Koodo Community
Question

MMS/Picture - APN Settings / What the hell is the deal with Data Block w/ Pic Msg

I’ve had no use for a mobile data plan for the decade I’ve owned a cell phone but because MMS and Photo messaging has been included in my plan I’ve been using APN setting shared on this website that block out all data usage save for MMS and Pictures. Recently this has stopped working and I’ve made several attempts to get it to work again. Closest I can get is a day or two of functionality before other apps start running up my data usage again (such as Gmail syncing). In my attempts to get it working again, I’ve seen a few people mention the “Data Block with Picture Message” add on for 2$ a month. Why the hell do we have to pay $24 a year to *not use a feature* that we don’t even wish to use?

How is it fair to charge both sides? You want to use data? You have to pay. You don’t want to use data not included in your plan? You also have to pay.

This “feature”, if you can call it that, should be a completely free optional add-on. It’s pretty misleading to advertise free unlimited MMS and Pictures in a plan and require you to pay extra to not get charged for having the settings on that allow MMS and Picture texting to work.

Obviously $2 a month isn’t a whole lot of money, but that shouldn’t change the principal of the matter. It’s like telling someone they can use your boat for free and then charging them if they get it wet.

With all that said… Has anyone had luck with APN settings only allowing MMS and Pictures through on a Motorola One Action? It worked fine for months and stopped recently. If I can’t get it working, I suspect a demanding phone call to Koodo regarding Data Block is in my future.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think the “free MMS” was meant to say that MMS data usage wasn’t counted toward normal data bucket as each photo might use 0.5-2MB cellular data. Those photos messaging were zeroed if users send or receive them.

I agreed that they could give out free data block. But they are a business. They will try to make money wherever possible.  Cellular plans with data included had “free data block” when data limit was reached. 

I think unless you need to buy a phone on Tab, you can switch to prepaid to avoid any accidental data charge and the trouble of APN settings. Regarding the APN settings for MMS only, I don’t think Koodo changed something recently, it could be some issue with the phone settings (especially after an update or a reset of network settings). I would suggest you check the APN in your previous settings and re-enter it.

I think the “free MMS” was meant to say that MMS data usage wasn’t counted toward normal data bucket as each photo might use 0.5-2MB cellular data. Those photos messaging were zeroed if users send or receive them.

I believe that’s the only way to interpret it.

Dinh wrote:

I agreed that they could give out free data block. But they are a business. They will try to make money wherever possible.  Cellular plans with data included had “free data block” when data limit was reached.

I agree with you that obvious businesses want to make money, but there’s a difference in charging for a service or feature and charging to not use a service or feature. If someone has a toll booth setup on a road, they can’t charge you if you don’t want to use their road. It’s practices like this that have a knack of upsetting customers and you shouldn’t underestimate the pettiness of a person who feels they’re being wronged. I’d sooner switch to a more expensive competitor than put myself in a situation where I feel like I’m being taken advantage of.

Dinh wrote:

I think unless you need to buy a phone on Tab, you can switch to prepaid to avoid any accidental data charge and the trouble of APN settings. Regarding the APN settings for MMS only, I don’t think Koodo changed something recently, it could be some issue with the phone settings (especially after an update or a reset of network settings). I would suggest you check the APN in your previous settings and re-enter it.

I’m sure it suddenly not working is a result of a software update. But the fact that they already have this implemented for prepaid phones raises more questions as to why this wouldn’t be a free add-on for regular customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I agree with you that obvious businesses want to make money, but there’s a difference in charging for a service or feature and charging to not use a service or feature. If someone has a toll booth setup on a road, they can’t charge you if you don’t want to use their road. It’s practices like this that have a knack of upsetting customers and you shouldn’t underestimate the pettiness of a person who feels they’re being wronged. I’d sooner switch to a more expensive competitor than put myself in a situation where I feel like I’m being taken advantage of.

“Free MMS” is for all cellular plans, not just specifically for plan without data. I don’t think It is something they targeted you. That happened across all carriers including their competitors unfortunately. Rogers/Fido did it in 2010 https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogersfido-begin-new-data-block-policy/ Competitors aren’t better after all.

The issue is your postpaid plan allowing you to access “payperuse” usages. Prepaid plans doesn’t have those.

Regarding your MMS settings: If possible, can you post a snapshot of your APN settings here? someone might know the reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you block data while allowing MMS by changing your APN so it becomes invalid?  This should still work.

Try resetting your APN and then editing the APN again.