Koodo Community
Question

Lg G7 One - radio not working

Hi, does anyone know why the FM radio in my G7 One does not work.
the FM radio application starts but even after plugging in my headset, t\no radio stations can be scanned.

I called LG who said that Kood has to activate the FM radio withing the phone

Does this make any sense ?

Louis

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah it does make sense, Koodo needs to activate it. Not sure it'll happen though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Athough Koodo does have it enabled on certain devices. I still havent been able to figure out if it is carrier or manufacturer blocked.
It doesnt make sense for koodo to block some phones and not others and it doesn't make sense for manufacturers to block it for no reason so who knows honestly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There has really been no recent movement on this
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fm-radio-cellphone-telecoms-1.3577447

You would think Radio STations would be pushing this harder
Calling koodo now to ask for activation of fm radio
Koodo said they have not disabled the fm radio and to call LG once again
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Let us know what LG says. You can always claim it is a warranty issue
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

@Dennis would this be considered a manufacturing defect? I'm not so sure?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
srlawren wrote:

Dennis wrote:

Manufacturer and carrier both say they are not blocking it, meaning it must work. But it no work. Warranty! So Koodo has to process it and LG has to pay for it. At least until someone says it's them
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Manufacturer and carrier both say they are not blocking it, meaning it must work. But it no work. Warranty! So Koodo has to process it and LG has to pay for it. At least until someone says it's them

@Dennis I guess one could try. In Koodo's defence, they don't actually mention the FM radio at all on the G7 One page, that I can see: https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/lg-g7-one. I would think they would argue they never promised an FM radio with this model. LG might be another story but in the end I'm sure they'll both keep passing the buck back and forth.

As an aside:
I wonder if anyone has thought of this as a possible reason for manufacturers systematically killing off the headphone port? The FM radios rely on a plugged in headphone wire to act as an antenna. If manufacturers remove the headphone port, the FM antenna isn't possible, and thus they can drop the feature. I wonder if the carriers have pressured them in this direction, to force people to stream more and use more mobile data which brings the carriers more money? Probably wearing my tin foil hat a bit too tightly at the moment, but hey it's possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some collusion is likely possible but probably with larger wireless carriers that operate in multiple countries like Vodafone, Orange, and Telefonica.
Badge +4
LG Canada lists the LG G7 One as having FM radio.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LMQ910UM-g7-one (see Tech Specs > Additional Specifications > Sound).

I second the warranty claim.
Userlevel 6
rikkster wrote:

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LMQ910UM-g7-one (see Tech Specs > Additional Specifications > Sound).

If the device was purchased directly from LG, I'd agree. But it's generally understood that devices purchased through carriers are often modified. I think in this case, the feature list on the carrier's page takes precedent. As an even more extreme example, the T-Mobile version of the OnePlus 6T is a single-SIM phone, while the ones ordered directly from OnePlus are dual-SIM. Would it be a warranty claim if I bought one through T-Mo and realized it was missing the feature of the extra SIM? Probably not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
srlawren wrote:

rikkster wrote:

If the device was purchased directly from LG, I'd agree. But it's generally understood that devices purchased through carriers are often modified. I think in this case, the feature list on the carrier's page takes precedent. As an even more extreme example, the T-Mobile version of the OnePlus 6T is a single-SIM phone, while the ones ordered directly from OnePlus are dual-SIM. Would it be a warranty claim if I bought one through T-Mo and realized it was missing the feature of the extra SIM? Probably not.

What does it say on the box and in the manual for the phone?
I re-tested the fm radio after calling into Koodo, from my work location, instead of my house and now it works. The reception is not great, but I was able to get 3 x local Toronto stations.

So it looks to be working at this time.
No idea if koodo support did any activation (and did not tell me) or the reception at my house was really bad the day I initially tried it.

Thanks everyone for your help

Louis
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
loumar wrote:

I re-tested the fm radio after calling into Koodo, from my work location, instead of my house and now it works. The reception is not great, but I was able to get 3 x local Toronto stations.

So it looks to be working at this time.
No idea if koodo support did any activation (and did not tell me) or the reception at my house was really bad the day I initially tried it.

Thanks everyone for your help

Louis

As @srlawren said above, the antenna is routed through the plugged in headphones. It may also be an issue with your headphones so try different ones to see if they improve the reception.