Koodo Community
Solved

LG Phones - Stopped manufacturing

I just bought a new phone and it is an LG.  LG is no longer manufacturing. 

I bought it 2 days ago and found out the news today

• What exactly does that mean for me?
  • Will I still get service for the next 3 years?
  • Should I switch to a Samsung instead?
  • Is the manufactures warranty good for 3 years?
  • My new phone came with no SIM card
  • My answering machine is terrible, the voices are really choppy, will a new sim card and a new phone fix this?

Any help appreciated.  I am nervous to keep this phone.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Dinh 7 April 2021, 06:26

• Unless you bought extra warranty, manufactures only provide 1 year warranty (Apple, Samsung included). There is no 3 year warranty out of the box.
  • They mentioned they would continue to provide support and service for current models https://www.techradar.com/news/lg-has-officially-quit-making-phones-heres-whats-next
  • Regarding the SIM card, can you check if there is a SIM included in the shipping box? It should be there. You could also use the old SIM in the new phone if the old SIM fits.
  • I am not sure about the question of answering machine replacement? A cellphone isn’t meant to be used as an answering machine. You might find it cheaper if you get a new answering machine from a local store.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  • Unless you bought extra warranty, manufactures only provide 1 year warranty (Apple, Samsung included). There is no 3 year warranty out of the box.
  • They mentioned they would continue to provide support and service for current models https://www.techradar.com/news/lg-has-officially-quit-making-phones-heres-whats-next
  • Regarding the SIM card, can you check if there is a SIM included in the shipping box? It should be there. You could also use the old SIM in the new phone if the old SIM fits.
  • I am not sure about the question of answering machine replacement? A cellphone isn’t meant to be used as an answering machine. You might find it cheaper if you get a new answering machine from a local store.

Thank you Dinh for your reply.  I am going to go to the store for assistance.

You are correct, it was 1 year however my credit card has an extended warranty for an extra year. 

I did see that article but it is still scary buying a brand new phone and 2 days later it is announced, they are not longer in business making LG phones. 

There was NO SIM card in the box, I was very surprised and so was the agent, hence why I need to go to a store outlet.

Yes my old sim card does fit in my new phone however, the issue is the same.  My voicemail (not answering machine) is still choppy with my new phone so now that I tried a new phone with my old sim card, they know now it must be my sim card. 

Stay tuned, I will be getting my phone fixed hopefully tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are worried, you could always return the phone to Koodo (within 30days) and get another phone. As the news was just out, Koodo and other might know the exact impact of it. Anyway, LG  is selling their cell phone business to other companes (they are not bankrupted) so they should still have cash to cover all the warranty and service as promised.

Regarding the SIM card, if you could get a new SIM from a store and change it, it would be great.

Regarding the voicemail issue, there were 1,2 reports on the issue  recently in the forum, I am not sure if that was caused by the SIM or a technical glitch from Koodo. If it  persists after you change your SIM, I would suggest you contact Koodo again and ask a technical rep to look into it.