Koodo Community

LG G6 Battery Drain

Question: My wife has an LG G6 that was purchased in May of 2017. Recently, the battery drain has been incredible. There are two main culprits: Google Play Services and Phone Idle. I have looked up fixes for these common issue but no luck. She was at 30% from a full charge in just over 3 hours this morning. That included less than half hour of screen on time... If a factory reset does not do the trick how do we go about exchanging it for a new one since we are still int he warranty period. 

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
An exchange might not do much as it was a great phone when it first came out but after updating the software I found battery life getting worse and worse which sucks because its a great phone otherwise and actually one of my favorites I've ever had. You can bring it to a Koodo kiosk and they can send it away to be looked at but I think it's LG's software being rushed while they work on Android oreo.
An exchange might not do much as it was a great phone when it first came out but after updating t...Totally agree.. I did find if u turn your screen saver off and your screen brightness down helps battery time. Plus turn your phone off at least twice a month for six hrs helps. U have to remember that battery is running 24/7. Look at it this way. If u left your car running 24/7 eventually it is going to need gas and oil plus a break. I know this sounds crazy however inanimate things need a break too
Makes sense. The battery life used to be great - are you finding Google Play Services or Phone Idle a big drainer? I have no idea why phone idle would hog 20-30% of battery life...
Userlevel 4
I was thinking of getting the Lgg6 do you think lg will send a software update to fix this problem in the near future thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I was thinking of getting the Lgg6 do you think lg will send a software update to fix this proble...I'd probably direct your questions about battery life to LG on their socials like FB or Twitter and see if they are aware of the issue and going to address it when they update to Oreo, I just know when I first got it the standby time wasn't as bad as its gotten over the life of it after updates.
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.Sometimes when freshly installing an update, the battery drain might be higher. If after 1-week the problem is still the same, then it might be something else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.@Den,
I would charge the battery to full and let it drain, after 1,2 battery cycle, you could check into Settings --> Battery. From there, you will see which app/service consume the most out of your battery.
Userlevel 4
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.Does anybody know if LG resolved the battery drain on the Lgg6 was thinking of getting this phone but not if there any problems with the battery drain what would be a good phone with a good cameras for taking pictures and videos and with WiFi calling on the Android phones and the same price range of the g6 i have a great phone the lgg4 hate to pay over $500 just to get the WiFi calling that's all i need on my lgg4 and i am happy
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.I think you should ask on another forum as XDA developer since you'll get more answers then here.
Userlevel 4
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.What's the link
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.@dinh thanks going to try that, but so far the battery drain seems to be from go to the Android system 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.That's the link : https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g6

Q&A forum : https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g6/help
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.Contacted LG canada and stopped at Koodo kiosk, both recommended factory reset.
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.I factory reset and battery drain is gone, still a hassle though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have noticed this recently on my G6 and it was shortly after a software update pushed down.@Den: good to know, at least we knew where the problem was from.
Userlevel 4
Does anyone know if they got the battery drain resolved on the Lgg6 yet or is it still a problem on that phone thinking of buying it only if the battery drain is fixed thanks
Badge +4
Does anyone know if they got the battery drain resolved on the Lgg6 yet or is it still a problem on that phone thinking of buying it only if the battery drain is fixed thanks
I haven't seen an official fix from LG put out or if LG has even acknowledged that there is a problem. A Google search does have alot of users complaining about it.