Koodo Community

Community

Question

My mom is leaving the country this week.

My mom is leaving the country this week to South Korea. She wants to know if she can use the phone there by replacing the SIM card with the one she got from Korea. I am unsure about this but I heard that she needs to set off the "block" that Koodo did if she uses it outside of Canada. Is there anything that she needs to do before using the phone in Korea or can she simply replace the SIM card?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If she purchased the phone from Koodo, then she'll need to have it unlocked. It's a $50 fee if you get it done by Koodo (request can be made via Self Serve). For Android phones, it's often cheaper to go with 3rd party unlockers.
Ivan wrote:

If she purchased the phone from Koodo, then she'll need to have it unlocked. It's a $50 fee if yo...

Thank you for the reply! Where can I make the request on Self Serve?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

If she purchased the phone from Koodo, then she'll need to have it unlocked. It's a $50 fee if yo...

I apologize, I thought that the feature was brought back to Self Serve, but I cannot find it. If you'd like Koodo to do the unlock, please contact them via Facebook or Twitter private message by following the links I the bottom right of the page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
She will need the phone unlocked so another SIM card will work in it. Koodo charges $50 for unlocking phones, but many folks have had good success by searching eBay for third party unlocking services with a good reputation, and a much lower cost.