Koodo Community

Community

Solved

My phone stopped receiving long text messages.

I have had a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Koodo since December and never had any trouble with it until a couple days ago. Now it no longer receives SMS (texts) that are longer than 160 characters. I have tried sending myself long texts from several other phones, and the only one that worked was also with Koodo. These are the things I have tried: -Rebooting the phone -Removing the battery and SIM card -Deleting old messages and uninstalling unused apps. -Scanning for viruses I am dead in the water without the ability to receive long texts, and nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Long texts are typically converted to mms message, if they aren't broken up into multiple short messages. Is your data turned on?
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Long texts are typically converted to mms message, if they aren't broken up into multiple short m...

Only after they go over approximately 800 characters (not sure what the actual number is, but it's irrelevant). My data is not on because I don't have a data plan, but it never has been on, and this problem only just arose the other day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Long texts are typically converted to mms message, if they aren't broken up into multiple short m...

Any text message longervthan 160 7-bit characters must either be converted to mms or sent as multiple concatenated messages of 156 characters or less. The sms system cannot handle anything longer. Do you receive anything when someone sends you a 'long message'?
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

If that is the case, then I suppose my phone automatically reconstructs them when they are received, because they are always presented as a single block of text. In any case, I am not receiving anything when people send long messages.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Your data must be on to receive MMS. That's just how it works. If your data isn't on, then you aren't going to receive them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Marcus, although I do think that for some reason the messages are now being sent as mms, there should at least be some notification that a message has arrived, even with data off. Unfortunately, any further information will likely require a call to tech support. We simply don't have the required visibility into the back end.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

This is true; however, my phone does not receive "long" texts as MMS unless they are over a certain length (and even then, I usually get a notification). These are SMS texts, and they are just vanishing into thin air. Like I said, It has been working properly for the past 6 months Oh, and just to be sure, I turned on my data and did a test... still didn't receive anything.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

As previously mentioned, anything over 160 characters is considered "long" text messages, or MMS. It can also take up to 20 minutes for text msgs and mms to be received.
(My apologies for not replying directly to the other comment; for some reason it wasn't allowing me to do so) That is not how my phone has always done it... Usually they are sent as multiple SMS packets that are then reconstructed on my end, up until a certain size (somewhere around 800 characters) when they become MMS. And as Timo mentioned earlier, I usually get a notification when I receive an MMS, even with data off. I will try calling tech support when they open in the morning. Thanks anyways for your help!