Koodo Community

Community

LGG5 gets hot when charging

Out of the blue yesterday while charging, the area around the charging port of my LGG5 started to get extremely hot and smelled of burning, so I unplugged it.

It also didn't indicate that my phone was charging at all, despite being plugged in. I tried a different cord and USB charger and had the same issue.

I've removed the battery, my SIM card and restarted the phone - same issue.

The other baffling thing is that it doesn't do it every time I plug in my phone to charge, it's plugged in and charging right now without any problem at all.

But in the last 24 hours, it's gotten extremely hot and smells like burning 4-6 times when plugging my phone in to charge. 

Any ideas what I can do?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you using the original charger?
Robert wrote:

Are you using the original charger?

Yep, using the original charger.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would suggest you contact LG and ask them.

As the phone gets too hot, this is a matter of personal safety. I don't think any manufacturers would design phone to work in that conditions.
Dinh wrote:

As the phone gets too hot, this is a matter of per...

I did contact LG and they suggested I either return the phone to them, but I wouldn't get a loaner phone. Or contact Koodo to see if I could have it repaired and get a loaner phone.

I thought I'd try here before going back to my Koodo retailer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I don't know if Koodo still have the policy of loaner phone, but you could try to ask the location you got phone previously.
Dinh wrote:

There must be something wrong in the hardware, you can do a free diagnostic test at fonelab.
Dinh wrote:

I can confirm that this happens more than a little bit with the G5. Ive noticed it a few times while charging, all factory accessories