Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto E 2nd gen now in store. I guess we aren't getting the Moto G 2nd gen?


Moto E is the cheaper, scaled down version of the Moto G. The Moto G 2nd gen sells for the same price as the Moto G 1st gen just about anywhere. So my question is: why?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I guess because Koodo wanted a cheaper phone in their line, but yes it makes me sad too. Moto G is about the best budget phone I have ever come across, and apparently the Moto E is nowhere near as good 😞
Sophia wrote:

I guess because Koodo wanted a cheaper phone in their line, but yes it makes me sad too. Moto G i...

It's only cheaper for them since they are selling the E at the price of the G.
Userlevel 5
Now heres the question, are you comparing things to the new 2nd gen Moto E or the first gen variant. Koodo has launched the newest version of the Moto E, but the problem is most people are comparing things to the 1st gen. Besides the screen being a bit smaller, its a better screen, newer processor, expandable memory and running lollipop on the Moto E that is available from Koodo. So looks pretty decent to me.
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

Now heres the question, are you comparing things to the new 2nd gen Moto E or the first gen varia...

Moto E 1st gen < Moto E 2nd gen < Moto G 1st gen < Moto G 2nd gen There's no point of bringing the new Moto E AND the new Moto G since the Moto E sells for $150, which should be the price of the new Moto G. So basically, Koodo went from Moto G 1st gen to Moto E 2nd gen, which is a downgrade instead of the expected upgrade to the Moto G 2nd gen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

Now heres the question, are you comparing things to the new 2nd gen Moto E or the first gen varia...

It's not really a downgrade. The fair comparison here would be 1st gen Moto G to 2nd gen Moto E, as these are the two phones that Koodo carries: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6986&idPhone2=5831 The only place where the Moto E is inferior is the display, which is of slightly lower resolution. Everything else is equal or better. Plus, the Moto E features expandable storage.
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

Now heres the question, are you comparing things to the new 2nd gen Moto E or the first gen varia...

I disagree. The display is inferior, the battery is inferior, the front camera is inferior and there's no flash on the back camera. That's quite a downgrade. Anyways, the point is people like me who were waiting to upgrade their Moto G with the Moto G gen2 are SOL. No one with a Moto G will "upgrade" to a Moto E.
Badge +4
The other difference is that the Moto E is LTE capable. LTE is not an option for the first or second generation Moto G. Not necessarily a huge selling point, but it's there. http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6647&idPhone2=6986
rikkster wrote:

The other difference is that the Moto E is LTE capable. LTE is not an option for the first or sec...

The Moto G is still a fast device on HSPA+
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

The other difference is that the Moto E is LTE capable. LTE is not an option for the first or sec...

No argument here, just pointing out the difference between the two models.

Reply