Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G5 Availability?

Motorola has released the Moto G5 a little while ago, but Koodo is still selling the G4 everywhere I can find. Is there a usual length of time it takes for Koodo to stock new phones or any other way I can find out when I'll be able to get a Moto G5 from Koodo?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We havne't heard anything yet. It seems likely that Koodo will carry some G5 or G5+ variant, given the history of carrying moto Gs by Koodo. Just check in on the site periodically.
Userlevel 6
Looks like Koodo won't get this one...link to Motorola site.
Moto G5 exclusive to Bell/Virgin/Videotron.
Moto G5+ so far in US market, not yet in Canada.
This doesn't mean you cannot use the Moto G5 with Koodo. If you wait long enough, Virgin Mobile will offer crazy incentives for the phone with $0 upfront on a silver plan, keep the service with Virgin for 90 days, then cancel (or cancel next day if you want to stick it to the sales rep), and buy out.
Unlock code on ebay for $2-5 for the phone. It's $250 retail, but can be promo'd out nicely coming back to school followed by the holiday rush.
Userlevel 1
If Koodo gets the G5S or G5S Plus, that would be heavenly. They have everything I'm looking for in a phone spec-wise from Motorola (especially in regards to RAM).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Having a 625 paired with 4gb of ram is nice but you'd think they'd move on to the 630 already but it should be a winning combination. Unfortunately it doesn't seem Koodo is carrying new moto phones at this time.
Userlevel 1
Goran wrote:

Having a 625 paired with 4gb of ram is nice but you'd think they'd move on to the 630 already but...

Which saddens me, because my G4 Play is actually a really excellent phone. Considering I don't do much in the way of heavy gaming or social media, the phone easily tackles everything I need it to. The only hampering factors are the lack of fast charging (the battery is amazing though) and the insufficient RAM, which causes certain apps to crash.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Having a 625 paired with 4gb of ram is nice but you'd think they'd move on to the 630 already but...

The Asus zenfone 3/4 would be the closest analogues in capability and ram while available in Canada. Xiaomi would be quite a bit cheaper with the Mi A1 270 ish CAD atm but no warranty support but excellent update track record.
Goran wrote:

I bought a Moto g5plus 64gb US make . I phone Koodo and ask the guy if it would be compatible with Koodo and he said yes . He said as long as it is unlocked. I hope he is right. 
Userlevel 1
Goran wrote:

Out of curiosity where did you get yours?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

He should be right. I know someone who got one in the states and is using it without issue. Also I forgot to mention about the MI A1 is its stock android (A1 means Android One). Think of it as a nexus phone. 2 years guaranteed updates and handled by Google. Again just no warranty support in Canada although now it's supported in Europe. Who knows...in a couple years it could come here with support.
Userlevel 1
Okay guys, question for you. If I order this from Motorola's US website, will it work on Koodo's network? This is a pretty great price even with the exchange rate. https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-plus-gen-5-special-edition
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Eric King wrote:

Okay guys, question for you. If I order this from Motorola's US website, will it work on Koodo's ...

Order the AT&T version, and you’ll be fine.
Userlevel 1
Eric King wrote:

Okay guys, question for you. If I order this from Motorola's US website, will it work on Koodo's ...

To clarify, you're saying that any phone that works on AT&T will be compatible?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Eric King wrote:

Yes.
Userlevel 1
Eric King wrote:

Thank you!