Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Locked out of Nexus 5 - Screen lock PIN unknown

Wife's phone suddenly has a locked screen. She had never used a password before. She has about 1000 pics and videos that absolutely must be recovered, so factory reset is not an option. Can someone give me advice as to who to contact about getting the photos/videos at least pulled from the device? I am assuming it is impossible to reset the password remotely either koodo or google android. These are very important personal files we need to recover. Please help.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Head over to photos.google.com and log into her Gmail account. Assuming the phone was set to backup, you may find all her photos sitting on Google servers. Then you can reset her device with confidence
that was the first thing I did.. she did not use that to backup her stuff. There is software out there that says it can remove the screen lock and access the files, but I dont know if that is even possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gorilla wrote:

that was the first thing I did.. she did not use that to backup her stuff. There is software out ...

I really don't think it's possible anymore with the way Google is doing things with the newest versions of Android 6.0 & 7.0 in which they bumped up security, it would defeat the purpose of the lockscreen and extra security layer they've added completely.
Gorilla wrote:

that was the first thing I did.. she did not use that to backup her stuff. There is software out ...

This is ridiculous. Its like someone remotely set the lock screen 
Userlevel 7
Gorilla wrote:

Is it asking for a PUK code?
Gorilla wrote:

its just a screen with a line to enter a password and says emergency below that. I used Android device manager through google account to try and reset the password but it simply locked it and gives option to call the phone owner.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gorilla wrote:

Or not remotely. Has a prankster had access to her phone?

Gorilla wrote:

no.
Userlevel 7
Gorilla wrote:

What happens if you enter the wrong passwords
Gorilla wrote:

After 5 attempts it locks for 30 seconds.

A data recovery company says they can recover all the data even if the device doesn't power on at all. They should be able to do this, but they want $1000
Gorilla wrote:

Go online, find the Nexus Toolkit, it may allow you to access the phone and retrieve the files, also you may root the phone for more convenient usage... :) 
Gorilla wrote:

I will try this but it seems that USB debugging needs to be turned on. If that was turned on, I wouldn't be in this mess 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gorilla wrote:

Well, if this is a Google account-related PIN, and not the PUK code that's being requested, I would suggest that you contact someone at Google's support and explain the situation to them. Perhaps they have a way of verifying your identity and helping you unlock it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gorilla wrote:

Well, if this is a Google account-related PIN, and not the PUK code that's being requested, I would suggest that you contact someone at Google's support and explain the situation to them. Perhaps they have a way of verifying your identity and helping you unlock it.