Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New SIM not working in new phone, old SIM does?

I got a new phone and a new SIM, but the new SIM does not work in the new phone. The guy at the booth scratched his head trying to figure out why, trying the SIM with multiple other phones with it working fine.

Old SIM works in new phone, just not the new SIM.

New and old SIM work in the old phone. Am I supposed to be able to use the old SIM...? Shouldn't it have deactivated or something?

New phone: LG G3
Old phone: Galaxy Note 2

Kinda stumped on what to do, but he said I should bring the phone in tomorrow if it still didn't work over time. I'd rather figure it out myself though and avoid the trouble.

When trying to connect to Koodo in network settings it says the SIM is not set up to connect to Koodo, and it says Emergency Calls Only on the lock screen.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
He's probably at least half right, but save yourself a trip. Pull the battery & SIM out overnight to give the Note 2 a good res(e)t. It took at least 3-4 power cycles for my unlocked Note 2 to clear it's head of a US carrier and go back to Koodo normalcy last spring.

If the old shoe fits, wear it... as long as your old SIM is the same physical format it should work in any Koodo or unlocked phone.

Unless someone goes online and changes the SIM registration, you're good to go as is. Possibly the CSR or the system made a boo-boo along the way. In that case, your old SIM may expire but the new one should then work.

If not, then it's time to get concerned.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

He's probably at least half right, but save yourself a trip. Pull the battery & SIM out overn...

Is the old SIM being taken off of the network required for the new SIM to work? New SIM doesn't work in both phones now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Was there a particular reason you needed a new sim? If both phones take the same size you can just transfer the old card to the new phone.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Was there a particular reason you needed a new sim? If both phones take the same size you can jus...

Old SIM seemed a bit screwy, would drop connection to the network every once and a while.
Userlevel 5
Hey Cole! Is your new SIM working with your LG G3 now? Keep us posted!
Anna wrote:

It doesn't work still. Doesn't work on either phone now, don't know what to do besides go to Koodo again tomorrow. Sold my old phone already so I can't do any troubleshooting anymore.

Normally I'd just use the old SIM but as a I set above it's been spotty, I'm at like half or lower reception all of the time, even when outside.
Userlevel 6
Anna wrote:

Hi Cole, thank you for getting back to us!  It would be best to visit us at one of our kiosks in order to troubleshoot further.  Thank you for your understanding 🙂