm in the market for a new phone (desperately need it) and I'm on the fence between the Nexus 4 16GB and the Samsung Galaxy S II x. They're both the same price, and with the medium tab, they're both 0$. Which one should I go for? I'm just looking for a reliable phone that has your standard smart phone (email, use of games/apps, and doesn't FREEZE like mine does 🙂 ).

16 replies

Userlevel 7
They're both great phones for the price and will do what you're looking for - since they're both Android, their core functionality is identical (email, games/apps) but the extra software features and hardware specs make a difference in day-to-day use. With that being said: Go with the Nexus 4. It's Android 4.2.2 vs 4.1.? on the S II X. Nexus phones get updates faster and nearly guaranteed. Other devices not only have to get the update tested/approved by the manufacturer to use their modifications to Android (HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, etc.) but they also have to be pushed out by the carrier the phone was originally with, so a lot of times, good hardware gets left in the dust for official updates. It has a quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro processor... if you don't know what that means, just know that it is very fast. You will not see any lag/slowdown in this phone, especially if you're playing higher-end games. It is very quick and responsive. It also has 2GB of RAM versus 1GB on the S II X, and while 1GB is pretty good for having multiple apps running, 2GB gives you a nice buffer. It will be able to handle more stuff you throw at it, basically. Camera resolution is identical at 8MP but I think the sensor is a bit better on the Nexus 4 (could also be the display itself). It also has a faster shutter speed and the photosphere effect, so it has an edge there. Nexus 4 also has an ever so slightly larger screen with a higher resolution and PPI for excellent clarity and sharpness. Merits are given to the Super AMOLED Plus display on the S II X because I think the colors are a little richer, but overall the Nexus 4's display is better. Plus, there's this: The Nexus 4 comes factory unlocked out of the box. None of the Apple nonsense either, where the phone will become locked to a carrier SIM once you put it in. It is unlocked, period. If you ever travel outside of Canada or switch providers, you're good to go. It is the only phone on the market (besides previous Nexus models) to be like this. The S II X isn't a bad phone by any means... shortly after its release, it sold like hotcakes on Koodo during Christmas time. I was out of stock for several days during December and people were getting upset. It's just that at the same price ($300), the Nexus 4's hardware (and some of the software) is superior. However, the S II X has some tricks up its sleeve: Some people will prefer the UI and extra functionality that Touchwiz provides on the S II X, such as being able to change the system font (pretty fun to play with) or displaying an actual battery percentage in the status bar rather than just an image. Plus... both phones have 16GB by default but the S II X supports a microSD card up to 32GB, which the Nexus 4 does not. If this isn't a deal breaker for you, go with the Nexus 4.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

They're both great phones for the price and will do what you're looking for - since they're both ...

Ya beat me 😉 Great points I missed man like the factory unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I got the Nexus 4 a couple days ago and for the money it's a great phone. It's almost as fast as my Galaxy S4 and Note 2. The display is decent & it has all the basics covered very well & it's easy to use and straight forward. The only downfall at all is the battery but it's really dependent on what games your playing and for how long you game when you do. At the same time the Galaxy S2x is around the same for battery & you won't get better battery life out of a device unless you go with a Galaxy S4 m, Moto Maxx or Note 2 all other batteries are fairly the same at the price range your at. A huge bonus to the Nexus 4 is updates which you'll get sooner than any phone on the market right now & it should be updated for awhile still where the Galaxy S2x is pretty much at the end of being updated. Whatever phone you get make sure to grab a good quality case especially the Nexus 4 with its glass front and back. The Nexus 4 bumper case or any dual piece case like the Otterbox or ballistic style is always the best choice dependent on your lifestyle.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I got the Nexus 4 a couple days ago and for the money it's a great phone. It's almost as fast as ...

Good call - I have a cheap case on my LG phone right now and it's held up okay, but that being said I've dropped it a couple times and it was relatively inexpensive... my buddy had an otterbox for her BB and she dropped it a couple times and it seemed to hold up well. I'll look into one of those. Thanks. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I got the Nexus 4 a couple days ago and for the money it's a great phone. It's almost as fast as ...

It doesn't necessarily have to be an Otterbox although I swear by them & the lifetime warranty they hold, just any 2 piece case with a rubber layer and plastic shell are always the best. I like the Otterbox Defender series as it has the rubber layer on the outside of the case & it just feels more comfortable to me. They are alot more money than other 2 piece cases though, usually $60 where others sell for around $30 or some even less. Another 2 piece I like is INCIPIO DUAL PRO series cases they offer a little less protection but they sell for $30 usually. It's really dependent on like I said how ruff your lifestyle is (do you work in an office or do you do construction type thing) & how much piece of mind you want with your phone being damaged.
Userlevel 7
The only issue I've had with the nexus 4 is calm quality over BlueTooth. It was awful. The other parties i spoke to said I sounded muffled and the same with whomever was speaking to me. I use a Plantronics Voyager Pro+ which has worked fine with my Optimus one, S2x and BlackBerry Z10. I've been told the BlueTooth issue may be corrected in future updates but not by anyone official. That being said, over the two the Nexus 4 for sure. Just blows the Samsung out of the water spec wise. You won't be disappointed.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

The only issue I've had with the nexus 4 is calm quality over BlueTooth. It was awful. The other ...

Once I get my bluetooth back from Uxbridge (I got moved to the Aurora Mobile Shop) I'll give this a test because that's kind of an issue. I like having a blue tooth, they're handy.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

The only issue I've had with the nexus 4 is calm quality over BlueTooth. It was awful. The other ...

I wonder if it's an issue of my nexus in particular!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Chad, do you know if it happens on blue tooth listening to music from your Nexus 4?
Userlevel 1
Nexus4 for sure. SX2 too old.
The Nexus 4 is a much better phone than the Samsung Galaxy S2X. Comparing the specs (Nexus 4 on the left, Galaxy S2X on right): Processor: Quad core 1.5GHz/Dual core 1.5GHz RAM: 2GB/1GB Pixel Density (screen resolution): 318 pixels per inch/206PPI GPU: Adreno 320/Adreno 220 Android version: 4.2/4.0 It's also somewhat important to remember that the Nexus 4 is nearly a year old now, while as the Samsung Galaxy S2 is over 2 years old. The ONLY benefits to the S2X over the Nexus 4 are: 1) removable battery, and 2) micro SD card slot. Both o these can be useful, but most people won't use either of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeff Bastien wrote:

The Nexus 4 is a much better phone than the Samsung Galaxy S2X. Comparing the specs (Nexus 4 on t...

S2X runs Jelly Bean 4.1 now not 4.0 ICS
Jeff Bastien wrote:

The Nexus 4 is a much better phone than the Samsung Galaxy S2X. Comparing the specs (Nexus 4 on t...

My bad, my dad just hasn't updated his then!
I went for it and got the nexus 4. I loooove it!
Taylor Richardson wrote:

Nice! After seeing me use my Nexus 4 since February, my dad decided to upgrade yesterday from his S2X. It's really a great phone!
Userlevel 6
Taylor Richardson wrote:

Enjoy this great phone, Taylor 🙂