Koodo Community

Community

Solved

moto g updating to 4.4?

I've had my moto G for two days now, and have been trying to update to 4.4. Whenever I go to system updates, it says that I am up to date, although I am on 4.3. Does anyone else have this problem? I have tried factory reset and still doesn't work. Any advice? Thanks.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/21/android-engineer-explains-why-mashing-check-for-updates-on-nexus-devices-isnt-helping-you/ Google usually staggeres these releases in case there is a bug so they don't have a bunch of devices out there with a huge bug. Try to avoid constantly checking for updates as that may actually hurt your chances of getting the update sooner. Check out this article first brought to our attention by John Burke
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've always done this and usually get updates before anyone. As far as what it's supposedly messing up just after you update then delete your Google account & re-enter it and away you go like nothing was ever affected 😉 They just don't want everyone doing this so if there is issues there's less pp affected by it, so it is best to wait if you don't want to take chances.
Userlevel 6
Apparently there is a problem with the update as it was messing up people's SIM cards, so Motorola suspended it until a fix can be found. That's what my source at Motorola told me. And the messing up the SIM is true as there are a few threads here about that issue.
Userlevel 6
Here is one of the post. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/bug_with_kitkat_4_4_2_update_on_moto_g
Userlevel 7
I was informed after this post that Chris is correct, there was an issue noticed so the update was halted while they figure it out. Be patient or root and adb
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

I was informed after this post that Chris is correct, there was an issue noticed so the update w...

Considering the possible issues, I think that patience in this case is wise.
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

I was informed after this post that Chris is correct, there was an issue noticed so the update w...

Heard from my friend at Motorola. They found the bug and theyare working on fixing the software. He expects it will take a couple of weeks before it will be re-released. Patience indeed, just a little. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Chad Burr wrote:

Chris does that mean Motorola is looking to solve the card issues?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

The original update being pushed out did not work with older, version 1, sim cards which is why replacing the sim fixed the problem. (All sim cards sold by koodo now are version 3)
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

@ Moto G From what I understand once the new/updated software is released you won't even have to replace your SIM even if it's a V1. We shall see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Update was just pushed out today to the Moto G that fixes all the issues ppl have reported in this forum, do head into the settings and check for the update if you haven't been notified yet.
How long should it take to get to all motto g's? Still says up to date at 4.3
Userlevel 4
Brenden Sleeman wrote:

How long should it take to get to all motto g's? Still says up to date at 4.3

No one can tell you. Given they have released it, it can be anytime.