Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G - Mobile data wont turn on

I use WIFI on my phone whenever I can. However, there are times I have no connection and I do turn the data on. For about a week now the data will NOT come on. I turn the Mobile Date to "ON" but the H+ symbol that tells me I am connected does not appear. When I try to go on a website (like Facebook) it tells me I have no internet connection. Is it possible that I might have accidentally deactivated something elsewhere? What settings can I check to see if everything is turned on and accurate for my data to turn on.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Check you self serve and view your add-ons. Do you have Data block on your account? If not, try taking out your sim and turning off your phone for a few mins. Then try again
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also make sure your APN settings are correct to access data on Koodo's network. Name KOODO  APN sp.koodo.com  Proxy leave blank  Port leave blank  Username leave blank  Password leave blank  Server leave blank  MMSC http ://aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc  MMS Proxy 74.49.0.18  MMS Port 80  MCC 302  MNC 220  Authentication type None  APN type leave blank  APN Protocol IPv4  APN roaming protocol IPv4  Enable/Disable APN APN enabled  Bearer Unspecified
Had wondered what was up while out trying to use an app Turned phone off then on and it worked again Did not have this problem before the latest Motorola Update Service Update earlier this week Hopefully when we get the new Lollipop it will be working properly again
I also had this problem on my newly acquired Moto G which has immediately upgraded itself to Lollipop. I found that if wifi was on, then data H+ would not connect but as soon as wifi turned off it would connect. At first I too was rebooting phone like Jason. Try it, see if this helps.
Shouldn't I be able to use H+ WITHOUT turning off wifi? Has anyone found a good solution to this? Or know the cause/source of the problem? Does upgrading to lollipop help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Krueger wrote:

Shouldn't I be able to use H+ WITHOUT turning off wifi? Has anyone found a good solution to this...

How do you know H+ is not connecting? What is happening is that when wifi is connected, there is not need to use cellular data. However the phone is still connected to H+ for talk and text
David Krueger wrote:

Shouldn't I be able to use H+ WITHOUT turning off wifi? Has anyone found a good solution to this...

Like OP, "When I try to go on a website (like Facebook) it tells me I have no internet connection" there is wifi (I have bars), but it is password protected and I cannot connect to it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Krueger wrote:

Ok well if you cannot connect to wifi, you ned to disconnect from from it in order to use your data. There is only 1 data pipeline (currently for your phone). Either it is turned onto wifi or data. You cannot use both at the same time. So since Data is always on in the background and it is expensive, it is designated as priority B. When a phone detects and connects to a wifi signal, the phone will always try to connect exclusive to the wifi for data use (Priority A)
David Krueger wrote:

Well that's pretty stupid. If Wifi is on, but there is no connection isn't the phone smart enough to try cell data ? Dumb engineers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Krueger wrote:

the new iphones have this option.  I recommend to my friends and family to turn this off since they have unexpectedly used data when they thought they were using free wifi
David Krueger wrote:

I've tried this and still won't use my mobile data. I have metro pcs. I can make and receive calls, but nothing else. Is there anything else  can try? I have the 2nd gen moto g.
Badge +4
David Krueger wrote:

If this is a Koodo phone and you're using MetroPCS, you may have to alter the APN settings on your phone. This is done by going to: Settings > More > Mobile networks > Access Point Names. Create a new APN and don't forget to save your settings.

I found two APNs for MetroPCS. They differ slightly. Give them try and if data still doesn't work, you may want to contact MetroPCS direct to get the correct APN settings.

Name: MetroPCS
APN: fast.metropcs.com
Proxy: Not Required
Port: Not Required
Username: Not Required
Password: Not Required
Server: Not Required
MMSC: http:// metropcs.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: leave blank
MMS port: leave blank
MCC: 310
MNC: 16
Authentication type: Not Required or just use the default value shown
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: MetroPCS
APN: fast.metropcs.com
Proxy: Not Required
Port: Not Required
Username: Not Required
Password: Not Required
Server: Not Required
*MMSC: http://%20http://%20metropcs.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc%20rel=
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:
MCC:310
MNC:260
Authentication type:
APN Type: default,mms,supl
APPN protocol:IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol:IPv4

*MMSC: http:// metropcs.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
David Krueger wrote:

Thank you. This fixed my issue. Appreciate it.
David Krueger wrote:

So I have same issue with htc sense on koodo network ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Krueger wrote:

Have you tried all the solutions above?
David Krueger wrote:

Mine is a HTC phone on a Koodo network - I tried filling in Apn data from another help site but to no aveil. The above information for apn doesn't relate , does it? A bit clueless with this jargon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Krueger wrote:

Have you checked the info. available on this site, Andrew? That should provide everything you need to update settings for a non-Koodo phone.