Koodo Community

Community

New Sim Card/Phone Not working

I've had a Nexus with koodo prepaid for years and recently bought an s7 to replace it. I got the new phone and new sim card and entered the sim card number into koodo self serve. The number has updated in self serve but the new phone has no calling/text (ie emergency calls only). It's been more than 24hrs and I've restarted several times plus full charge. Any thoughts on how to get this working? I'm almost at the point where I want to return the phone and keep using the old nexus!

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Aria Did you buy the S7 from Koodo? I or if not is it unlocked? Go into your settings - about phone - status and check if its showing your phone number
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Hi Aria Did you buy the S7 from Koodo? I or if not is it unlocked? Go into your settings - about...

I bought the phone and the sim card from the koodo kiosk yesterday. the staff inserted the card for me. all i had to do was go home and add the number to self serve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Aria Did you buy the S7 from Koodo? I or if not is it unlocked? Go into your settings - about...

Are you sure you put the card in the SIM slot and not the SD card slot? Double check that and the pare I added above to my original answer to see if your number is showing

The phone number is "not available". My old phone still seems to be working so I assume it's still holding the number?

The 'sim card status' of the s7 is network - unknown

thanks for your help on this
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No problem man, ok is your SIM Card that was in your Nexus the same size as the one in the S7 because that would be the easiest thing is to just swap the card from the old phone to the new. Is that an option or different size SIM Card If your old SIM is working then your new one didn't activate as well.

Edit: the tech inserted the card. I just double checked and it looks like the right spot. Smaller slot, farthest into the phone with the chip side facing towards the back/camera side of the phone

they're different sizes. the nexus has a micro and the s7 a nano
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If your old SIM is working then the new one isn't activated on the account or the old one wouldn't be working. Try turning off the old phone and see if that does anything, if not log into your self serve and try activating the SIM Card again

Turning it off doesn't seem to have done anything. I re-entered the sim number into self serve and it says "sim card change successful" but it said that last time too with no actual change.
the service is definitely still with the old nexus. it's taking calls and everything.

i did, at one point last night, trying putting the old next sim card number back into self serve and it said, 'cannot be complete - that card is already in use' so ???
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Im at a loss, I think you may have to send Koodo a private message to their FB page or Twitter account where they can verify your account and further assist you on this and see why the new card isn't activating and switching the account from the old phone to the new one. You were with koodo with the Nexus correct?

Okay, thanks for trying!

Yeah, both are with koodo. I basically just wanted to transfer everything from one phone to the next. Didn't expect it to be so difficult!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It shouldn't be so difficult it should have worked just activating the card and putting it in the phone I've done it 50 times before so it's gotta be some oddity you've run into.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It shouldn't be so difficult, just changing the SIM card number on self-serve but it seems that there's a problem because your old phone is still working while your new doesn't. Maybe your note entering the good SIM card number?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It shouldn't be so difficult, just changing the SIM card number on self-serve but it seems that there's a problem because your old phone is still working while your new doesn't. Maybe your note entering the good SIM card number?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If SS said - that card is already in use - when you tried to enter Nexus number, then SIM in Xexus is still active. Are you a postpaid customer or prepaid?

prepaid. have been for years. 

it's possible but i've tried the number a couple different times and nothing's happened. it seems unlikely that it's wrong every time? Also, even if I had the wrong number then shouldn't the old nexus stop working? that sim hasn't been linked to the acount for 28 hours now and it's still working fine? Far as I can tell, has to be on koodo's end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Once yiu see the message saying "sim card change successful". then old SIM should be deactivated/nit working. But yoy said it was still working on Nexus.. Thats puzzlibg me. And Im sure you logged into Prepaid SS and correct number. ( can you double check New SIM number?) If it didnt work, then I go with Paul's suggestion. -contact Koodo

i've seen sim card change successful several times and the old nexus has continued working despite it's number not being in the account. I'm puzzled as well! I double checked again (pulled the sim out and re-entered) and still nothing. Again, even if it was the wrong number, the Nexus and the s7 would both be not working then no?

I've tried to dm koodo on twitter an hour ago and no response...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think Koodo only responds to messages during working hours so you'll probably have to wait till tomorrow Unfourtunatley. Yeah they would both not work, there has to be an issue on their end. Try turning off the Nexus and leaving it off for awhile and try to new phone then Edit * the only other option and I don't recommend it but you could cut the old SIM card down to size using the Nano SIM as a template, if you try this make sure you file the sharp edges
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It can take a few hours to get a response online.