Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G, Kit Kat 4.4.2, - Was it what you hoped for? (Tips & Tricks Edition)

Badge +4

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You should have submitted this for your Mobile Master blog Rikkster
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Done, thank you Paul.

I have a recovery thing invade somting els goes rong

I'm unable to connect my 1tb HDD thru otg cable, kindly support
Userlevel 6
This is indeed a brilliant write up! Well done!
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

This is indeed a brilliant write up! Well done!

Thank you, Chris.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
jcsousa wrote:

I love Moto G, no problems at all with the update to Kit Kat. I have a Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB, Wi...

The Moto G will take a little more RAM because it's a phone yes and also because it has a few Motorola apps running in the background that the pure Android running on the Nexus series doesn't have.
Badge +4
jcsousa wrote:

I love Moto G, no problems at all with the update to Kit Kat. I have a Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB, Wi...

It's actually a little more than that, when you consider that a gigabyte of RAM is 1024 MB. (1024 - 883 = 141 MB). This is the protected portion of RAM reserved exclusively for the OS and is referred to as system memory. In terms of physical size, when you compare JellyBean to KitKat, the Kit Kat OS is nearly half the size of JellyBean. The JellyBean OS is 400 MB, whereas the KitKat OS is just under 200 MB. The smaller OS size was intentional and is designed to extend support to devices with 512 MB of RAM.
Userlevel 6
Great job, Rikkster! Very impressive! Thank you 🙂 ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Badge +4
Yannick wrote:

Great job, Rikkster! Very impressive! Thank you 🙂 ________________________ If you see a go...

You're welcome Yannick.
Userlevel 1
Mobile Shop fitted me with v3 card late November, so update was all good. Did not like the Nexus dialer at first, but it works. Before upgrade, moto g had to face south only, to use hot spot. After up grade moto g can face from south west to full west. I live in farm country hamlet, surrounded by farms and rolling hills. S2x still has to face south only. Overall Better quality camera pictures, especially notable in day light hours, livingroom window coverings open, no flash, no grainy pics. Noticed slight increase in battery usage, where as I'm plugging into charger, an hour sooner at night, after full day use. When I forget to plug in and I'm at 15% battery, I get full charge - 98%, within 40minutes on air plane mode. Moto G was great phone before upgrade and even better, after kitkat upgrade. Still learning new tips and tricks and thanks for your rikkster!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moto G wrote:

Mobile Shop fitted me with v3 card late November, so update was all good. Did not like the Nexus...

Like after any update the battery will get better over the next week or two like it did when you first got the phone, chances are within that time your battery life will go back to the #''s you were getting prior to updating. This has been the case for me and others I know with every Android device we've ever had and the Moto God should be no different.
Any Idea when the update will again go live? Networkgeek.
Userlevel 1
Ryan Provost wrote:

Any Idea when the update will again go live? Networkgeek.

It wasn't available earlier this morning, but it seems to be now. The full 4.4.2 upgrade and the patch.
Also wondering... emailed Motorola a week ago and haven't heard back from them.
Badge +4
No word as of yet. I emailed them myself as well and got a response after 12 days regarding a fix for the dialer issue and their response was to speak to the provider to obtain a new SIM card. If I catch wind of the update being released, I'll announce it here. If you hear of it before I do, by all means post the info here. If you haven't already done so, you can register here to get the latest news on updates. https://motorola-global-portal-en-ca.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/motorola-registration_en-CA
I have a very big problem with 4.4.....my moto g has still not received the update. When I search for it, my phone says it is up to date with no update available.
Userlevel 1
Thomas Skrlj wrote:

I have a very big problem with 4.4.....my moto g has still not received the update. When I search...

The release was STOPPED because of conflicts between update and certain SIM cards that created, DIALER ISSUES. Check the link above your post, posted by Rikkster!
Thomas Skrlj wrote:

I have a very big problem with 4.4.....my moto g has still not received the update. When I search...

Ahhh so just a waiting game now
Userlevel 3
I'm having issues on both my Moto G's. The "call volume" is inconsistent. When you make a call either with the speaker on or off, the first call will be full volume(which is correct), and the subsequent calls after are about half the volume or less, making it difficult to hear the other person while in public. I have turned off the phones and turned them back on, and the same thing happens. They work fine for 1-2-3 calls, and then back to half volume. Seems to be some type of software issue, as the speakers work fine on both phones. The 4.4 was updated, and since it was, this seems to be an issue. I know there's some 4.4 issues, but I haven't read about this? What would you guys suggest I do? Thanks,
Userlevel 1
Bill Melater wrote:

I'm having issues on both my Moto G's. The "call volume" is inconsistent. When you make a call...

Bill did you remove the SIM cards after you turned phone off?
Userlevel 3
Bill Melater wrote:

I'm having issues on both my Moto G's. The "call volume" is inconsistent. When you make a call...

No I didn't MG. I would have, if it was just one phone, but it's both. (and they came from 2 different TMS locations). I'm sure I'm not alone with this issue......to have both do the same thing. 😞 I really don't feel like breaking the back cover, so I'll stop at TMS if need be. Was just hoping for some clarity on the issue first..... Thanks.
Badge +4
Bill Melater wrote:

You might need to factory reset both phones. It seems odd that the exact same problem is showing up on two Moto G's from two different locations. I'm more inclined to believe that a third-party app may be causing the problem, rather than the Kit Kat update itself. To reset, go to Settings > Backup & reset - tap Factory data reset > reset phone. This will wipe all data from your device, things like apps and contact info are restorable through your Google account. Make sure 'Back up my data' and Automatic restore are enabled and that you have a Back up account.
Userlevel 3
Bill Melater wrote:

Thanks rikkster. I'll try that. Going to have to back things up first. I'm not a techy, so it may take some time. I did play with the phone a lot today, and if I turn the volume down a click and then up, I can get full volume. I'm going to try it with the call volume down one click from full for a few days, and see what happens, before I do the reset. I'll update next week. Thanks.
Badge +4
[b]Update: Nothing written in stone as of yet, for those Moto G owners who are affected with the dialer issue, you may want to manually check your Moto G for an update. We've learned that an update is imminent and should be available at some point this week. The SIM workaround is still an option, however the update promises to alleviate the problem of having to get a new SIM card to fix the dialer issue. Feedback welcomed, let us know if you've received the update.