Koodo Community

Community

Solved

LG G3 sim issue then reboots

Userlevel 1
My daughters LG G3 started giving an error about the sim then rebooted last night.  Works for a little bit, same error, then reboots.  She took it in to a Koodo kiosk to see if the sim was bad, unfortunately, it wasnt since it worked in their test phone.  So basically they said she needs a new phone.  And its off warranty

The phone has been in a protective case since day one, and never been exposed to water damage.  Can phones just go like that?  I can see if you drop it, etc.   But just like that, bad phone.

She still has 7 months on her tab, are there any things phone wise I can look at to try and fix it.   Have others had issue with this.

I still want to go to the Koodo kiosk with her and see how long they tested the sim for.  Since last night on reboot the SIM did work for awhile, then fail.  Did they just plug it into their test phone for a few seconds and say ya its good, or actually leave it for awhile.

Any help would be appreciated.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I had a friend with an LG G3 that died after about a year and a half. The phone would just shut off every 5 or so minutes. Some phones are just faulty phones and will die sooner than others. Its a shame that you no longer have warranty on the phone. Although it is probably a faulty phone it could be an easy fix as well though but to answer your question, yes, phones can just die like that.
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

I had a friend with an LG G3 that died after about a year and a half. The phone would just shut o...

Thanks.  Im just used to my current phone, 4 year old nokia 520 with Windows, going strong.  My old Palm Treo was 5 years old, and only broke due to a huge fall.  My son got the same LG phone the same day.  Id rather have a phone die due to "reasons" as in, dropped it in the lake, or it fell down the stairs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some lens cleaning tissue wrapped around a toothpick and soaked in 90% rubbing alcohol can be used gently to clean the SIM contacts. Since it's intermittent, you might consider rolling the dice and buying a replacement SIM for a few bucks.

Before considering trading the phone, try a hard factory reset to see if it's a software issue.
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Some lens cleaning tissue wrapped around a toothpick and soaked in 90% rubbing alcohol can be us...

Thought I had it licked last night.  Backed up the phone first with the LG software onto a laptop.  The phone works fine minus the sim card issue.  Cleaned the card and contacts and as well put a small paper shim in to make it fit tighter.  Then did a factory reset from the LG settings.  Worked all night with tests and calls.  Then restored all settings and still worked.  Left it on over night to download any updates, and this morning same thing.  Wont see the sim, or if it does, for a little while, then errors and reboots.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Some lens cleaning tissue wrapped around a toothpick and soaked in 90% rubbing alcohol can be us...

See then if you get the same problem with another sim in it. If you don't know anyone who can lend you theirs for several minutes or something then you can go to a Koodo or Telus store and have a demo sim put in.

Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

She did that yesterday, they had a test phone at the kiosk, put her sim in theirs, it worked fine, but their sim in hers, wouldn't work.  Although after a reboot or reinsertion of her sim card, it does work for awhile.  Im trying another wipe today, but not restoring from a backup.  Thats what I did last night, so she didnt lose settings, etc, etc.  Was restored from the Gmail cloud backup.  Today Im restoring like she first got it, see if that works
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Gotcha. Interesting that reboots/reinserts are fixing it temporarily. Seems like it might be more software related than the sim slot being an issue. It might have to come down to flashing the device entirely and do a fresh install.
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

What does flashing the device mean?  I have done a software reset to factory.  Is that the same thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

It means that you wipe the OS entirely and freshly install it again. A factory reset doesn't truly wipe the device entirely. I haven't done lg devices but most seem able to be done. There's a bevy of resources at the xda forum community for it. This process tends to void the warranty but since you're over our warranty period anyways, it can be worth a go depending on how comfortable you are with it
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Thanks, thought doing a software reset via the phone settings was the same.  Ill try that.   On a side not, can Telus phones be used on Koodo without unlocking them.  When I check the phone settings the network says Telus, even though its a Koodo phone.  I know koodo is a Telus offshoot.  Reason I am asking I can probably get a next to new Telus phone for her used.
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Would a full phone cause this sort of issue.  When I backed up her pictures they were 10GB at least, videos not sure.  Phone has 32GB of internal storage  The phone worked great last night, but then I reloaded her phone back with her pictures and videos over night as well as installed all her old apps. When she went to use it this morning, same SIm card error and issue.  Wondering if that filled it up and could cause weird issues.   Since the software reset this morning, the phone has been working for over an hour.  Only thing on it are the default apps so far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

[i]....all her [b]old apps... something [b]there might be the culprit. Try running the handset without extra apps and pix for a few days. Doesn't sound like the SIM is the problem.

