Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G (1st gen) won't install Android 5.1 update

Hello,

I own a 1st gen (Nov. 2013) Moto G. About a year ago I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it so that I could install a firewall. I haven't "messed around" with any settings otherwise.

If I recall correctly, sometime during the last year an OS update was 'pushed' and my phone had no trouble updating. However, with the most recent OS update (Lollipop 5.1) my phone continuously goes through the installation motions (briefly) but fails to update. I get a message telling me the install/update was unsuccessful.

I thought disabling the firewall before updating might help but it had no effect. I am considering a factory rest but am hesitant to do this. Does anyone out there have any advice on how I could make this update work? I would appreciate it!

Oh, by the way - I have not received any message regarding insufficient memory/space - I have approximately 2.5GB free.

Thanks in advance! 

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you running a custom ROM.?Are you trying to install it OTA?
Hi Paul,

No custom ROM and yes - trying to install it OTA.
Userlevel 5
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Paul,

No custom ROM and yes - trying to install it OTA.

Hey Chad,

Since you are trying an over-the-air (OTA), you probably need to install the Motorola Update Services app as it's necessary to enable the upgrade to Android 5 on the Moto G (1st Gen.) and some other devices.  Here's the link: http://koo.do/1vQFpBC

Hope this helps!
Hi Tayeb,

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have the Motorola Update Services app installed so I guess that means this isn't the problem?
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Tayeb,

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have the Motorola Update Services app installed s...

If you've left everything as is, no custom recovery, then it should just be a matter of re-locking the bootloader via fastboot (fastboot oem lock) and you should be able to get the OTA upgrade.
Thank you Rikkster. Could you provide me with specific instructions on how to do that or direct me to a reputable website? Also, would the process of re-locking (and potentially unlocking again) erase any of my current data (pics, apps, etc.)?

Thanks. 
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

Thank you Rikkster. Could you provide me with specific instructions on how to do that or direct m...

You shouldn't lose anything, though I never leave anything to chance, so backup whatever you want to keep just in case. Apps and contact info can be retrieved/restored once you sign back in to your Google account. You should be able to re-lock the bootloader by issuing the command 'fastboot oem lock' from a terminal program or the Command Prompt within Windows.

Putting the Moto G into fastboot mode

1. Turn off the Moto G.
2. Press and hold the Volume Down button for 2-5 seconds. While holding the Volume Down button, press the Power Button for 1-2 seconds and release.
3.The phone will display the Fastboot screen, you can now connect your phone to your PC and access it via the Fastboot tool.

On your PC, navigate to the platform-tools directory (created by the Android SDK), position the mouse pointer anywhere where there is white space within that directory. Hold the left shift key on your keyboard while pressing the right mouse button in the platform-tools directory. A window will appear, select 'Open command window here'. The Command Prompt window should now appear while showing the respective directory, platform-tools.

In the Command Prompt window, type in 'fastboot devices' (no quotations) to verify that your computer can 'see' the Moto G. A series of letters and numbers will appear verifying that the device is connected correctly. Type in 'fastboot oem lock' (no quotations). Watch for messages on your computer screen, it should say something to the effect of 'bootloader lock successful'. Type the command 'fastboot reboot' (no quotations) to reboot the phone.

Firmware XT1032 (Falcon) and additional info
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-...
Android SDK Tools (Standalone)
http://developer.android.com/sdk/inst...
Chad Wick wrote:

Thank you Rikkster. Could you provide me with specific instructions on how to do that or direct m...

Hi Rikkster,

I made some time last night to attempt the re-lock as per your instructions above. I realized that given my lack of understanding I need detailed ones - and apologies for being so slow!

If you could provide step-by-step instructions that would be great. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong but I am a little confused. Is the idea/proper sequence to run fastboot lock, flash the rom, and then complete the lock?

Here's what I did last night. I am not sure how to proceed:

I did access platform-tools directory and ran the command 'fastboot devices.' No problem there - it produced a series of letters and numbers as you mentioned. However, when I ran 'fastboot oem lock' I received the following output:

<bootloader> FAIL: Please run fastboot oem lock begin first!
<bootloader> sst lock failure!
OKAY [0.011s]
finished. total time: 0.012s

Unsure how to proceed/correct error. Detailed instructions and overview of what I'm actually trying to accomplish appreciated!

And thanks again for the support!
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Chad, here are the fastboot commands needed to re-lock the bootloader. Yes, you are correct in terms of the sequence required to lock the bootloader. Make sure the extracted contents of the factory firmware image is located in the platform-tools directory. I'm assuming you're using a factory image from Telus, Android version 5.01. You should be able to copy and paste all of the commands listed below into the terminal or command window and let it run its' course.

If you compare the factory image to the command list below, you will find there are a few additional commands used to wipe user data, erase the cache and reset modems. They are used to ensure a clean factory install.

[b]Note: when comparing the manifest, (.xml text file in the archive), to the contents of the archive, 'fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3' is not listed. I seem to recall running into this problem before and by omitting that line, the firmware install went as planned. If you get any sort of 'sparsechunk error', remove the decimal point so that the line reads: fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk0 and do that for the rest of the sparsechunk lines.

This is a template of sorts to give an idea of all of the fastboot commands required to lock the bootloader. Some commands can be omitted or edited. A revised version is displayed below this one, use that instead.

fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3 - see note
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock

Extracted from .xml manifest from the above archive, Android version 5.01. I've edited the sparsechunk lines to show them without decimal points and omitted sparsechunk3 line. Use this to re-lock the bootloader.

fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock

Hope this helps and keep us posted if you need further assistance.
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Rikkster,

Obviously it has taken me much longer than I had hoped to get to this! First of all, thanks again for providing all the commands - this is exactly what I needed.

