Koodo Community

Community

Migrating from Cyanogenmod on Moto G to Apple SE

Userlevel 1
I am running Cyanogenmod on Moto G, and intend to migrate to an Apple SE.  I hope it is painless, as I have no custom apps, I don't synch email/contacts (or anything) to any cloud.  I use only webmail, and I sync the local phone contacts/appointments with Outlook on my laptop by using AkrutoSync.  This doesn't require an app on the phone, as it emulates an Exchange server on the laptop.  I am expecting to simply use this conduit to dump my Outlook contacts and appointments onto the Apple SE.

The only manual tedium I anticipate is Outlook notes.  Cyanogenmod has calendar & contacts, but no notes, so I've just kept each "note" as a text file.  I maintain counterpart text files on my laptop, and I use unix tools to reconcile them.  In order to do this, connect the Moto G to the USB port and drag the files over to the laptop for comparison.  From my use of an iPod Touch many years ago, I recall that this manual synchronization is not necessary, as the iTunes desktop app will synchronize contacts, calendars, and memos (memos on the Apple device, Outlook notes on the laptop).

Is this a fairly complete picture of what I will need to do once I purchase the Apple SE?  Is anyone aware of any surprises that I haven't anticipated?

Thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is a "move to iOS" app that you'd can use. But yes that should be everything really. Wow I admire the way you do notes. Not a fan of evernotes or something?
Userlevel 1
I just googled the "move to iOS" app and evernotes.  I'd say that apps are out of scope for this effort, as I am eschewing Google Play.  I didn't like the way it took over my whole smartphone just so that I could download a PDF reader.  Took a few evenings to shutdown everything and get what seemed like my own control again.

As for Evernotes, it looks intriguing, but I'm a minimalist.  The closest thing I've come to Evernotes was use of Word or Framemaker to maintain a running lab journal, with captured pictures pasted in.  But no sound files.  These days, I go old school, using unix-based text editors for day-by-day running lab journals.  If I need an image (or any kind of binary audio/video), I encoded it as text and paste it into the text journal, along with the compound command to bring it up again as as a media file.  It does add bloat to the text file, so I mostly capture text narrations of the observations of the media instead.  Most of the time, that's the important bit -- the "intelligence", so to speak.

I wouldn't advise this for people today.  It's more a legacy of being entrenched with the old ways of doing things, with one's hands deeply into the weeds, so to speak.

Thanks for confirming that I likely don't have any blind spots in my plan to migrate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you do come across anything you werent expecting feel free to come back here and we can try our best to help!
Userlevel 1
Actually, some clarification in my picture of things did occur to me.  I described syncing with iTunes desktop app in the past.  However, googling shows that iTunes no longer syncs with Outlook (or perhaps it does, but perhaps over the cloud).  This wasn't all that clear in my original post, partly because I had forgotten that fact over the years.  Because the iTunes desktop app no longer syncs with Outlook, AkrutoSync will be an essential element in my cloudless syncing of devices, which is centred around the laptop (in particular, running Outlook).  So the only tedium will be to convert all my text file memos into Outlook notes for syncing, which isn't tedious at all.
Userlevel 6
@andymhancock I ditched Evernote for SimpleNote. Not sure whether it's available for iOS but likely is. It's feature-rich, way less overhead and doesn't feel commercialized like Evernote. Highly recommended.
Looks like you've already found a solution with AkrutoSync. I'm surprised you'd go from a CyanogenMod Moto device to the iPhone SE. You're going from the most customizable to the least customizable smartphone ecosystem, but as you said, doesn't seem to be an issue for you.
Enjoy the iPhone SE 😃
Userlevel 1
If I ever need something more elaborate that text notes, I'll give SimpleNote a look.  Thanks.

I jumped the Android ship for pragmatic reasons.  The 3rd party open source Cyanogenmod is highly fragmented. I never got a milestone release for my particular device.  One may have come out, but I stopped upgrading when I found I had to upgrade the bootloader to upgrade the OS. This was after Motorola's cellphone arm was sold to overseas interests that don't have a good track record for cyber citizenry, or for that matter, other rules that we take for granted.  The alternative of going with a carrier-customized Android OS was not much more appealing.  [i] I also didn't like the way that google play totally rewired my phone.  It's basically a meta OS, which makes it of questionable value to bust one's jewels to install a 3rd party open source variation of Android.

My problem now is exactly as you said -- design tyranny in the iPhone SE.  They have decided not to provide FM radio on iPhones, and I was prepared to live with that by sucking up the extra data needed for streaming NPR.  However, I'm finding that there is no way to hide the time in the status bar or the lock screen without jailbreaking.  This could be a deal breaker.  I really don't care about voiding the warranty, I'm more concerned with whether jailbreaking makes it hard or impossible to keep up-to-date with the OS.  Would you be able to comment?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
andymhancock wrote:

If I ever need something more elaborate that text notes, I'll give SimpleNote a look.  Thank...

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/does-jailbreaking-iphone-hinder-keeping-the-os-up-to-date?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bpage%5D=1#reply_18850391
Userlevel 1
andymhancock wrote:

If I ever need something more elaborate that text notes, I'll give SimpleNote a look.  Thank...

Thank you Allan.  I will comment on that thread.