Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G from Koodo - bootloader unlockable, but cannot flash any firmware other thant Telus

For the better part of this evening I have been trying to flash Telus Moto G with a different ROM. I even unlocked the bootloader, but to no avail. I keep getting the following errors when trying to flash bootloader, recovery and system: hab check failed for boot hab check failed for recovery invalid PIV signed system image (when trying to flash a ROM with three sparsechunks, sparsechunk.0 gives the error, two remaining flash correctly, the phone boots, but the phone is unusable (most of the menus and stuff is just not there) I have tried GPE, same thing (wouldn't even boot). Only thing that always works is flashing Telus firmware. Is there ANY way to bypass this limitation? I think it is a scandal that I am allowed to unlock my bootloader (thus voiding the warranty), but afterwards I am unable to do with the phone as I please. It would be nice to hear an answer from someone from Koodo.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
You do realize that Koodo doesn't support using alternative firmware. They aren't responsible if your device no.longer functions properly after you defeat the firmware That being said, I would try rooting it again using prescribed methods in xda and other resources.re flash cwm. Format also the /system partition before flashing the next rom.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Curious why your trying to flash other firmware on the phone at all?
Because Telus SW doesn't include Polish system language. Also, German version gets updated earlier.
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Because Telus SW doesn't include Polish system language. Also, German version gets updated ea...

How are you attempting the rom installation?
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Because Telus SW doesn't include Polish system language. Also, German version gets updated ea...

I downloaded the rom from Motorola firmware page, unpacked, added mflashtool (supposedly needed) and then "mflashtool boot boot.img" for example. From Windows cmd window. Everything works except for boot, recovery and system.
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Might I suggest to you to find a repacked version of this rom (or ask someone to repack it for you via xda forums) so that it can be flashed via cwm. I had no trouble flashing Carbon Rom in this manner. I would suggest that you're going about it the hard way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

OK I thought you were trying to get the 4.4.2 update and was going to say it got pushed out a couple days ago again after the pause while they fixed it but getting your language is a good reason .
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

@Chad how did you manage to flash CWM?
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/motorola-moto-g-clockworkmod-cwm-recovery-downloads-and-guide/
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

This worked on your Koodo Moto G? Thanks! I'll try that once I'm home. Hopefully this will work, and hopefully I'll find a rom too.
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

This is the procedure I used to flash cwm and subsequently flash a number of available roms before deciding on carbon. Good luck.
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

http://d-h.st/aHg This is the link to the KitKat rom repacked for cwm. Just in case you need to get your Moto G working again. Click the black download button. It's a confusing page.
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Thank you! This is a Telus KK Rom?
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Roms on the Moto G aren't branded. This rom is for the xt1032
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Well, they kinda are. Telus rom doesn't include Polish language, German rom does. I can flash Telus rom, and I cannot flash German one.
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Are you trying to get the system menus and everything in Polish or just trying to update the keyboard language?
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

The former.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Just download the 3rd party keyboard Swiftkey from the Playstore and it has any language you want downloadable in the settings for it
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

The former as in "the first option". I want whole system in Polish. Custom keyboard doesn't cut it. Also, we're discussing flashing and it didn't occur to you that I'd have thought of something as simple as switching keyboard?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

You said the former which I took as the second option sorry and you'd be surprised what some ppl try before the easiest option.
Userlevel 7
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

I have to agree with Paul, we see a lot of people try all kinds of things when an app or setting would get the desired results. We're just trying to help you bro.
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Sorry, no offense meant, I'm really grateful to you both for help. I'm just irritated by this situation and it shows more than I'd like it to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Just to clarify that former means the first, whereas latter refers to the second when referring back to two previously mentioned things. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Piotr Schmidtke wrote:

Ya I know I already got the explanation I just look at things differently lol
Userlevel 1
TELUS and Koodo share the same firmware for almost all devices. I recommend asking for help on XDA-developers in the Moto G section.. be sure to specify that you have a Koodo Moto G as there are many country variants.