Tonight, I picked up where I left off earlier this year - First, I downloaded a Telus factory image (5.0.2 - this is the version I was currently running) and then extracted all files to the platform-tools directory.

From there I copied the following commands you provided into the command prompt window:
--------------
fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock
----------

The commands were executed right away - once 'fastboot erase userdata' was complete (the whole process lasted ~ 5 seconds) the last command remained on screen (fastboot oem lock). It looked to me that unlike the other commands, it had not been initiated automatically. After waiting for some time I realized it hadn't been executed and decided to hit enter. Once I did, I received an unfortunate message 😞

"<bootloader> sst lock failure!"

My phone displayed a different message: "failed to validate system image."

I rebooted the phone. It attempted to download the OTA update and failed once again - No surprise there I don't think since it appears the phone remains unlocked.

Could you please offer more guidance as to what a possible solution may be? Earlier you had written you were assuming I was running 5.01 - could this be the issue? I did not see a 5.01 download option but I am assuming if I am running 5.0.2 I should download the same? Is there another explanation here? What are these messages telling me?

Again, many thanks and apologies for my ineptitude! I really appreciate your help.

Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Chad,

You're welcome. Try entering the command fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3 following in sequential order with the other sparsechunk files. It's possible the system image did not load completely by omitting that line. This should work with what you have now (5.0.2), keep me posted.

It should look like this:

fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3 - added
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock

Edit: Another option is to use mfastboot, Motorola's own fastboot utility. It too can be installed in the platform-tools directory. All of the fastboot commands will have to be changed to mfastboot as shown below.

mfastboot oem lock begin
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk0
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3 - added
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock

mfastboot utility download
http://www.mediafire.com/download/14p...
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Rikkster,

Thanks as always. I tried both methods and unfortunately received the same error. Other ideas? Should I start over from scratch or is this simply some issue with the flash?

Thanks!
Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Chad, I'll be honest, it has been awhile since I've played around with the Moto G 1st. gen and flashing firmware. I do appreciate your patience. I just downloaded a Canadian retail copy of 5.0.2 and it does show the sparsechunk entities as having the decimal point. Unfortunately, my Moto G 1st gen is long gone and most of the information is based on memory and information available on the internet. mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3 - added or omitted. Check the Telus factory image you downloaded originally and see if the decimal points are in fact included. I'm continuing my research should that method fail. I still have the recollection that the last sparsechunk line was omitted for some reason. Give it a try either way.
Chad Wick wrote:

Hi Rikkster,

I really appreciate the support. I decided to give your latest advice a try a short time ago. Just as you've recognized, the decimals do exist. I eventually realized this and decided to methodically go through the commands one by one. These specifically:

fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock
The outcome was a little different this time. Upon entering the last command (fastboot oem lock) the computer displayed, "FAILED <status read failed <Too many links>>" However, I did see the phone display, "Locked!"

Could you please clarify what this means?

The phone then appeared to become locked on the initial screen I see at boot up ("Warning Bootloader unlocked"). I was able to put it back into the fastboot screen where I noticed the following: "Device is LOCKED. Status code: 2" I think this may be some good news?

I selected "Normal power up" from the screen and a new problem may have just emerged - the phone seems stuck on the "powered by android screen" - has been displaying this for the last 10-15 minutes.

What is your take on where I'm at in the process and what I should do next? I am a little worried that the phone seems "stuck" but perhaps this is an easy fix?

Thank you!

Chad Wick wrote:

UPDATE:

Rikkster,

I have good news!

After writing my last message I realized that the issue I was having would likely be resolved by flashing the factory image. After entering the following commands and rebooting my phone I was able to download and install Lollipop 5.1 successfully (OTA)!

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3

I think I'd like to once again root my phone (unless you'd advise against this). The reason being I like having a firewall installed (which requires rooting).

I did this previously by following the steps outlined here:

http://www.cultofandroid.com/46848/rooting-the-moto-g/

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/366771-root-your-moto-g-option-1-superboot/

Is there another method you'd recommend? Do you know off hand if I will need a new unlock code? Does rooting necessitate wiping my phone?

Many thanks once again - I really appreciate your diligence and expertise!

Badge +4
Chad Wick wrote:

You’re welcome Chad and congratulations on getting your Moto G up and running! To answer an earlier question, your phone is locked. Code 2 means that the bootloader was re-locked. A new unlock code is required because you now have a locked bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader wipes the device as mentioned on Motorola’s bootloader unlocking site. Rooting normally doesn’t require a factory reset or wipe, if that’s what you’re asking. If the firewall provides an enhanced layer of security, then by all means root the phone. It’s unlikely that the Moto G 1st. gen will get another Android update, so you won’t have to repeat the process of re-locking the bootloader anytime soon. I’ve departed from the realm of rooting phones for some time now, simply because the phones I’ve been using lately have little if any need for root. My best advice, if what worked previously was easy to understand and worked for you, continue using those methods.
Chad Wick wrote:

Thanks again Rikkster. I think I'll hold off on re-rooting for now and see how things go - if I can confidently monitor/restrict data use with the existing android/google settings that should suffice!
Hi again Rikkster,

Thanks for the comprehensive information! I will give this a go (hopefully in a few days) and report back!