Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Lg g4 freezing and restarting

Hey I've had my LG G4 for just over two months now and it's having issues. No matter what I'm doing it will randomly freeze and crash then restart back up again. One time it did it three times with in 10 minutes. I have tried the battery and sim pull, the soft reset, and even a hard reset plus checked that my apps and phone are up to date. Thoughts on how to proceed? It seems to be getting more frequent.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When you preform a factory reset do you restore your phone exactly how you had it including downloading all the same apps? If so try doing a factory reset and starting fresh and installing a few basic apps and see if the problem persists, if not it could very well be a specific app isn't playing nice with the device and you might have to wait for an update to that app to install it again.
Badge +4
Another option, try wiping the app cache or cache partition. The first method targets apps that reside on your phone and can be launched within the Android environment by going to: Settings > General (if in tabbed view) > Storage - locate and tap ‘Cached Data’. Tap OK and reboot the LG G4. This is a low level solution when dealing with a buggy app, for example. Booting into Safe mode is another option, more on that later. If the problem affects the overall operation of the phone, the second method targets the cache partition which under normal operation, allows the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently. A periodic wipe of the cache partition helps to keep the system running smoothly and may rule out a hardware problem. Below is a link to a video that shows how to get into Recovery mode to wipe the cache partition. Note: You won't lose anything on your phone by wiping the cache partition, though the phone may start a little slower as it rebuilds the app cache. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4LorCj9j3s Booting into Safe mode puts your phone in a diagnostic state (returned to default settings) so you can determine if a third-party app is causing your device to freeze, reset or run slow. Safe mode temporarily disables all apps installed from the Google Play Store and should always be performed before a hard (factory) reset. Ensure the device is powered off. 1.Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button until the System recovery screen is displayed then release both buttons. 2.Use the Volume buttons to scroll through and highlight the option, then press the Power button to select Safe mode. The device starts up with Safe mode displayed in the lower left corner of the screen. With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality as follows: Make and receive calls Send and receive text messages Browse the internet Use apps that are present on the phone If the issue goes away in Safe Mode, an installed app most likely caused the issue. To determine the problem app, restart the device to exit Safe Mode. One by one, uninstall any recently installed apps. After each removal, restart the device in normal mode and re-test see if removing that app resolved the issue. After removal of the problem app, all other apps may be reinstalled.
I removed a few apps and added a task killer which seemed to help. The freezing and restarting only happened once or twice a day. However now my phone has stopped powering on. I get no response from it when I hold the power button or try to boot it in safe mood. Its also not responding to being plugged in and has been on the charger for over an hour with no reaction from it. Not even the charging light is coming on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jordan Daniels wrote:

I removed a few apps and added a task killer which seemed to help. The freezing and restarting o...

Looks like it is time to go to a Koodo shop and ask they help you start a warranty claim!

Badge +4
Jordan Daniels wrote:

I removed a few apps and added a task killer which seemed to help. The freezing and restarting o...

It's possible the battery may be at fault. Is there any heat coming from the back of the phone while it's plugged in? Do you recall having to charge the phone more often than usual to get through the day? Have you tried a different USB cable, or tried using the supplied wall charger or a different USB port on your computer?
Jordan Daniels wrote:

There is a faint warmth and I plugged my old phone into the charger to make sure it was working and it was so I know its not the charger. No I didnt need to charge the phone 3xtra. It actually had very good battery life.
Badge +4
Jordan Daniels wrote:

I'm all out of ideas. The freezing and restarting might have been a precursor to the device failing altogether and sounds more like a hardware problem. I think you'll have to follow David's suggestion.
Jordan Daniels wrote:

I had the same problem before with my LG G3. It seems it is because of the current android version because when marshmallow update came and I update it right away,freezing and restarting stopped. But I think my battery suffered because of frequent restarting and it malfunctioned. I went to koodo kiosk and unfortunately, the staff always keep saying that they will call me when they got the battery for replacement. Sadly I waited for few months trying to call them again and again to remind them until my warranty is due and I cannot get a new one. Very bad experience.
Badge +4
Jordan Daniels wrote:

Which Koodo kiosk did you visit, Kristine? Official reps here might be able to do a follow up. The battery is warranted from defect for one year from the manufacturer. Edit: read that the warranty had expired. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. In future, if you think you're getting the runaround, voice your concern here. We might have been able to help you get the battery sooner or find out why the kiosk couldn't get you a battery.
I went to Koodo kiosk at Polo park, Winnipeg. Well, i called them several times to follow up and I get frustrated cuz i get no response or call back from them. They said it would only take 1 week and they will place an order right away that day when I came to the kiosk. I end up buying a new one instead of getting a replacement, waiting for a battery for 3 months is pretty annoying. I don't use the forums that's why I was not able to get help from you guys.