Koodo Community

Community

Solved

motorola service

MOTOROLA SERVICE...TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Andrew,

Do you want to give us some more information about your issue? Perhaps we can help you out!
FIRST TIME USING THIS...I SET UP THE ORIGINAL POST.
I PURCHASED A MOTO X PLAY PHONE FROM KOODO ON OCTOBER 
31 OF 2015.
 THE SCREEN HAD A VERY FINE STRIPE RUNNING VERTICALLY THROUGH IT...WHICH WORSENED OVER THE 6 OR 7 WEEKS I OWNED IT TO THE POINT THAT IT WASNT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. 
PRIOR TO THE HOLIDAYS I MADE ARRANGEMENTS TO RETURN IT TO THE MOTOROLA REPAIR FACILITY IN MARKHAM, ONTARIO.
I SENT THE PHONE TO THE FACILITY VIA PUROLATOR ON DECEMBER THE 27TH.
IT IS NOW 3 FULL WEEKS THAT I HAVE BEEN WITHOUT A PHONE.
I AM STILL PAYING FOR MY MONTHLY PLAN...WHICH IT IS LOOKING DOUBTFUL I WILL EVEN GET TO USE.
ON TUESDAY OF THIS WEEK PAAST THE MOTOROLA CUSTOMER SERVICE REP FINALLY AGREED TO ESCALATE MY CLAIM AND INQUIRE AS TO WHERE MY PHONE IS.
DESPITE DAILY, REPEATED REQUESTS, I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY INFORMATION FROM MOTOROLA IN REGARDS TO WHERE MY PHONE IS, OR WHEN I MIGHT RECEIVE IT BACK

SIMPLY PUT, THIS IS THE MOST DEPLORABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.

BASED ON MY ABYSMAL EXPERIENCE I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST PURCHASING ANY MOTOROLA PRODUCT

Userlevel 7
Andrew Heard wrote:

I PURCHASED A MOTO X PLAY PHONE FROM KOODO ON...

Andrew,

Did you ship the phone through Koodo or you contacted motorola directly and shipped to them without going through Koodo? 
Andrew Heard wrote:

HEY...I WENT DIRECTLY THROUGH MOTOROLA...I SUPPOSE BECAUSE I BOUGHT THE PHONE FROM KOODO OUT OF TOWN WHILE VISITING FRIENDS. LIKELY SHOULD HAVE VISITED A LOCAL KOODO STORE.
Andrew Heard wrote:

HONESTLY, I AM NOT SURE WHY I EVEN CAME ON HERE. I GUESS THE EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN UNBELIEVABLY FRUSTRATING. DEALING WITH MOTOROLA...THEY REALLY HAVE NO BUSINESS EVEN SELLING THINGS TO CONSUMERS IF THIS IS TRULY THE WAY THEY TREAT US, I WANT OTHERS TO BE FORWARNED
Userlevel 7
Andrew Heard wrote:

See, if you would have brought the phone to the Koodo kiosk, they would have taken your phone and sent it out for repairs themselves and offered you a loaner phone that you could have used while the phone is out for repairs. It is frustrating, however not everyone offers loaner devices because of the potential implications of running such a system. I would wait to see what Motorola says, but keep in mind that some repairs can take a while. Especially when it takes 3-4 days for it to get to their depot, another 3-4 days for it to get back to you, then they need to assess the device to see how to proceed, if they need to order parts they need to wait for that, then they need to do the actual repair. Plus, your not the only one who sent them their phone I'm sure so you would also be placed in the queue. All this can take some time. Next time, bring it to a Koodo kiosk so that you can at least get the loaner phone during the repair process
Andrew Heard wrote:

my mistake...because i bought it a few hours away from a different Koodo store...

The repair facility is like 30 minutes drive away...i was told that it had to ship via purolator... Motorola has confirmed that the phone was received on wednesday 30 december. My issue is not so much with the amount of time...its simply the lack of communication. I was initially informed that 5-7 business days was the allotted time for a warranty repair. Even with the holiday...that has long since passed. And the CS reps at Motorola simply refuse to inform me as the status of the phone, why is it taking longer and when i might reasonably expect it to be returned.

