Koodo Community
Solved

network support for older phones

I'm looking to replace my Samsung S5 Neo as the some aspects of the phone will no longer be supported on the Koodo network.

A Samsung Xcover 4.5" (don't have model # atm) has caught my eye and I'm wondering if it will run in to the same issues as my S5 Neo?

icon

Best answer by Allan M 13 May 2021, 01:39

If the model number at the top of the page "SM-G390WZKAXAC" is accurate then it will work just fine with Koodo based on the specs from Samsung.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/business/smartphones/galaxy-xcover-4-g390/sm-g390wzkaxac/

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How old is it? Sounds ancient if it's 4.5” screen. I'd get a newer model otherwise you'll run into similar issues and older Samsung's dont age well.

I'm not entirely sure Goran. It's for sale on Best Buy's website, see below (I hope the screenshot is readable!)

The reason I'm considering this phone is because of it's smaller size. I'm really not a fan of how big phones are right now; don't fit nicely in pockets and are hard to hold one handed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s entirely up to you, but that phone is ancient by now and also has gigantic bezels. For example, the entire size is

146 x 73 mm and you only get a 5” screen for that.

Compare that with Google Pixel 4a:

144 x 70 mm and that one gives a whopping 5.8” screen size despite the SMALLER package!

Of course the Pixel is twice as expensive but in my opinion you’d be ten times better off with a phone like that (or similar!).

Entirely up to you as I said, just giving my opinion here :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the model number at the top of the page "SM-G390WZKAXAC" is accurate then it will work just fine with Koodo based on the specs from Samsung.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/business/smartphones/galaxy-xcover-4-g390/sm-g390wzkaxac/

Great, thanks for all the info guys; I really appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's positively ancient by android standards. I keep forgetting that bestbuy online keeps selling years old phones. It only has android 7.0 when we're on 11 out now.  If you can use a tab, I'd pick the pixel 4A,or a lg velvet 5G, and check out the pre-owned options in Koodo's site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I agree with Sophia and Goran. The Pixel 4a is good.

It’s small and fit n back pocket nicely.  And battery life is good too for basic use.

Badge +4

The Galaxy XCover 4 was replaced by the Galaxy XCover Pro (SM-G715W) running Android 10 which Koodo sold for a short time last year. TELUS offers the phone for $785 retail. I almost decided on one for the ruggedness of that phone. I  agree that the Google Pixel 4a, the LG Velvet 5G or certified pre-owned are options worth looking into.

Samsung XCover Pro