Koodo Community

Community

Mobile Payment

Userlevel 1
It's annoying how all the Canadian banks and their mobile payment apps only support a few select devices and carriers, namely the Big 3. Thus, I believe Koodo should take initiative and allow customers to use mobile payment as well. If Google Wallet can work on all devices that have NFC, regardless of carrier, then there's no reason why Koodo can't have mobile payment on devices with NFC.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Joshua,

I totally agree with you, mobile payments are a neat way to pay for things and it's great. That being said, Koodo is always working on new things for their customers. I'm sure Koodo will soon come out with their own mobile payments, only thing we can do is wait for it. 
Great news! If you own an NFC enabled smartphone, as of June 15, 2015 you can purchase an NFC Sim for $5 from any Koodo Shop that will allow you to tap and pay for purchases with your phone where available. For details visit https://www.koodomobile.com/mobilepayment.
Userlevel 1
Lisa_B wrote:

Great news! If you own an NFC enabled smartphone, as of June 15, 2015 you can purchase an NFC Sim...

One problem. How do I transfer my current account to the new SIM? Also, the list of supported devices does not include the Nexus 5. We're I to spend $15 buying the SIM there's no guarantee it would work and refunds aren't accepted on SIMs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa_B wrote:

Great news! If you own an NFC enabled smartphone, as of June 15, 2015 you can purchase an NFC Sim...

True, it's a $5 (not $15) investment you have to be willing to take 🙂 As for your first question, you can change SIM cards easily in self service.
Userlevel 1
Lisa_B wrote:

Aight that's fine. But still. I checked the supported devices and its restrictive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa_B wrote:

Yes, well don't forget it's a brand new service and they need guinea pigs right now (that means you). As for myself, I am double out sadly, because 1) I'm on prepaid and 2) we're using RBC as our bank.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa_B wrote:

You tell me Josh, I cried for hours! Well, I'm just joking, but yes it is infuriating that once again we're left out 😞 I think that eventually, mobile payments are the only way to pay at all but for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid we're still the losers who need to whip out our credit card instead... soooo 2014....
Userlevel 1
Lisa_B wrote:

Here's the thing though. Nowhere does it say that we have to be on a post paid plan. The only 4 requirements are: an NFC-enabled Andrroid or Blackberry device, a compatible credit card, an NFC SIM, and a mobile payment app. That's it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa_B wrote:

As for now there is no NFC SIM yet for Prepaid - as you probably know, Koodo is basically the only provider with a separate SIM card for postpaid and prepaid.