Thanks for your help. I will head to Koodo in the future should i have any issues.
Andrew Heard wrote:

In the meantime...I still strongly recommend against Motorola products. 
Simply not worth the headache.
Userlevel 4
Andrew Heard wrote:

This is a comment for Mathieu. A decent repair company MUST have all the parts at hand all the times. If they have to put your phone in queue for repair, it means that too many phones fail and that their quality is "to be forgotten".
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Tiz

I am fairly certain this phone launched about August of last year...which would place it approximately half way through its average anticipated lifecycle. If the parts are not available yet...strange.

Additionally 3-4 days for shipping is extraordinarily long, especially  given that Motorola insist you use Purolator to ship. Admittedly it took 3 days to get to them, however I dropped the phone off on a Sunday afternoon between Christmas and New Years. This is I suppose an anticipated delay. 

According to the Motorola CSR, my phone should have been back to me this past Monday...worst case scenario. At present this places them an entire week behind the longest anticipated wait (best case at this juncture). With absolutely no explanation forthcoming whatsoever. At this point I do not even know if they have tracked down my phone or when I might receive it back. Motorola has now informed me twice that my case has been escalated...whatever that means.

I should also mention that Motorola utilizes an independent repair facility...Future Tel Service Centre in Markham Ontario. I considered contacting the Company myself and Googled them...a quick look at the first handful of 40 some odd predominantly negative reviews convinced me not to bother pursuing this avenue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew Heard wrote:

Standard delivery time for Purolator is 3-5 business days. 3-4 days is not exceptionally long.
Userlevel 7
Andrew Heard wrote:

Tiz, when it comes to third party repair companies such as this one, they don't deal with just one phone. They deal with a bunch of different phones, not just motorola, but many other companies. It is difficult for anyone to always have every item in stock. Plus, different phones are there for different reasons. If a screen breaks, then it could just be the user who dropped it, or a bad software update, it's no as if there are 500 moto x play's at one shop all with a single line down the screen. 
Userlevel 4
Andrew Heard wrote:

I agree with what you write but Andrew's experience exceeds any acceptable situation/delay Given that Motorola does not intervene directly into customer support matters, still Motorola should choose more carefully people taking care of their products when required to do so and on their behalf.
Andrew Heard wrote:

Everyone. Thanks so much for the feedback. I have learned much through this experience.

1) I really should have gone to Koodo,given that I did purchase the phone from them.
2) Motorola. I am still feeling very let down by the companys lack of customer service.... The company gave me the expected timeline for the repair. They have miserably failed to fix and return the phone in a reasonable time frame according to their own policy. Secondly, making matters worse, they refuse to communicate with me as to what the heck is going on,and when I might realistically expect the return of the repaired phone. I am heading into week 4.
Userlevel 2
Andrew Heard wrote:

Sorry Andrew, that you are going through this communication nightmare.Because, I bought a Motorola X-Play a few weeks back and am loving it, I feel that maybe a bit of positive feedback is warranted, as well: So far, I had to call Motorola once. Their phone technical support was very available, friendly and efficient. It was actually a pleasure to deal with them.

I hope you get your phone back soon and in good working order.
Thanks. I actually really like the phone. I know that i will be happy to get it back ...

I appreciate your positive feedback.
Okay. Just a quick upsdate. It is now Thursday morning...still no phone.
Thanks Motorola.
Received an email early (8:30) Monday morning stating that my phone had shipped, and asking if I had received it yet.
Ummm. NO. i immediately replied...firstly thanking the CSR, then asking basic questions:
a) when was it shipped
b) how was it shipped
c) a tracking number for theshipment

Well it is now thursday and I not only dont yet have a phone...I still have not received a simple, courteous reply to my very basic and polite question. I had emailed Marfa, the CSR once a day reiterating my simple request. 

