Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto X Play - photos

Okay, you guys have convinced me to go with the Moto X Play.  Reviews I've read agree with you.  Here's my chief question:

When we go on vacation I take 700-800 pictures - of what I went to see, not of myself, i.e., few if any selfies - and then download to my computer for editing when I get home.  How many will this device hold?  Do I need to add an SD card and if so, what amount of memory?

While we're at it.... what's this "$100.gift" being offered by Koodo when purchasing this phone?

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi John, You don't NEED a memory card, but it'll be a better option for you. I would say go with at least 32gb of storage, if not 64g just to be safe. The memory card will also make it a lot easier to transfer pictures as well. For the.gift, it typically is a visa.gift card only offered to new customers. So if this is a new device on your existing account, you won't get the 100$.gift card if you go to a Koodo kiosk. However, typically WalMart will offer the.gift card to everyone but instead of a Visa.gift card, it'll be a WalMart.gift card.
Excellent response, thank you.  Though I still don't know how many pix I can hold.  (My 10 year old camera tells me exactly how many I have and how many more I can store.)  A larger amount of storage does indeed make sense.

I'm currently a Virgin customer with a pre-SIM clamshell, so excuse my general level of ignorance on these "new-fangled" things.  The clamshell is near death so I need a replacement and should make a great leap forward.  I had hoped to simply buy a device, get someone on the internet to unlock it, then a SIM from PC Mobile or 7-11 and pay $100/year to cover my 30 minutes or so of phone usage per month.  However, I've been told that I will soon find all kinds of uses, just like all these other people i see walking around mesmerized by their devices.  So I think Koodo is being very smart by offering this $100.gift card.  It would essentially pay for my first three months of usage on the cheapest plan, after which I could cancel and go back to my original idea - or keep going if I find I like this.  And it would help me avoid the hassle of trying to persuade someone to actually sell me the phone without getting tied in.

Make sense?
Userlevel 7
John Edward wrote:

Excellent response, thank you.  Though I still don't know how many pix I can hold.  (My...

You will need to keep the Koodo service for 90 days or else you will need to refund the.gift card. Plus you will still need to pay off the tab if you decide to cancel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Edward wrote:

Excellent response, thank you.  Though I still don't know how many pix I can hold.  (My...

Your camera can provide you a better estimate of the pictures because it's a dedicated camera. It knows that the storage is dedicated for photos. I'm not saying it's impossible for phones to do this, but I don't recall encountering one that does.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Using an SD card is never a bad idea. I'd recommend at least 32 GB. The difference in price between 16 GB and 32 GB is usually negligible. Since this is something you can later use in another device, you may even opt for 64 GB or 128 GB, if there's a good sale on (I grabbed a 128 GB on Boxing Day because it was $40 - I didn't need that much at the moment, but it's never a bad thing to have more storage).

That being said, will you be travelling with a laptop? A few years back, when I was travelling with my DSLR, I'd always transfer my photos to my laptop at the end of the day to free up space. I still do this as a backup in case something happens to the originals.
Every time I think I understand things... something new crops up.  SD.. SDHC...SDXC.  Will the X Play accept any of these?  Should I choose one over another?

We travel with a netbook.  Most evenings are spent documenting the trip.  I can't see us doing that with just our thumbs on a small screen.  Your suggestion of transferring the images is a headslap moment.  Makes perfect sense, really.

BTW, I just noticed that Best Buy is also offering a.gift card with this device if activated with Koodo.  But theirs is $125.  I don't know if the other conditions are the same; they say you have to ask at the store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Edward wrote:

Every time I think I understand things... something new crops up.  SD.. SDHC...SDXC.  W...

Capacity (the moto X should accommodate up to 128GB)
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/index.html
Speed (the Moto X should support UHS-1, but Im not sure about UHS-3)
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/speed_class/index.html

Best Buy gives Best Buy.gift cards instead.  Also their return policy may differ from a Koodo Kiosk

Regarding # of photos held, you can use this guide.  If you are using the phone's internal memory only, note that space is required for the operating system, emails, apps, text messages, etc.  So that will chew up your phone hard drive space.
http://www.photoreview.com.au/guides/pocket-guides/digital-photography/how-much-memory-do-you-requir...
John Edward wrote:

Every time I think I understand things... something new crops up.  SD.. SDHC...SDXC.  W...

I bought the phone yesterday.  At Walmart.  They offered a $125.gift card valid on anything Walmart sells.  The Koodo offer is limited to a $50 preloaded Visa card + $50 credit towards accessories from Koodo.
Userlevel 4
I have a Moto X Play, and out of the box, approximately 11GB is available. Most of the pics I take are approx 5MB each, so 700-800 would be 3.5-4GB
Userlevel 4
I would strongly endorse getting a memory card since the extra space will come in handy should you shoot some video as well
Sounds like there is plenty of memory built-in for photos.  I do shoot video also, typically 1-2 hours for each trip, but my video camera at least is from this decade, and I can go for that whole time, over a 5 week period, without needing a recharge.  Still, I'd like to compare vs the Moto.  I like the thought of carrying just a single very compact device vs even a small video camera + a still camera.

