Koodo Community

Community

Solved

"media server" severely draining battery

last night, I fully charged my moto g. 9 hours later, I find my battery has been depleted to 50%. i checked my battery use under the settings tab and it shows that "media server" is using 75% of my battery. what is media server, and how can I get rid of it?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Usually this will happen if you have a lot of movies or music files and some or all of them are incomplete or corrupted. Try checking your download or music folders for files that won't play and delete them. Media server is probably getting hung up on a corrupt file or two. I'm sure someone else will chime in as well with more tips
Chad Burr wrote:

Usually this will happen if you have a lot of movies or music files and some or all of them are i...

I currently have no video/ audio files on my phone
Userlevel 7
Click on media server and then it should say app info or go to app. You can force stop it from there.
Jonathan I wrote:

Click on media server and then it should say app info or go to app. You can force stop it from th...

media server isn't an app though
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Click on media server and then it should say app info or go to app. You can force stop it from th...

An app may be causing media server to hang. Check the link below
Userlevel 7
Go here and check out Adam Foley tutorial on how to find out which app is causing this . https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/kZ_fljqFIok
I've tried using the method of closing one process at a time and its proving ineffective. I've also tried optimizing my phone with AVG but that doesn't seem to work either
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jason Wang wrote:

I've tried using the method of closing one process at a time and its proving ineffective. I've al...

Are you force closing each app in the app manager settings or are you just swiping the apps away in the recent apps list?
I get this from my Nexus 4 occasionally - usually after using some sort of media (Songza, for me). Go into your battery settings, and close all music related apps once your finished with them (for example I touch on Songza, then "force stop"). It is a known issue, and we can only hope that Google fixes this soon.
Jeff Bastien wrote:

I get this from my Nexus 4 occasionally - usually after using some sort of media (Songza, for me)...

I stopped Google play music (no music on it though) but it hasn't changed anything
Jeff Bastien wrote:

I get this from my Nexus 4 occasionally - usually after using some sort of media (Songza, for me)...

The only other suggestion I have is to disable Google Play Music (you can re-enable, but you'll have to access the settings). If you want to give that a shot, go to settings < apps < all < Google Play Music, and then hit 'disable'. Just a note that this will remove it from the app drawer, so the settings is the only place to re-enable it (you can't fully uninstall it because it needs to be there just in case a factory reset is performed). The up-side to disabling it is that it will not be able to be activated while disabled, so it can't use the mediaserver anymore.