Either Motorola has inept people with zero empathy or consideration working in their customer service department...or more likely management simply does not care about the customer and has very poor policy in place on how to service us.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

When I had a frustrating experience with Nokia regarding inept service (1st my phone was returned unrepaired, then replaced but locked to the wrong network - all while I was the one paying for shipping every time), I was able to get my issues resolved by taking to Twitter (public tweets at their social media team and CEO) and an email to the CEO. It got their attention, and they shipped me an expensive accessory for my trouble - which I sold and that covered the money I lost through shipping costs.
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

The Motorola saga continues. Yet another week has passed, no phone, and they cannot even tell me where my phone might be. Exactly a week after the only time they even bothered getting back to me, an email earlier this morning. Now they inform me that my phone was shipped back to my service provider. Koodo... Who I unfortunately have never involved. Yup. Just a little background on this... The entire episode from initial contact to this mornings email has been with the same CSR. there is an incredibly concise email chain. The phone was shipped back directly to the Motorola repair facility by myself with the email printout containing all pertinent information enclosed in the box, and the Motorola incident number clearly posted on the box. I called Motorola, and surprisingly Marfa the CSR I have been dealing with answered my call. I lost my cool and have subsequently apologized. I simply asked where my phone was shipped, as long as it's in the GTA, I will go get it. They haven't a clue where my phone even is. I requested a new phone bebe shipped to me overnight considering that it has obviously been lost, and was almost new. NOPE. NOTHING. I hung up the phone. All Motorola is willing to do is "escalate" my case. Forgive me but we're into week 5 now and I've been hearing the "escalate" nonsense for weeks now. DO NOT PURCHASE A MOTOROLA PHONE. DO NOT SELL THE PHONES IF YOU WORK FOR KOODO AND HAVE A CONSCIENCE
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

yikes

well Motorola finally emailed me yesterday...turns out their repair facility has the phone after all. Nothing has been done. They now say that they called and left a message on January 5... ironic considering they had no contact phone number for me...just email. I should reiterate that all pertinent information (including contact info) was enclosed in the box...and the Motorola repair/incident # was clearly printed on the outside of the package as well as on the enclosed paperwork.

Now the kicker is that Future Tell (who have been covering up lies with lies for weeks now) are claiming that the phone was somehow damaged by me, despite the fact that there is neither a scratch nor a dent or crack...the phone has never been subjected to water or mistreated. They emailed me a quote for $254 to repair the phone. Absolutely no way are they having anything to do with this repair. BUT...they require $25 just for the privilege of quoting...  I am dead serious, after all this they are more or less adding insult to injury by holding a defective phone hostage.

Userlevel 7
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

Hi Andrew, As you did not send it through Koodo, there isn't much that can be done from their end. I would get in touch with Motorola, it's their fufiller of the warranty, so perhaps they could help you out.
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

Motorola Customer Service is as bad as I have experienced, ever. The stories from the Motorola CSR never coincide with the details from their repair facility. Just this morning Rosa from Future Tell sent me an email stating that they received my phone on December 31st...despite Motorola requesting the Purolator number many weeks ago and confirming via email,  receipt on December the 30th.

At this point I am simply attempting to have my phone returned to me. Ugh. I am undecided as to whether i will have it repaired or likely purchase a different phone and simply be done with Motorola forever.
Userlevel 4
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

You can get the phone back and then involve Koodo in the same business.
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

Just read the entire thread. Very interested to see what happens . Please keep us updated. These huge companies become so large that they lose toch with the little guy who helped make them what they are. There continues to be a major disconnect between the corporation and the customer and it grows wider by the day. Unfortunately the only way they listen is when you shame them publicly and kick them in the pocket book.
Andrew Heard wrote:

Thanks Motorola.
Receive...

well...motorola / lenovo completely and totally hung me out to dry on this one.

I finally managed to get my phone back this week...unrepaired...after over 5 weeks!!!!

Hate to admit it but their absolute refusal to even respond or accept any responsibility eventually just wore me out. I suspect this may have been the game plan all along, will never truly know.

So I checked around and had the screen replaced with OEM LCD for $150. took about an hour.

All i can say is that I am relieved to finally be done with it. As soon as i can manage i will replace the phone. Definitely will never purchase a product from Lenovo...ever (they bought Motorola some time ago).

All the best to everyone
I strongly encourage all to avoid products from this company based on my exceedingly frustrating experience.