Koodo Community

Community

Solved

moisture in the usb port dry to charge galaxy s7

I have a samsung galaxy s7 on a tab with koodo. I got this phone about two months ago now. A few days ago my phone was left in a bookbag and i believe some condensation from a water bottle or mud may have gotten into my USB (charging) port while I was at a beach. I believe this as a few hours after the incident i tried using my headphones and it would play music just through the speaker and about an hour later i tried charging with no success. I got a message telling me there was moisture in my usb port and to dry it for use. I then put the phone in rice after testing with few chargers and left for it half a day or so. I tried it again in the morning after taking it out of the rice and drying it with a low setting hair dryer, i also tried a q-tip. The headphone jack worked perfectly fine and the charging worked for about a minute before it would give me the same message. It's been a few days now with the s7 in rice with occasionally checking of it and it won't charge at all now. I'm just wondering what the issue is and if it's able to fixed. I'm also curious about warranty and if it's still eligible and/or will cover the repair costs if needed.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmmm this is interesting. It's possible that some permanent damage was done or it got into the phone itself. Companies are big about blaming users for water damage to water resistant phones. On this one, it likely had water in it for longer than the ip rating allows for and you will likely have to end up paying for the repair in that case. The warranty is good for 12 months.
Goran wrote:

Hmmm this is interesting. It's possible that some permanent damage was done or it got into the ph...

Wow that really sucks :( 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Hmmm this is interesting. It's possible that some permanent damage was done or it got into the ph...

More info on the water rating. The s7 edge is IP68. It is proof against water immersion up to a depth of 1.5metres for 30 minutes. What's interesting is that that doesn't mean it's also protected in the scenarios from 1-5. IPX5 will protect you against water jets like a faucet. Also, these are only done with fresh water, and not salt water. Even though it was for a much longer period of time, it wasn't immersed. So it's very tough to say if it failed or if you put it past its limits.
Goran wrote:

Thank you i appreciate the info 
Userlevel 6
Hey Chantel,
It seem like you have done all the necessary troubleshooting. By the sound of it, it maybe water/moisture damaged. The next step is to bring your phone to a Koodo Shop and send it away for repair. The repair centre technician will analyze if it is indeed water damage and they will send you a quote through email if it is outside the pre-approved repair cost. There will be a loaner phone provided to you. The only thing I would recommend doing before visiting a Koodo Shop is to back up your S7 to a microSD card or through Google Photos.
Do you know if you have the Koodo Phone Protection?
Erwin wrote:

Hey Chantel,
It seem like you have done all the necessary troubleshooting. By the sound of it, it...

I don't believe I do, I was just wondering as I don't have the money to get it repaired currently. I was going to look into investing in a wireless charger for the time being
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Check to make sure that there's no moisture on the actual charging cable connector as well, chances are there is not but worth checking.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Check to make sure that there's no moisture on the actual charging cable connector as well, chanc...

I have tried a few different chargers but thank you nonetheless