Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G – No Cellular Data

Userlevel 1
I have a Moto G and if I turn off cellular data, it won’t work when I turn it back on. If I then power off the phone and power it back on it works fine. I can also go into the testing mode (dial *#*#4636#*#* and select phone information and then tap “Turn off Radio”, wait a few seconds and then tap “Turn on Radio”) and that also works (the H+ comes back on shortly after the radio does) so that kind of proves there is nothing wrong with my APN settings. Obviously I don’t want to leave data on at all times and having to restart the phone to get data to work after turning it on every time is really annoying. Can anyone help to prevent this Moto G from accidentally (on purpose) reaching a horrible death (I'm about ready to throw it out the window at 10,000 ft above the North Atlantic)? Any insight appreciated. It's running Android version 5.0.2.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
if you were currently at 10,000 feet above N. Atlantic the easy answer is that our cell services do not reach that high up....but do not think you are, so.... Your data is obviously turned on The easiest thing to try is to enter another APN (exactly the same as the first APN only call this one Koodo 2 (the name does not matter you just want to remember the name that you enter so that you can choose that APN when you are done). I used to work for tech support and when we had a problem like this, one of the troubleshooting steps was to enter a new APN - it did work a lot of the time http://help.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-data-and-other-services/data-basics/how-do-i-setup-data-on-my-non-koodo-phone This link does give you the info that you need....you may want to enter the port and proxy numbers also (they are the same as MMS proxy and MMS port numbers) If this does not work try calling tech support at Koodo, they may be able to look into your account and see if the data has maxed out (does not seem that way since you can get the radio) Hope this helps, but I do have one question for you - which do you think would kill it the landing or the swimming (the fall from 10,000 feet will give it time to reflect) 🙂
Userlevel 1
Dave wrote:

if you were currently at 10,000 feet above N. Atlantic the easy answer is that our cell services ...

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try. It's definitely not that I ran out of data, I rarely use 10 MB of the 2 GB limit. Yes, I understand that cell phones don't work at 10,000 ft altitude, of course the 9/11 commission would have you believe they are completely usable at 33,000 ft 🙂 I think it would likely survive the impact of hitting the water but would quickly succumb to not being water-proof and if it comes to that I'll make sure I am flying over an area where the ocean is several miles deep 🙂
Userlevel 1
[b]Sure seems to have fixed it. Created a new APN with the [i]exact same settings as the existing one and everything is back on track. I even notice what seems to be a new feature that wasn't working before - when I turn on WiFi, it automatically turns off cellular data (the H+ disappears) and then automatically turns it back on (the H+ reappears) if I turn off Wifi. Thanks for the help, much appreciated, another life (phone) saved.