Koodo Community

Community

Solved

My Galaxy s6 data connection became very unstable after 5.1.1 update

Last week, when I updated by Galaxy s6 from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1 I have been experiencing unstable data connection.

Before the update, my LTE/LTE+ has been very stable and would allow me to browse whenever I wanted to...

but after the update, the phone would show full bar with LTE or sometimes LTE+, but the the data would freeze or drop every few seconds preventing me from browsing like I used to. It appears to me that the mobile data "freeze" happens specially when it toggles between LTE+/LTE. Restarting the mobile connection fixes the problem, but only temporarily, and it is a huge hassle if you are trying to have a normal VoIP conversation (Viber/Messenger etc.), for example, while driving. I did a factory reset, too. Tried to cap the network mode at "WCDMA only" which restricts the speed to 4G. This seems to help (but not resolve the issue!), because at least the phone doesn't try to toggle between WCDMA and LTE (which is the main cause of the problem in my opinion)...

I am certain this is software related, as before the update it was completely fine. Anyone know how to fix this? It is really bothering me....

10 replies

Badge +4
Firstly, switching to 'WCDMA only' allows you to connect to a 3G network, LTE is marketed as 4G. I would suggest a hardware reset. Turn off the device. Once the phone is off, hold the volume up, home, and power buttons down simultaneously. Continue to hold this combination while the phone boots, until the screen shows the Android robot.

After a few moments, you will have access to the Android system recovery menu. Using the volume up/down buttons to navigate, and the power button to make selections, find and select 'wipe cache partition', (it should only take a few seconds to wipe the cache), then select 'wipe data/factory reset'.

Scroll down to Yes, delete all user data, and press the power button once again. You will notice script scrolling along the bottom of the screen, which will end in Data Wipe Complete. Once the operation is complete, press the power button once more to 'reboot system now'.

I've included a link to a video that will show how to perform a hardware reset on the S6. The video starts at 01:18 for the hardware reset portion. Note that it does not include wiping the cache partition. Let us know if this resolves the problem.
Hi Rikkster, 

Thank you for the detailed reply. However as I have mentioned originally, I did perform the factory reset - wipe cahe, wipe data/factory reset and the issue is persistent.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue with the s6?
Badge +4
Peter wrote:

Hi Rikkster, 

Thank you for the detailed reply. However as I have mentioned originally, I d...

You're welcome Peter. I don't own an S6, perhaps others in the community that do will chime in on this abnormality. I did see that you had performed a factory reset, though it wasn't clear as to whether it was a software or a hardware reset. Thank you for the clarification.
I have an S6 as well and experiencing the exact same issue after updating to 5.1.1. Network connectivity becomes unstable. I attempt to call my phone and goes directly to voice mail, data connection cuts out in the middle while using the device.  I've completed a factory reset, called into Koodo technical support and had the service book reset and issue is still there.

Anyone know the issue?
Hey Rozah,

Basically I talked to the engineer at koodo and they said this is a known problem with 5.1.1. Sucks for us that we updated. All we can do at this point is wait for the next update from Samsung. He told me that more people start complaining about the issue, more likely Samsung will give higher attention to it and fix it on their next patch. So ask the technican to transfer you to the engineer and let them know. 

No solution :( 
Hey there, i'm experiencing same problem and on addition my battery runs out faster than before. Did anyone experience same thing?
Yes, exactly the same thing here. On Vodafone Portugal, S6 is on Marshmallow. It's useless, I have to toggle airplane mode 5 times a day. When the data connection freezes, I can't receive calls either. It's a software/hardware issue with the phone, as far as I can tell.
Anyone got any solution? This issue is getting annoying.
The new Android OS's always have some sort of a glitch, like iOS. Since Samsung isn't accossiated with Google (like nexus or Motorola), it can't get the latest updates to fix those bugs or errors. Degrading is always an option but I don't know if that's possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Aaron Kim wrote:

The new Android OS's always have some sort of a glitch, like iOS. Since Samsung isn't accossiated...

Motorola is owned by Lenovo now.