Koodo Community

Looking for a rugged phone

I wish that koodo had rugged phones like the Cat S40 that Eastlink provider seems to have. This phone seems so much up my alley. I don't want a big screen phone or have to buy the extra accessories for a phone to have that "somewhat" of rugged look when it really isnt. I love koodo's service but your limited phone options really suck. I have a plan that suits me and the bill goes with my budget. But I don't have the option of getting the phone I really want. And if I go to another provider, I have to pay $40-50 more a month....Grrrr Listen up Koodo, you do have customers who want or like the rugged phones!! You need to have rugged phones!!!!

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Carrie,

Rugged phones aren't highly popular, they are really targeted towards a very specific clientele which is not the traditional Koodo customer. That being said, you can get any tough phone you want and bring it over to Koodo if you want!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm almost positive your not alone on that thought. They could even go half way and get like the s5/s6/s7 active which are rugged enough. That would bring a few more customers I'm sure. This may not help but, you can always buy whatever phone u like, unlock it and bring it over to Koodo. However that means u must pay full price upfront and unlocking fees.
Chadwick wrote:

I'm almost positive your not alone on that thought. They could even go half way and get like the ...

Thanks 🙂 but it just sucks if I want a certain phone type that I need to pay it up front and bring it over to koodo. If I could afford the extra $40-50 more on the phone bill I would just leave koodo and go with the other provider. Be cheaper than paying full price of the phone I want to bring it over to Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Chadwick wrote:

I'm almost positive your not alone on that thought. They could even go half way and get like the ...

Except you would be paying a lot more every month, even after you paid the phone! Bringing in your own phone lets you keep a low rate without ridiculous charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Yes the only downfall is buying it outright. But u can save over the long run. If u go to bell or telus once the phone is paid off value wise, your bill never gets cheaper and u end up paying way more over the long run.
Chadwick wrote:

Koodo has the best prices and services . Yeah you can find a tiny bit cheaper but the service SUCKS
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

It's not always worth the trade off. And if Koodo did carry it you would still b paying full price. The tab doe not have a subsidy unless there's a sale or it's maybe 50 or less cheaper than buying outright.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Its absolutely worth the trade off. With any other company, u keep paying for the device over the length of ur " contract" and forever more if u stay with whomever. After 24 months with Koodo u only pay for your plan, as you know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

I was referring to not always worth the trade off being switching to a company that does have subsidised tabs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

My apologies Goran. I was reading up a bit. Respectfully retracting my statement 🙂 lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Haha, no worries Chadwick ! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Try wagging the tail and not the dog. Amazon has some seriously rugged phone cases without breaking the bank, changing your current gear or plan.

Cat gear IMHO is very highly overrated. Think Trump...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Try wagging the tail and not the dog. Amazon has some seriously rugged phone cases without breaki...

It depends on just how much protection you require. There's ones made by Sonim that cost three times more than the Cat S40 but really can handle anything thrown at it, and have a 3 year total replacement warranty for any reason. Moblesyrup reported Bell offering a  1700 dollar Sonim XP7 that is practically indestructible, including fire resistant. But more than that it is certified for use in areas with flammable gases and explosive materials. Obviously no case can give a phone that kind of certification. One commentor was a seller of Otter box cases that would use his phone to showcase how well they worked whenh demoing by whipping it at cement floors and such. He said one day he wanted to show his friends and he merely dropped it on the floor and the screen just shattered. Sometimes it's worth it if you need your phone to handle anything, but I think more people overestimate the ruggedness they really need at the same time.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Try wagging the tail and not the dog. Amazon has some seriously rugged phone cases without breaki...

My grand daughter has gone through so many phones get the case for proyrction it is worth it
Userlevel 4
If you really want it, you can buy the Cat S40 unlocked on Amazon. Check this out.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cat+s40&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=7...