Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto X Play Charging & Crashes

Hi all:

I've tried searching these forums and the internet, but cannot find solutions that quite match my problem. Been dealing with intermittent, but increasingly frequent issues when it comes to charging my Moto X Play. I should have suspected there would be problems at the outset when the phone came out of the box unable to start, needing a quick charge at the kiosk to do so.
A good part of the time it charges without issue. However, as the past few months have gone on, I now expect at least 1-2 issues/week to come up when charging my phone. They vary in symptoms but basically involve the phone completely crashing (to the point that I wonder if it’s bricked) when either charging or immediately after charging.
Here are a few examples (hopefully I describe these in a manner that makes sense):
  1. Charged phone to full, took it off charger and started using it. Within 10 minutes the phone blacked out. Could not do a hard restart or start it in restore mode. Ultimately was able to start when plugged into USB
  2. Similar crash, but the phone would respond to being plugged in. However, it is limited to only showing the battery icon (the one you see when it’s off but charging - just the icon, no indication of battery level) and then black out unresponsive
  3. Phone off and plugged into turbo charger. Will not restart. Takes unplugging/plugging a few times to get it to respond
  4. Had phone on turbo charger overnight and it did not charge (it recognized it was plugged in to turbocharger, but made no difference)
  5. Had it plugged in to turbocharger for over an hour, phone recognizes it as such, but battery level stays at 80%. Plug it into regular charger and watch battery level shoot up to full within seconds.
  6. Just last night had phone on standard charger. Went to bed at it at around 80% (and on), woke up this morning to seeing the charging screen on (no indication of battery level). Unplug/Plugin and find it almost completely drained (3%)
The only time in which no symptoms appear is when it’s plugged into USB. However, I’m not paying for a 5 month-old phone in which that’s the only way I can charge it with a reasonable expectation it will work as intended.

Any advice appreciated.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Since you've already done a bit of trouble shooting I'd ask if you tried using different charge and sync cables? If the answer is yes, the next thing I'd ask is if you wiggle the connection where the cable meets the charging port does the charging stop and start in sync to the wiggle? If the answer is yes then the charging port is damaged and will need to be repaired. This repair isn't covered under the standard mfr warranty but may be covered under an extended warranty if you purchased such a thing. If the answer is no, I'd suggest a factory reset. If after that the problem persists then call Koodo tech support so you can arrange for warranty repair. Be sure to include a note with your phone of what you've already tried to resolve the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Since you've already done a bit of trouble shooting I'd ask if you tried using different charge a...

I wouldn't accept the manufacturer refusing to cover the charging port if there's no apparent damage to it. I understand physical damage generally being excluded from warranty, but if the phone shows no signs of abuse, I believe that it should be covered.

Persistently pestering them on social media tends to get the job done.
Chad Burr wrote:

Since you've already done a bit of trouble shooting I'd ask if you tried using different charge a...

Hi Ivan:

Thanks for your response. Hopefully that doesn't become an issue. Checking the connector across three different cables shows that the phone universally passed the "wiggle test."

As I type this, the quirkiness continues...

With the phone on 3% this morning (it crashing/draining while charging) I tried the turbocharger and got it to about 80-85% before heading off to work. Now that I'm in the office, I am charging it via my laptop USB. I plugged it in less than five minutes ago and the phone is now on 100%. No way it should charge that quickly via that method.

Hopefully a factory reset fixes this.
Hi Chad: Thanks for the speedy response. Yup - tried different cables (both regular and turbocharger), which was my first suspicion. Just rechecked connector and it's solid. Looks like a factory reset will be next thing I try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it works fine while plugged into USB, your battery could be suspect. With only 5 month's use on it, I would get it in for warranty repair pronto.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It sounds like there could a battery and/or battery connectivity issue. In either case, as others have said, invoke the warranty post haste.
Badge +4
Thankfully, you're not in Lori's predicament, (link below). I'm convinced these charging anomalies have something to do with Marshmallow. I've never heard of any charging issues while these phones were running Lollipop.

