Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moving to the U.K. for 6 months. Do I still pay Koodo bill even though I'll be using a U.K. SIM Card?

I have a Nexus 5 and I know it comes unlocked which means I can put any SIM Card from another provider in it and still use it. I am moving to the U.K. in a few weeks and I have a U.K. pay as you go SIM card. My question is that while I am using my Nexus 5 on the U.K. SIM card, will I still have to pay a monthly bill to Koodo, even though I am not using Koodo at all? If so, how do I get out of paying a monthly Koodo bill? Is there a way I can just pay off the Tab only monthly? Sorry for such a confusing question....

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi there...

If you do not want to be billed by Koodo for the time you will be out of Canada, you have 2 options:

- You can choose a Seasonal Hold plan so you can keep your number, once you come back your account could be reactivated (there is a monthly fee that applies for this plan)

- You can cancel the services before leaving, then your final bill will include your TAB balance and any overages if any...

Good luck! 

Userlevel 7
Camilo_A wrote:

Hi there...

If you do not want to be billed by Koodo for the time you will be out of Canada, you...

A note about the seasonal hold: It's 15$ a month and you will lose your existing plan. Meaning if you are on a promotional plan or one that is no longer offered by Koodo, you will have to pick one of the plans in the current selection when you remove the seasonal hold on the phone.
Camilo_A wrote:

Hi there...

If you do not want to be billed by Koodo for the time you will be out of Canada, you...

So I've researched this seasonal plan and it seems that it's only good for 6 months. I am planning on travelling Europe after the 6 months for however long I feel, so would I be better off activating my phone and selecting the cheapest plan (which I think is $35) or can I request a seasonal hold again?
Userlevel 7
Camilo_A wrote:

Hi there...

If your going to be out of the country for over 6 months and don't mind not keeping your current phone number when you get back, just cancel your service. You'll be spending 90$ on a seasonal hold for 6 months and then you will need to switch to at least the cheapest plan for 1 month before being able to go back to a seasonal hold. To cancel your service, just pay off your existing Tab and last bill. You can always reactivate when you get back!
Thank you so much!