Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Network connection cuts off randomly - can't talk, nor text

Have been with Koodo for 1.5-years.  Using LG G3 bought from bestbuy (it is a Koodo phone).
All was working fine until a number of weeks ago.

Suddenly and randomly,  network connection cuts off, so I can't talk, nor text.  Nothing coming in, nothing can go out.   I was able to access internet.

The display (at top of screen) normally shows 2, 3, 4 "bars" for cellular reception.  But now it showed none (all 5 bars were 'blank') and there was an "X" on top of it.   It must mean that reception is off.   But I did not touch anything, so it just went off.  I have lock-screen enabled with a code, so it can't be modified by mistake.   I am in the city, where the is always reception, so it is not an issue of being in a remote location.

This problem has happened a few times over the past little while (1 month or more).

The big issue is that I do not know if my phone reception went off 15-min ago, 2-hours ago or 4hrs ago.  And during that time, I can't be reached via voice/text.

I tried playing with settings, to no avail.  Only way to "fix" is to restart phone.  This is not normal.

Any ideas?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So if you restart your phone everything is fixed? This most likely means it is time for an upgrade or a repair to your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I had the same issues with my G3. Only thing that fixed it was a factory reset of the device. If you don't know how, check YouTube for a tutorial. Edit. Here's a link
OK.   A bit drastic.  Phone is just over a year old, between 1 and 1.5yrs old.

@Chadwick: How old was your phone when you had these problems?   What did you try before doing a factory reset?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

@Chadwi...

I had my phone for less than 8 months at the time I had to do the reset due to network issues. You could also try checking for a software update or consider any poor signal issues around you that could be the cause. If you decide to reset just do a back up of the device(contacts, pictures stuff like that) sometimes it's nice to reset as the phone has a chance to run like normal for a little without all the heavy apps we use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

@Chadwi...

Forgot about a factory reset, this is deffinitely worth a try but a repair or replacement isnt drastic esepcially with phones these days. A friend of mine has his LG G3 for exactly a year and a half and it completely died. The screen would turn off every 30 seconds and it was ruled down to a motherboard problem that multiple people have experienced with the phone and would cost more to fix then it was worth.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

@Chadwi...

It is drastic without exhausting every other avenue first. Especially with the price of phones these days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

@Chadwi...

Also the possibility of a gibbled SIM card. Can you try another SIM in your phone? Either borrow one from a friend, or stop by your friendly Koodo Kiosk and they have a test SIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

@Chadwi...

I would try powering down, removing the SIM card and powering back up (it should flush whatever SIM data was there and will give you an error).

Power down, re-insert the SIM card, restart. Go to [b]settings > [b]network > [b]more > [b]network operators and manually force Koodo to start.

Will cost you a few minutes' time and reset your comm link without having to do the factory reset.

Since you're out of warranty, check out on Youtube

[i]lg g3 motherboard problem

for some [i]hotter solutions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

@Chadwi...

Lol my brother did the oven solution. Worked for a little while.
Thanks for the various tips.  To respond:

-I take very good care of my phones.  Changing a phone just after 1+ yr isn't normal.  Its like changing a new car after 3yr because it doesn't start... And even a "cheap" smartphone is ~$400.  Any just released phone is $800-1000.   If you believe dishing-out $500-1000 each year for a phone isn't drastic, well...

-I may have access to another SIM card.   But the issue is that my problem occurs suddenly and randomly, it can work fine for a week..  So I can load new SIM - but SIM testing may take a long time (and I'll be using someone else's tel#).

-I guess testing by powering down, removing the SIM card and flushing SIM data is worth a try... I will see if this "cures" my phone.

My previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy S3, is still being used by someone else at home.  It must be nearly 5-years old.  So if there is problem with my LG G3 after such a short time.... I will let everyone draw their own conclusion...

I'll report back after use BobTheElectrician's test.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

-I take very good care of my phones.  Chan...

The scuttlebut regarding the G3 is that some of the soldering on the motherboard left a bit to be desired leading to intermittent contacts some time down the road. Heating the contacts seems to have solved the probem for some, but that's a little drastic and unorthodox.

There's also been more than a few complaints about flaky SIMs recently, thus my suggestion. You can also gently clean the contacts before re-insterting. I would also consider replacing the SIM first before consigning the handset to the oven or a repair shop.
Userlevel 6
A wrote:

@A: on promo, you can get $200 phones nearly for free on new activations. Mid-range phones will cost you half price. Higher end phones will still get you a 50% discount on promo with Koodo's activation credits on new activations or upgrades (at least a month after release).
Nothing wrong with riding out an older handset, especially for the tech-savvy who install ROM's on 'em. You can still get good juice out of an older device.
On the flip side, we live in a society geared towards disposable goods. It's often cheaper to replace than to repair phones, bicycles, sometimes even cars, clothing, shoes, etc. It's no surprise that when a phone dies, it's probably best to trade it in at Wow mobile on a Koodo upgrade. Otherwise you could sell it for parts (probably get less than the trade-in at Wow mobile), use it as a coffee mug coaster, etc. This is why manufacturers give a one year warranty. If your phone outlives a year, then you're doing something right!
If a factory reset doesn't fix the problem, since you're past your one year warranty, you can look into flashing the original firmware (slightly more aggressive than a factory reset), or even installing a custom ROM (will likely give better performance on an older device).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A wrote:

There's a limit to the amount of effort and expense to be put into a handset that sells for $150 used and is 4 generations behind cutting edge. Manufacturers rely on this.

FWIW, I usually buy a 2-3 year old refurb unit for about a quarter to a third of the original new retail price. For those of us who don't need the latest gimmicks, you get a unit that been tested and fixed using an Android version that is pretty well up-to-date for around $200. Of course, your tastes and needs will vary.