Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Motorola G Issue with Charging. Battery Issue. Instantaneous Drop In Power.

I got my new Moto G on Sunday April 20th 2014 (today is April 23rd 2014) and I had an issue where my phone battery dropped from roughly 89% full to 1%, instantaneously (not gradually), and shut off immediately. I then went and plugged the moto g to charge, and within 30 min it was "charged", which is odd (usually takes longer from 1%). But after reviewing the battery graph it showed the moto g had around 89 %, then an instant drop to 1% then while it was charging it went up to about roughly (what it looked) 10% and stayed constant, while the phone said it was fully charged. I did some research and found that other people had a similar issue, and they said it was something wrong with the phone calibration of what "fully charged" should be, so when I unplugged it from charging the first time, it technically said 96% but probably was 10%. So when it shut off, it probably was low on power, but the phone still thought it was full. I'm afraid the sensors are damaged, and there is no fix. Did anyone experience the same issue? Is this like a common problem which is more of a glitch rather than a hardware issue? I am still under warranty and want to return my phone, just to make sure it isn't a hardware or battery issue. Is there a fix?

6 replies

For anyone who is experiencing a similar issue: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=52137568 Provides the details of potential solutions. Still will probably return the phone, and see if the new one does not do this.
Userlevel 7
My Moto G is fine. I would just exchange it for a new one. You're within the buyers remorse period.
Jonathan I wrote:

My Moto G is fine. I would just exchange it for a new one. You're within the buyers remorse period.

I will test out my phone again, because they say this problem usually only happens once, and no more (as it is a software glitch) if it does occur within the remaining 11 days I have left (without exceeding my 30 minute call limit), then I will return it, otherwise I think its a minor software bug.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

It doesn't matter if you exceeded the 30 minute limit because it's a straight exchange for another phone. The 30 minute limit is if you wanted to return the phone/cancel the activation and EVEN THEN they still have to do it but you'd be charged whatever prorated amount of the month you used.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

Are there still issues with the Moto G. If I was to get one today
Badge +4
Expanding on Misha's comment and for future reference, here's an update from Motorola's forum page. Update from Motorola: "We know this is frustrating and apologize for the experience. We are working closely with Qualcomm to confirm root cause (which we believe is an intermittent error in a sensor measurement) and we are testing algorithm adjustments to filter out any spurious measurements. The phone is shutting down in these instances as a protection mechanism based on this incorrect measurement. All of the diagnostic data we've examined shows that the battery of your devices is okay - indeed this is why you can continue to use the phone at "1%" - because the battery still is really charged at whatever level before the abrupt drop. We'll share more data here as soon as we have it; unfortunately exact release schedules for updates depend on several things (carrier lab approvals, etc.) and this is not the only item in this release. However it is a priority to get out and we are testing algorithm adjustments now". So it looks like an update from Motorola will likely repair the problem. However, I agree with Jonathan that it's best to get a new device because, as stated by Motorola, there's no telling when the update will get released.