Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Long distance charge - texting and calling

I live in toronto and work in Hamilton. I recently switched to Koodo with the post plan of $50(Canada wide Data plan). My question is sometimes whenever I tried to call from Hamilton to Toronto, it says long distance charge will apply..... when in fact the plan is canada wide calling. My work location is Bay and King st, Hamilton. Also, One of the text msg shows that I texted USA, when I never did. Why is it so. Btw I am using a Samsung Galaxy III (not that it would matter but just wanted to mention it here). Will I be charged extra for these? I am a new customer and doubting about switching to Koodo now. Would really appreciate your output. FYI : From one previous link, in order to correct the problem, I will have to put 1 in front of the number but I am just wondering if there is a better solution and also worried for the charges

16 replies

hi do not take into consideration this message since you have canada-wide plan just this message will be deleted from the system as soon as all the customers will be upgraded to canadawide plan good luck
Userlevel 2
capricorn wrote:

hi do not take into consideration this message since you have canada-wide plan just this messag...

Hey Capricorn, we appreciate your efforts, but please refrain from making such statements unless they are officially announced. This message is set in place by every provider as it's required by law(I believe). ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
capricorn wrote:

hi do not take into consideration this message since you have canada-wide plan just this messag...

ok I am confused now... So Myke since you are a koodo employee, can you please shed some light regarding my question then? thx
Userlevel 2
capricorn wrote:

Can you rephrase it so I have a better understsanding of it? ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
capricorn wrote:

1. why do I get a message that's it's a long distance call whenever I call from Hamilton to Toronto when I have a canada wide Data plan? 2. Will I be charged extra for these? 3. How to get rid of the message? 4.lastly can I ignore the msg as Capricorn mentioned earlier?
Userlevel 2
capricorn wrote:

It's an automated message that's programmed into the phone system. There isn't a way to really avoid this but since you have a Canada Wide plan, just ignore the message as it won't apply to you. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
capricorn wrote:

thx
Userlevel 7
capricorn wrote:

MykeC, if you dial a one would that not avoid it?
Userlevel 7
You're getting this message because you're not dialing a one, the system has no idea what plan you are on at the time of the call. There will not be any additional charges for using this method. By dialing the one, you're telling the system that you are aware you are making a potential long distance call. It's basically there for those whom do not have Canada Wide Plans. Depending on what phone you have you may be able to set it up to auto prepend the one onto each number in case you forget or don't want to save them that way. Since you're on android check under phone>call settings. I think it's there.
Thank you to both of u (Capricorn & Chad) for your output. Do you have any idea about the one text that mentions I texted USA when I did not?
Userlevel 7
Pallavi J wrote:

Thank you to both of u (Capricorn & Chad) for your output. Do you have any idea about the on...

Is it possible you did accidentally ? Anyway you're not charged for international r texting.
Pallavi J wrote:

Thank you to both of u (Capricorn & Chad) for your output. Do you have any idea about the on...

To be honest, the possibility is here 🙂 but as you said I should not be charged for international texting given the plan that I have.
Userlevel 7
Pallavi J wrote:

Enjoy your phone and if you have any other issues the community is here 24/7
Pallavi J wrote:

I too am having the same problem. Sure if we go ahead with the call without adding the +1 we wont be charged?? Pls help
Userlevel 7
Pallavi J wrote:

Read everything above
Userlevel 4
Pallavi J wrote:

If you are calling within Canada, you do not have to worry about long distance charges as long as your plan is a Canada wide plan. Adding the 1 or not, as long as the call goes through and it is a Canadian number, you are good to go.