I'm definitely on board with the extra memory.  I learned that waaaaay back when my employer (a bank) used to buy IBM PCs with 512K memory to save money, then pretty soon we had to buy sleeves of chips and install them on the motherboard manually to bring it up to 640K.  I've lost count of how many times that kind of thing has happened since.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also if you plan on taking out your SD card to put into any other device such as your computer you'll want to make sure at set up that you choose the option to set up as removable storage and not internal storage or you won't be able to read the card on any other device but the phone. Me personally I set up as internal Storage and use Google Photos to back up my photos and access them anywhere else, this also ensures that if the phone gets lost or the card becomes corrupt that those pictures are not lost. You can set it to automatically back up your photos as soon as taken if connected to a data connection or as soon as you connect to a wifi connection to save data. Google Photos also does an amazing job of separating your photos by chosen methods such as time, place, ect.
Some excellent tips, thanks.  I don't remove my SD card from my current camera, but why not leave myself the option?  Or if the phone gets damaged and I want to move the SD to a new phone.  Unless there is some downside to choosing to make it removable storage?
Userlevel 7
John Edward wrote:

Some excellent tips, thanks.  I don't remove my SD card from my current camera, but why not ...

The phone uses a Micro SD card, not a regular SD card that your camera would most likely use. So they would not interchangeable between the devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Edward wrote:

Some excellent tips, thanks.  I don't remove my SD card from my current camera, but why not ...

Micro sd cards typically come with an adapter to allow allow them to be used in a regular sd slot though.
Badge +4
John Edward wrote:

John, that's exactly what Paul is talking about. Setting the microSD card as removable storage will allow you to view the files/photos that are on the card and you'll be able to move the microSD card to a new phone or any other device you choose. So no, there is no downside to making the card removable storage. Selecting internal storage will format and encrypt the contents of the microSD card making it impossible to be read by other devices. The microSD card now becomes an extension of internal storage and cannot be removed from your phone. Physically, the card can still be removed, but the Android system relies on the card and removal will cause system instability. The ability to choose between removable storage and internal storage is a feature exclusive to Android Marshmallow. Since your camera is not an Android device, the SD card is considered removable storage anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I recommend that you get a 64gb micro SD card. Preferably a Samsung evo. They're extremely fast, reliable, and the price is right. Things are slowing down memory wise in the past couple of years. The Moto X typically takes photos of 5MB and 1080p video bit rate of 17mbps or 127.5MB per minute of video. Storage is dirt cheap these days and Amazon has a 128gb card for 40 bucks on sale atm too. You should be very much future proofed unless you need dozens of movies and shows on your device at once or a giant catalogue of music. So even if you keep the card a few years later you upgrade to a 4k video phone, it'll still handle 1-2 hours of 4k video AND storage will be that much cheaper. Additionally you can take advantage of formatting it as internal storage as rikkster said. However, I would like to add that moto's implementation retains it as a discrete part of internal storage, so it should not cause system instabilities.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I recommend that you get a 64gb micro SD card. Preferably a Samsung evo. They're extremely fast, ...

I think you mean alternatively, not additionally, as it is one or the other, not both. Just to avoid confusion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I recommend that you get a 64gb micro SD card. Preferably a Samsung evo. They're extremely fast, ...

Wel I meant in addition to what I said in the first paragraph as opposed to choosing to use the micro SD conventionally or formatting as internal storage.
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Hi Goran. I was trying to point out the possible downside of formatting the microSD card as internal storage. Since John indicated he wanted to remove the microSD card, he can do so by choosing the removable storage method. When formatting the card for internal storage, removing the microSD card from the phone is no longer an option. Doing so will cause system instability.

From what I've been reading and from my own experiences, the microSD card is formatted as a local, 128-bit AES encrypted EXT4 drive and mounted as part of the system. It is then set as preferred storage and you're prompted to move data over. Newly generated data is placed on the adopted storage by default.

If John has no intention of ever removing the microSD card, then yes, I fully agree that by formatting the card as internal storage, this should not cause system instability.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I am not aware of guaranteed "system instability." It would also depend on what you define as such. Motorola states that you should only lose the use of apps and data that have been moved over to the micro SD internal storage. System and built-in apps cannot be moved, so I'm not sure how this impacts the stability of the OS. Although there is little point in doing it unless you run out of room for apps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I have run into one issue after setting my Micro SD card as internal Storage on my Moto X Play and that is with SwiftKey, I constantly lose my predictions on the keyboard and instead of predictions it says above the keys to check SD card. I Uninstalled the SwiftKey app and reinstalled it and the same thing happens. I forgot to mention it says it sometimes and sometimes the predictions are there. So I wouldn't call it perfectly stable but this is the only issue I have run into in the time I use it which is not much since it's a backup device to my Nexus 6P but something to keep in mind.