Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moving from Canada to UK with Nexus 4 Android.

I am moving permanently to the UK and will be taking my Nexus 4 Android device with me. I bought the unit from Koodo here in Canada and have had a plan with them for several years. Obviously I won't have Koodo in the UK, The idea is to go 'plan free' and use the likes of Skype to make phone calls instead as I don't intend signing up to another phone plan. If I have wifi access, will the unit (without the phone of course) and all its apps work as normal?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
The phone will work as normal with WiFi, and since the phone is a Google phone, it is factory unlocked so if you wanted to use cell service in the UK you could set up a plan and off you go. Nothing else would need to be done to the phone when you set it up 🙂 hope that helps.
Daniel Gunn wrote:

The phone will work as normal with WiFi, and since the phone is a Google phone, it is factory un...

Excellent - just what I wanted to hear, thanks Daniel! If I did decide to set up a cell service in the UK with the phone, that would presumably require a new SIM card? If so, would I be right in thinking that my apps would be unaffected as I believe they are stored on the device itself (I'm showing 1.9GB used of internal storage on the Apps setting)? Appreciate the assistance. Steve.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Gunn wrote:

The phone will work as normal with WiFi, and since the phone is a Google phone, it is factory un...

That is correct Steve. Just keep your account settings the same. I have a Nexus 4 myself and it is an excellent device to have when you are travelling or moving to a different country as it will work on different networks. Good luck in the UK 🙂. Any other questions, feel free to ask anytime. That's what we're here for.
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Fantastic. Thaks very much Daniel.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Gunn wrote:

You're welcome! 🙂