Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G (2013 - first gen.) update to 5.1.1

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Moto G (2013) to Android 5.1 (long story). It appears that the final update for the 1st gen phone is 5.1.1 (no marshmallow).

Just curious - has anyone received the 5.1.1 update for their Moto G (or other Motorola phone)? Perhaps this is old news? 

Thanks!

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I do not believe it was released for that phone. Heres a WIKI link to the info about the phone. scroll down a bit for the updates it was set to get. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_G_(1st_generation)
Thanks Chadwick. So your understanding is that it will be available but is not yet released?

I spoke with someone at Motorola who confirmed that the first gen. phone is 5.1.1 eligible (if that makes any sense).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

Thanks Chadwick. So your understanding is that it will be available but is not yet released?

I s...

No that's not my understanding. It's an old device and hasn't received updates for a bit. But it's still running a decent version of lollipop so no huge loss there. If there saying it's eligible. Maybe its through custom ROM software. There's a lot out there you may be able to find something for that phone.
Chad Wick wrote:

I s...

[b][i]Hey, I got the update yesterday, it downloaded in 10 min's and my 1st gen., Motorola Moto G phone was updated. You can find it under the settings for the phone, scroll down to 'about phone', then click System Updates and it will be there for you. The phone gets intensely hot while updating, but I just held my phone in front of a fan for about 5 min's and the temp., went back to normal, for now?
[i][b]Hope that works for you, unless of course, you have already worked things out. Take care and stay safe Chad.

[b][i]Cal Talbot
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

I s...

Cal are you talking about 5.1 or 5.1.1 update?
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

I s...

Any chance of showing us a screenshot of the update, Cal?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

I s...

Just received an update to the device and it's still 5.1 so it was just a security update
Chad Wick wrote:

I s...

Thanks for your response Cal - I checked and didn't see any update available (i.e., updating 5.1 to 5.1.1). However, I did receive a security update a couple days ago (which I believe was released last week).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The Moto G hasn't been updated since August 2015 so I'd say it's reached its update cycle end of life and is on 5.1
Good to know, Paul - thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

NP, only know that because I have an old Moto G sitting around that my one and a half year old uses to watch videos on and I keep it fully updated for her, just checked the version number and last update date.
Chad Wick wrote:

Thanks again!