The LG3 has a card slot that can take substantial extra storage. The SD cards are often available on sale at Staples, BestBuy, Amazon, etc. Putting all the pix and videos on a separate card keeps them out of the system area and makes them truly portable if the phone does finally collapse.
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Thanks.  I have a spare microsd card if she wants.  I have a feeling it was the full phone.  Been running for almost 3 hours now no problem.  I have even reinstalled any of her apps off google store.  But I didnt import her backup from the cloud, so its like when she first got the phone.  She can import her contacts after from the usb backup I made
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

A full phone shouldnt be the problem but it sounds as though there is something downloaded (a virus of sorts or maybe just a bad app) that is causing the sim card to fail. You can try booting the phone in safe mode and if it works then this proves there is a bad app downloaded on the phone.
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Not sure, any apps she had werent out of the ordinary, but computers when their hard drives get full do weird things.   All I know is the phone has been running, connecting, and working for almost 4 hours now.   Or becaue I didnt restore from the cloud backup, there was something weird in the old setup. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Electronics are weird that way. Glad to hear everything is working now though!
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

So all was good, worked all day yesterday and last night.  Daughter powers it off for the night, turns it on, no sim card. Different issue then before, since it would give a weird sim card error, then reboot.  Now it just doesnt see it.  Question is, can SIm cards be flaky?  The test at the Kiosk really wasnt a test, they had it in their test phone for maybe 30 seconds.   When it was acting weird a couple days ago, the same thing happened.  Worked for a little while, then would give the issue.  So can a sim card do that, or do they basically work or dont work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Have you tried booting the phone in safe mode? If not boot it into safe mode and run it for at least 24 hours. If no sim error appears than there is something downloaded on your phone that is causing this error. If you do recieve the error than either something is wrong with the sim reader in the phone or the sim card.

Here are instructions from LG to boot your phone into safe mode:
  1. Press and hold the Power button (located on the back) until Phone options is displayed then release.
  2. Touch and hold Power off until Restart in safe mode is displayed.
  3. From the Reboot to safe mode prompt, tap Turn on safe mode. [img]https://scache.vzw.com/kb/images/common/linote.gif[/img] This restart process may take up to one minute to complete. [img]https://scache.vzw.com/kb/images/common/linote.gif[/img] Upon restart, Safe mode appears in the lower left of the unlock/home screen
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Ill try that, but the apps that are on it arent out of the ordinary.  I have been reading that a shim in the card reader helps to, as it creates extra pressure so its more secure.  Maybe thats why it worked all day yesterday.  I really didnt transport it anywhere, it just sat on my desk.   I think Ill go to Koodo Kiosk again and ask them to test the card for more then a few second in their test phone.  Leave it in for 30 minutes or something
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Well after trying everything I could think of since Tuesday, including the cut piece of business card trick for a better sim card fit, the phone was so random from working for a long time after reboot, to not after 10 minutes.  Bought a new sim card and phone has been fine since Saturday.  So that was probably the issue all along since it was such a sudden issue.   Thanks for the help everyone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Glad to hear you got it fixed!
Ways To Resolve The No SIM Card Error In Android

Solution 1: Restart Your Device
Solution 2: Check The SIM Tray
Solution 3: Place The SIM Securely On The Tray
Solution 4: Toggle Airplane Mode
Solution 5: Set Network Mode To Auto
Solution 6: Choose The Right Network Operator
For more solutions check LG G3 Manual. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
jaspreet kaur wrote:

Ways To Resolve The No SIM Card Error In Android

Solution 1: Restart Your Device
Solution 2: Che...

The thread is 5 months old and the OP was able to find out what was wrong. No need to necro it at this point, especially when these solutions were advised already.