Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New cell can't read sim card

19 replies

What sort of phone is it and is it from Koodo?
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5. I bought it second hand from a friend. I don't know if he was a Koodo client though. Sim card is the same but I wonder maybe it is locked by network provider?
It says Unregistered Sim in the new cell but it works in my old one
I think it may be from a different provider maybe ask him,
the phone might need to be unlocked

Can Koodo unlock it for me? I got everything else to work on it.
Badge +4
Tyna Myre wrote:

Yes, Koodo can unlock your S5 for you, I think the charge is $35. Or you can go online and look for a third party unlocking service. In most cases, it's cheaper to go that route.

http://www.cellunlocker.net/samsung-u...
Userlevel 7
Tyna Myre wrote:

Are you using your sim card or the one that was already in the phone?
Tyna Myre wrote:

My S3 is working good, it's the S5 that is not. I transferred my sim card from my S3 to my S5. It works in my S3 but not in my S5. I will go have it checked tomorrow. Thanks
Tyna Myre wrote:

My sim card
Userlevel 7
Tyna Myre wrote:

Check the website I listed below.
Userlevel 7
o try is powering down your device and removing the sim card and, if possible, the battery Wait a minute and then reinstall the sim and battery. Restart your device. Didn't work? Check and be sure you're not in Airplane or Flight Mode. Still not working? Navigate to your settings and mobile network settings. Be sure that: Network Selection is set to Automatic USE 2G Only or USE GSM ONLY isn't selected Network type typically should be "GSM\WCDMA PREFERRED" Still not working? Change NETWORK SELECTION to Manual The device will perform a scan which could take up to 2 minutes. You'll be presented with a list of available networks. Choose Koodo or Telus from this list.Note: Doing this disables international roaming. Should you ever want to roam in the future you'll need to change this setting back to automatic Goto this website http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/ Find your imei and enter it on the website. . Are sure your device hasn't been listed as lost or stolen. If your device still isn't working, check and be sure your bill is paid up and then give Tech support a call. It's free
I just checked with the imei number and it says this device is on the blacklist and reported lost or stolen. What do I do now??
Userlevel 7
Tyna Myre wrote:

I just checked with the imei number and it says this device is on the blacklist and reported lost...

If you have the phone number of the person who sold it to you, call them and ask them what's up. call the police(non emergency) and explain that someone sold you a stolen phone. They may be able to help you catch that person and possibly get your money back.

As far as the phone, it's a paperweight

In the future always test the phone out using your sim, a legit seller won't mind if you do this.

Do the transaction at the police station lobby

If you're buying from Kijiji, go for a device that's been listed for a few weeks rather than a recent device.
Tyna Myre wrote:

I just checked with the imei number and it says this device is on the blacklist and reported lost...

Thanks, I am taking this cell back and reporting the guy. I want nothing to do with this. 😞
Userlevel 7
Tyna Myre wrote:

Ask your friend if they reported it lost. If they did they can report it found and it will work agaib
Tyna Myre wrote:

I just spoke to him and he said he found it in a mall parking lot.
Userlevel 7
Tyna Myre wrote:

Is he willing to give your money back? He should have just turned it in to a koodo kiosk.
Tyna Myre wrote:

So he tried to sell me this cell that he found. Not cool. I am not impressed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tyna Myre wrote:

A friend?!?!?  I'd be hard pressed not to involve the police. It wasn't his to sell, and he represented it as something it was not.