Koodo Community

Community

Solved

LG G4 - VoLte - Update ??

Have an LG G4 (H812). Used to have setting for VoLte in "Call" menu. Don't know if network was set for it but people noticed iimproved call quality after I switched it on. After system update I had complaints about my call quality/clarity. I was calling a landline at the time so it wasn't their signal issue. Thought update might have reset VoLte but when I went into the menu it was gone. The VoLte option had been removed completly from the menu. A 53 minute call to Koodo and I was told it was only installed on a trial/test basis and recently removed. Now my call quality is suffering. Any suggestions on improving call quality without extra cost? Been with Koodo forever and love their customer service but done want to have to switch to get current tech. Not happy that I had it and then it was gone....

38 replies

Userlevel 3
If you are familiar with flashing ROMs, try finding the previous update and flash. So VoLTE only depends on the phone's software and is already enabled on Koodo's network?
Userlevel 6
Not Jean-Pierre Blais wrote:

If you are familiar with flashing ROMs, try finding the previous update and flash. So VoLTE on...

@Not Jean-Pierre Blais: OP has an LG G4, can't unlock bootloader on Canadian variant...meaning no dice on ROM's.
VoLTE depends on both device and carrier. I don't think Koodo supports VoLTE yet.
Telus has it in select regions, but I can't find any info confirming it working on Koodo.

If you are familiar with flashing ROMs, try finding the previous update and flash. So VoLTE on...

Apparently Koodo was running a "trial". Was more irritated that I had it and then it was gone. It was on the phone menu and was able to be activated. Turned it on and it stayed on. It"s like getting a TV channel package and after a few months losing HD for SD because you weren't informed that the HD was just a trial.
Userlevel 6

You can flash any H12 ROM from any Canadian carrier, however, it would most likely disable VoLTE again when it switches to Koodo CSC.

Probably. With my luck I would brick my phone. Disable is one thing but to remove it completely.......
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't believe Koodo uses VoLte yet but it is coming in the near, (using the word near lightly) future.
The impression I was given from my call with Koodo was that they were trying VoLte as a test/trial. That was why I was able to activate it on the G4. What I don't understand is how they can remove the option from a phone equipped with it. Not enable it to turn on is one thing but remove it from the menu??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Doctor61 wrote:

The impression I was given from my call with Koodo was that they were trying VoLte as a test/tri...

There's lots of examples of that in phonedom. Frequently, if an option is totally unavailable, it is not presented in the interface. Prevents users trying to make it work.
Userlevel 4
Doctor61 wrote:

The impression I was given from my call with Koodo was that they were trying VoLte as a test/tri...

If you try it you will love it and never want to loose it. Thanks that so many Koodo users didn't try it and don't no its value. It could be addictive and addiction is not a good thing I believe.
Doctor61 wrote:

I agree. The call clarity was amazing. I want it back... Withdrawal is setting in.
Userlevel 4
Doctor61 wrote:

Shit my phone just updated and i lost the volte option on my phone was this done by koodo or Google i would have been set out when koodo rolled out the volte wifi calling they probably did that for people to buy new cellphones when volte is available i just Google it people said is you reboot your phone or something it came back don't want to take the chance if anyone knows what happening please post what let us know thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Doctor61 wrote:

I'm sorry it's difficult to keep up without punctuation please try to include some. Unless you bought a Koodo phone, that wouldn't even be possible. Koodo I guess as the rest have said has added the option as a trial run in certain phones and has since removed it. It'll be back soon I imagine once testing is done. A reboot isn't going to kill the option. What phone do you have and what update did you get?
Userlevel 4
Doctor61 wrote:

Hope it will be back i have the lgg4 not sure what update i have just as long as i don't have to buy a new cellphone when it comes back to get volte wifi calling just got this new phone about 8 months ago thanks for the reply Goran
Userlevel 6
Doctor61 wrote:

Your. Lack. Of. Punctuation. Makes. My. Head. Hurt.
Let me know how you make out. As you can tell from my previous posts I think were screwed, at least for now.
Userlevel 4
Doctor61 wrote:

Let me know how you make out. As you can tell from my previous posts I think were screwed, at lea...

No one is screwed here actually you are lucky to be chosen for Volte testing. In fact if it appeared on your phone it means that your phone is definitely compatible with Volte. 

The good news is that Telus is testing it on Koodo users. 

Probably with some upgrade in the future it will be available on more handsets  as long as they are compatible with Volte.
Didn't think of it like that. Thanks for the positive spin. Glass half full........
Userlevel 4
Reply i had from koodo Greetings Lloyd, and thanks for getting in touch! Please note that VoLTE is note officially available yet. Our parent company (Telus) recently released it but it's not available yet with Koodo. If you saw it on your LG G4, it's most likely because it was a trial or experimental phases. You can keep an eye on the Koodo Community for updates )so i hope koodo will bring it back soon and get it up and running
Userlevel 4
I just saw on another site that telus rolled out volte wifi calling in almost all ont and hope Quebec will be next and i see difference brand of phones like the lg phones hope koodo will fellow soon with the volte question when it's available what does a person have to do to get connected does telus and koodo give you a code to use this service when available where i work we have gusts coming in all the time where we have very poor cellphone single would they be able to use the volte wifi calling or would they need a code also thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

I just saw on another site that telus rolled out volte wifi calling in almost all ont and hope Qu...

VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are two totally different aspects of calling. To my knowledge, Wi-Fi calling is only available to Telus subscribers with iPhones, and is not currently broadly available to other phones. VoLTE on the other hand is available on iPhone, some LG, and Samsung S6, in BC, AB, MB and ON.

While Wi-Fi calling may well be valuable in an area with limited or no cellular service, all VoLTE does is move the voice portion of your phone use into the LTE data stream, rather than a specific voice circuit as is currently the case.  It turns your voice call into a series of data packets.
To fix this calling quality issue open the Phone app, tap on the Menu button (3 small dots) displayed at the top right corner of your screen and select Call Settings. Scroll to the Outgoing Calls section and enable the following options Noise Suppression and Voice Clarity, by ticking the corresponding checkboxes.Both of these features have been designed to optimize call quality when using your phone in noisy environments. The Noise Suppression feature suppresses background noise on your end which can help your interlocutor to better hear you. As for the Voice Clarity option, it can help to improve the voice quality when performing hands-free calls in noisy environments or vehicle. For more details check LG G4 Manual. 
The noted options were already selected but thanks for the suggestions. I just would like the VoLte option back.
Userlevel 4
Doctor61 wrote:

The noted options were already selected but thanks for the suggestions. I just would like the VoL...

Doctor61 I have Galaxy s4 almost dying but I don't want to change it until VoLte will be fully running in Ontario and on Koodo. Then I will buy compatible phone.

Unfortunately Telus is very slow in implementing VoLte on its network in some places.
Userlevel 4
Doctor61 wrote:

The noted options were already selected but thanks for the suggestions. I just would like the VoL...

Before Telus implement VoLte  Rogers will probably come up with something more advanced and under different name.
Doctor61 wrote:

And charge 3 times what it's worth and give half assed support for it. LOL..