A factory reset may help, but I'm doubtful as the phone probably shipped with Marshmallow to begin with. Dead in the box, not a good sign. Most if not all devices I get have at least a 35% or slightly higher charge, enough for one to power on the device. I too agree that if all else fails, warranty work is the next step.

https://community.koodomobile.com/koo...
rikkster wrote:

Thankfully, you're not in Lori's predicament, (link below). I'm convinced these charging anomalie...

I read that last night. What a mess. I did wonder if my phone's problems are related to the 6.0 update. However, these issues have come up prior to that (my phone had 5.0 or 5.1 - can't recall - upon purchase), but not nearly as frequent.

I should add that the battery was at full out of the box, but still was dead/unresponsive until being plugged in for a moment to 'wake it up.' Still not terribly confident in motorola/lenovo's quality control. Never experienced anything like this with my 2nd gen moto g
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Thankfully, you're not in Lori's predicament, (link below). I'm convinced these charging anomalie...

I don't hold Motorola in particularly high regard when it comes to quality, but lemons can be found in every orchard.
Yeah this phone needs to go in. Charged it overnight, checked on it this morning and it says 100%, starts to boot properly, I go get ready for work, come back out and it's dead black again. Try turning it on and all I get is a blank battery charging screen for a few seconds. Took a few tries plugged in to my computer's USB to get it to respond, but went black after booting again. This is now my 3rd attempt this morning to have a functioning phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KG wrote:

Yeah this phone needs to go in. Charged it overnight, checked on it this morning and it says 100%...

Unless you have a working backup phone, please remember to get a loaner from Koodo when you take in your phone for service, otherwise, you may have issues getting a loaner if you initially decline the option. 
KG wrote:

Yeah this phone needs to go in. Charged it overnight, checked on it this morning and it says 100%...

Good advice! I have my old moto g updating as I type.
Thanks very much for the swift, helpful responses everyone. After more issues along these lines this morning, it's now off for warranty repair. Will let you know how it turns out.
Well a brief update to this issue. I had my phone taken in for warranty repair shortly after this original post. Within a week I had my phone back (the note provided only said "part replaced"). Things up to yesterday have been working fine, but now the issues are creeping up again. Had my phone at 70% when I placed it in my bag for a soccer match. After the game ended took it out and it was again completely unresponsive. Could not hard restart, etc. Had to plug it back in to get it to respond. Phone said it was at 100% and booted. Ended up turning it off/on a few times for it to get to the correct reading of 68%.

Fast forward to this morning. Phone was on charger all night, and I start using it again with no problems. Well, until I got a notification to use my facebook code generator (two factor authentication is activated). Notification popped off, phone blacked out. Holding down power button or attempting to start in recovery mode will not work. It takes multiple attempts to plug phone into wall socket for it to start up again.

I'm disappointed in this phone. I'm about to head to Japan in a few days and was planning on using this for access to google maps. I even paid to have it unlocked for then. Looks like I'll be heading back to the Koodo kiosk at my local mall to see what can be done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KG wrote:

Well a brief update to this issue. I had my phone taken in for warranty repair shortly after this...

Hope your issues get solved, but just an aside. Save yourself some $¥$ by downloading HERE or MapFactor Navigator + the maps you will need ahead of time on wifi. You'll be able to do basic navigation without need for any data connection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KG wrote:

Well a brief update to this issue. I had my phone taken in for warranty repair shortly after this...

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues. You'll at least have a loan phone that you can use so you still have some use, just it'll unfortunately be locked.
KG wrote:

@Bob - Thanks for the very timely tip. I was wondering about offline maps because google maps doesn't seem to have that available for Japan.

@Goran - Thankfully I still have my 2nd Gen Moto G as a backup. I'm hoping Koodo will waive the unlock fee considering my unlocked phone will either be in the shop or of dubious utility otherwise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KG wrote:

Are you referring to your Moto G being locked or if you get a new one? Motorola unlock codes can be found on ebay for 3-5 dollars in general. I would just do that if you get a new one that's working. Do be aware though in case you do not already know: Motorola voids all non-hardware (like 100% hardware issue) warranty claims if you unlock your phone.